• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

With the Google+API Shutdown Google play services has stopped working

If you're having the same problem you can use the "Google Signin" extension ($19.99 on Marketplace) but it doesn't support Achievements and Leaderboards.

Last edited:

Mert

I'm also worried about this because my apps use Google Play Games extension too. For now, I'm planning to stop using leaderboards and achievements up until the new extension is rolled out.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I simply do not understand the passivity that so many people demonstrate around here about official extensions. This is not the first time that YoYo has neglected their official extensions in face of a vendor API deadline, and it won't be the last. The extensions come in source code form, so it's not like we're entirely powerless.

Sure, it's morally YoYo's job to keep the official extensions up to date, and on the Roadmap they'll take a detailed sweep of it in Q2 2019. But they might not get to the root of all of this in time (given how far the backlog in official extensions go), and after this blitz they'll likely leave it in the attic again for another year. The chances of YOU having to self-service the extensions in the meanwhile to meet a deadline is almost certain.

I'll cut you guys a deal: If you guys learn to take it into your own hands and pick up some basic Android extension skills, I'll commit to learning these skills as well. Then we can all have each others' backs until YoYo starts taking things seriously, if they ever do. Or you can learn another engine where the equivalent extensions are actively maintained and don't require your manual intervention every damned time, it's your choice and YoYo deserves it if you take that route.

Kaguva

Hi!

i will upgrade my assets soon,

I got economy support of GameMaker users interested in GooglePlay assets

What is the plan?

GooglePlay: Link
  • SignIn
  • Achievements
  • Leaderboards
  • Cloud Saving
  • Compatible with the mentioned assets
RealTime Multiplayer: Link
  • Compatible with all mentioned assets

TurnBase Multiplayer: Link
  • Compatible with all mentioned assets
IAPs onDate: Link
  • implentation of the last version with InApps and Subcriptions for iOS and Android
  • Compatibili with all mecioned assets
Admob onDate: Link
  • Compatible all the mentioned assets
Firebase: Link
  • Auth GooglePlayServices
  • Compatible all the mentioned assets

If you want aport this update contact me at
[email protected]

Thanks

Last edited:

Joh

Ok, so I'm confused, is google play services dead for everyone?
Made a thread in tech support (not knowing this) and while others seem to have the issue, its certainly not catching on like a widespread issue.
Was there a new extension since then? (well, i have most recent and its still not working)
Is there any actual solution?
How did this happen! (really wish I had seen this thread when it first came up)

G

Gabriel

Ok, so I'm confused, is google play services dead for everyone?
Made a thread in tech support (not knowing this) and while others seem to have the issue, its certainly not catching on like a widespread issue.
Was there a new extension since then? (well, i have most recent and its still not working)
Is there any actual solution?
How did this happen! (really wish I had seen this thread when it first came up)
Apparently YoYo Games made a post indicating a workaround to delete the Google+ functionality from the extension while a new version don't come out: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us...ices-extension-to-remove-the-Google-component.

It's not that hard to do, but I followed every step, cleared the cache, exported a new APK and Google Play Services remain dead in my game.... (typical YoYo Games non-solution).

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Apparently YoYo Games made a post indicating a workaround to delete the Google+ functionality from the extension while a new version don't come out: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us...ices-extension-to-remove-the-Google-component.

It's not that hard to do, but I followed every step, cleared the cache, exported a new APK and Google Play Services remain dead in my game.... (typical YoYo Games non-solution).
Hey, I took a look at this and as I understand, it should be working correctly. The developer working on updating the GPS extension ahead of Google+ going away has updated the Marketplace extension as of March 5th

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/2008/google-play-services

We have run into an issue with the MP showing the latest version details incorrectly on the page. So we will look into this.

With this latest version of the GMS2 extension and 2.2.2 it should be working without issue. If you are still experiencing an issue can you please report it here: https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us#select

The Helpdesk FAQ that you link to was only a temporary solution and should no longer be published so I apologise and have removed it.

G

so, just to clarify, the marketplace extension should reflect something more recent than 3.0.1? Is there a workaround or direct link to get the newer version?

Edit: Okay, downloading the extension downloads version 3.1.1, despite what it says on the page... I'd been waiting for the page to reflect an update. I'm glad @rmanthorp looked into this or else I would've kept on assuming that YYG was continuing to ignore the asset.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gabriel

Hey, I took a look at this and as I understand, it should be working correctly. The developer working on updating the GPS extension ahead of Google+ going away has updated the Marketplace extension as of March 5th

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/2008/google-play-services

We have run into an issue with the MP showing the latest version details incorrectly on the page. So we will look into this.

With this latest version of the GMS2 extension and 2.2.2 it should be working without issue. If you are still experiencing an issue can you please report it here: https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us#select

The Helpdesk FAQ that you link to was only a temporary solution and should no longer be published so I apologise and have removed it.
Thanks, but my game is 3 years old and I have had issues with these official extensions from the start. Unfortunately I can't make the latest version of the Google Play Services Extension to work, since it always throws a lint error (which is weird, because if I add it to a blank project it doesn't happen). So I have to stick to the old version, which lets me compile with no errors, despite not calling the Google Play Services because of the Google+ closing thing.

pipebkOT

@Gabriel

the extension 3.1.1 works fine, if it trows you lint errors the logical thing to do would be reading the lint report to know why it can't compile, or just opening a new thread so can people help you :rolleyes:
not giving up at the first try and going back to 3.0.1 ;)

but if you were going for the easy way you could have just unchecked the lint analysis and it would compile anyways just fine

also remeber to clean the cache always after updating/adding extensions, otherwise it will give you errors about the dependecies not existing

and.... you need to also check your version of google play services on
your phone when you are testing, you should at least have the version is 16.0.89 apk to make it work

after all that, you can read the updated tutorials

https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004274212-Android-Google-Play-Services-Logging-In

E

ethian

Google+ shut down because it was one of the failed social media according to a video by DrossRotzank...

G

Gabriel

@Gabriel

the extension 3.1.1 works fine, if it trows you lint errors the logical thing to do would be reading the lint report to know why it can't compile, or just opening a new thread so can people help you :rolleyes:
not giving up at the first try and going back to 3.0.1 ;)

but if you were going for the easy way you could have just unchecked the lint analysis and it would compile anyways just fine

also remeber to clean the cache always after updating/adding extensions, otherwise it will give you errors about the dependecies not existing

and.... you need to also check your version of google play services on
your phone when you are testing, you should at least have the version is 16.0.89 apk to make it work

after all that, you can read the updated tutorials

https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004274212-Android-Google-Play-Services-Logging-In
I read the lint report and it says something like the extension is using different API versions and that can cause conflict,so it throws an error.

I don't even bother opening a new thread because I lost hope in GMS support and my game got to its final version last year. I just want it to work on Google Play.

I also unchecked the lint analysis, and although the game is compiled successfully, it crashes on launch when I try it on my phone.

And I also always clean the cache before exporting.

Everything is nice and updated on my device.

But anyway, at least I can still compile with the older version of the extension, despite the fact that Google Play Services do not activate on my game.

I'm going through the same problem in my game, but it's related to cloud save. Can anyone tell me if it also stopped working? I'm using GM 1.4. and gogleplayservice 3.0.1
How do I disable the Google + API for the google play service extension? I've tried everything, but always the mistake

G

Gabriel

I'm going through the same problem in my game, but it's related to cloud save. Can anyone tell me if it also stopped working? I'm using GM 1.4. and gogleplayservice 3.0.1
How do I disable the Google + API for the google play service extension? I've tried everything, but always the mistake
Yes. I have cloud save too and it is not working because all is related to Google Play Services.
The only way to "disable" the Google+ API is actually updating the extension to the latest version.
Note that GM 1.4 does not support adaptive icons.

Yes. I have cloud save too and it is not working because all is related to Google Play Services.
The only way to "disable" the Google+ API is actually updating the extension to the latest version.
Note that GM 1.4 does not support adaptive icons.
Thanks @Gabriel for clarifying my doubt ^^
In case the last version of the extension would be the same 3.0.1?
And at the moment we can only expect a new update from Yoyo in the case :(

G

Gabriel

Thanks @Gabriel for clarifying my doubt ^^
In case the last version of the extension would be the same 3.0.1?
And at the moment we can only expect a new update from Yoyo in the case :(
Have you tried to update the extension inside GMS? The latest version is actually 3.1.1.
Not sure if it works with GMS 1.4. You might want to consider exporting your game to GMS2 if the error persists.

Have you tried to update the extension inside GMS? The latest version is actually 3.1.1.
Not sure if it works with GMS 1.4. You might want to consider exporting your game to GMS2 if the error persists.
I tried to import extension of the library, but I realized that the GM 1.4 this function does not work anymore:

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/solved-no-connection-to-marketplace-gm-s-1-4.55136/

I wanted to try 3.1.1 to see if it would solve my problem.

Unfortunately I still have no financial recourse to buy GM2 at 1.4.

I'm willing to launch my game and with it raise money to buy and migrate to GM2. Only this issue of the save cloud is missing in order to launch the game with IAP and have the data of the players safe. But my game is stopped 1 month after discovering that the features of google play service stopped working :(

G

Gabriel

I tried to import extension of the library, but I realized that the GM 1.4 this function does not work anymore:

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/solved-no-connection-to-marketplace-gm-s-1-4.55136/

I wanted to try 3.1.1 to see if it would solve my problem.

Unfortunately I still have no financial recourse to buy GM2 at 1.4.

I'm willing to launch my game and with it raise money to buy and migrate to GM2. Only this issue of the save cloud is missing in order to launch the game with IAP and have the data of the players safe. But my game is stopped 1 month after discovering that the features of google play service stopped working :(
I know exactly how that feels. I had a lot of issues along the way and also had to put my game on hold until I found the right solution.

As for the Google Play Services extension I'm not sure what can you do, since the marketplace is not supported anymore in GMS 1.4 (I didn't even remember that previously).
The only workaround that occurs to me is getting the extension as a downloadable file, but I'm not sure if or how you could do that.