• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

whats the easiest way to create a "sandstorm" effect??

pixeltroid

Im talking about an effect like the one in the video starting at 17 seconds...

I made a suitable image for a sandstorm and set it as a scrolling "foreground"... it looks fine but the problem is that it scolls over my HUD!

D

dannyjenn

I think you're on the right track. You just need to draw the HUD after you draw the sandstorm. The easiest way to do that would be to put the HUD object on a layer above whatever layer the sandstorm is on.

samspade

Im talking about an effect like the one in the video starting at 17 seconds...

I made a suitable image for a sandstorm and set it as a scrolling "foreground"... it looks fine but the problem is that it scolls over my HUD!
Basically what dannyjenn said, but I would add that your sandstorm should be in a normal draw event and your HUD should be in a GUI draw event as it will (1) then draw over everything not in the GUI layer (e.g. the game world) by default and (2) you won't have to do a bunch of math to make things follow the view because they're in room space rather than hud space.