OFFICIAL Price Reduced for Mobile Products

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
It is part of our ongoing effort to make game making more accessible, and so we have decided to make a big change to our mobile pricing.

From today, we have changed the following prices:
• Mobile (including iOS, Android & Fire exports) is now $199, down from $399
• Fire (including Amazon Fire export) is now $99, down from $149

https://www.yoyogames.com/get

Thanks.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Angry mob of people who bought it a week ago in 3... 2... 1...

Obligatory sass aside, that's a massive cut, probably on par with the biggest sale these modules have had, especially Mobile, and it's not just a temporary sale? I upgraded the whole bunch from 1.x MC, so this doesn't affect me, but it should certainly go a long way to help out aspiring mobile developers get their feet wet.

JeffJ

Very cool move.

Here's hoping something similar will be done for console, or ultimate license holders... :p

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Jokes on you, I bought it for $100

Also, I don't think the price has been updated on Steam yet

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Sorry, but I don't think this hits the real pain point. Even $19 is too much when YoYo doesn't bother to devote time to get rid of a little permission in time for an API shutdown (you know what I mean), and instead forces end users to put an official offering under the knife. More focus needs to be in support, not affordability.
Yep. That's top of our list for 2.2.4! EDIT: Actually those specific extensions from that link got updated for 2.2.2 and should already be working. If that's still not the case then I'll have to investigate more.

Last edited:
C

CombatCalamity

It is part of our ongoing effort to make game making more accessible, and so we have decided to make a big change to our mobile pricing.

Thanks.
Nice! Can you guys also update your price on Steam also?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Yep. That's top of our list for 2.2.4!
This has got to be the most tone-deaf thing I've heard from YoYo staff in years, second only to Mike's claim in 1.1.666 that the Jolly Roger was a joke meant for pirates.

Are you aware that Google+ folded just over a week ago, and YoYo's Google Play Services extension on the Marketplace has NOT worked properly since then?

Are you aware that the writing has been on the wall for at least half a year now (reminder), and the extension in question has not been touched since last May?

Are you aware that the most your team has offered during this time was an unofficial hack that was not adequately announced to affected users, and there are still people struggling with it (example)?

In the meanwhile, Kaguva's marketplace solutions have been working seamlessly throughout this transition. A one-man gig outdid and out-responded a team of over 50 developers, none of whom seemed to give a damn.

Given how widespread the Google Play Services use case is for the Android export, this needs immediate attention, not more stalling tactics.

For you to think that users affected by this should continue to wait for 2.2.4 in Q3 is absolutely shameless.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
This has got to be the most tone-deaf thing I've heard from YoYo staff in years, second only to Mike's claim in 1.1.666 that the Jolly Roger was a joke meant for pirates.

Are you aware that Google+ folded just over a week ago, and YoYo's Google Play Services extension on the Marketplace has NOT worked properly since then?

Are you aware that the writing has been on the wall for at least half a year now (reminder), and the extension in question has not been touched since last May?

Are you aware that the most your team has offered during this time was an unofficial hack that was not adequately announced to affected users, and there are still people struggling with it (example)?

In the meanwhile, Kaguva's marketplace solutions have been working seamlessly throughout this transition. A one-man gig outdid and out-responded a team of over 50 developers, none of whom seemed to give a damn.

Given how widespread the Google Play Services use case is for the Android export, this needs immediate attention, not more stalling tactics.

For you to think that users affected by this should continue to wait for 2.2.4 in Q3 is absolutely shameless.
Yeah, I was not totally aware of the situation. I'm investigating now.

also, please 'over 50 developers' is strictly false.

OK SO as I understood things is as we believe them to be currently.

The developer working on updating the GPS extension ahead of Google+ going away was aware and has updated the Marketplace extension as of March 5th

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/2008/google-play-services

From this, we have run into an issue with the MP showing the latest version details incorrectly on the page. So we will look into this.

IF this is still an issue with the latest version of the GMS2 extension and 2.2.2 then I kindly ask someone to report this issue because we believe this is fixed.

The Helpdesk FAQ which was a temporary solution, so no longer be published so I apologise and have removed it.

Last edited:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
also, please 'over 50 developers' is strictly false.
How many are there now? The "team of 50" figure came from when YoYo hired additional staff during GMS 2's initial development. If that's no longer applicable or the scale of the hiring has been misstated, then I apologize for the misinformation.

But if the Google Play Services extension is to remain among YoYo's offerings, the exact number of staff doesn't matter as much as what the name in charge of it is. It's YoYo's plugin, and we paid YoYo via the mobile export to keep key integrations alive. Whether YoYo has 5 developers or 50, the obligation is the same.

L

lazyeye

Man. I try to stay quiet around to forums but I just have to say something here, specifically to you @FrostyCat . Your consistent level of toxicity on these forums is abhorrent. And its not just you, there are plenty on the GMC who do nothing but stalk the forums until Ross posts an update and then dunk on YYG, but your name is the one I see most consistently.

At the end of the day, what is it you want? Do you want a better experience for users of GM? Do you want our community to have better relations with YYG? Do you just want your own experience to improve? Regardless, your approach is inexcusable and wrong. This is not how a professional conducts themselves.

Has YYG had shortcomings? Yes. Does GameMaker have issues? Absolutely yes. Does that warrant the level of toxicity this forums sees? Absolutely not. And its the reason that myself and many others so sharply avoid using this website.

Before you post your messages here, take a good second to consider the human being you're speaking to on the other side of the screen. You're not arguing with some chat bot. You're consistently throwing hateful messages towards real employees trying to help you -- most often a community manager who is the messenger between the community and upper management.

C

CombatCalamity

Man. I try to stay quiet around to forums but I just have to say something here, specifically to you @FrostyCat . Your consistent level of toxicity on these forums is abhorrent. And its not just you, there are plenty on the GMC who do nothing but stalk the forums until Ross posts an update and then dunk on YYG, but your name is the one I see most consistently.

At the end of the day, what is it you want? Do you want a better experience for users of GM? Do you want our community to have better relations with YYG? Do you just want your own experience to improve? Regardless, your approach is inexcusable and wrong. This is not how a professional conducts themselves.

Has YYG had shortcomings? Yes. Does GameMaker have issues? Absolutely yes. Does that warrant the level of toxicity this forums sees? Absolutely not. And its the reason that myself and many others so sharply avoid using this website.

Before you post your messages here, take a good second to consider the human being you're speaking to on the other side of the screen. You're not arguing with some chat bot. You're consistently throwing hateful messages towards real employees trying to help you -- most often a community manager who is the messenger between the community and upper management.
Not gonna dickride here, but can you imagine being put in one of those poor souls who make a living from making android apps using GM?

Or literally any professional who needs to make games with multiple people but simply cannot due to the fact that up to this day, source control integration is very poor with GM?

He's annoying at times but his toxicity has some points... if you'd just understand the frustration, us, who need to feed our family using this tool with very real deadlines you'd be okay with him saying those... I disagree with some of his etiquettes, however. Screaming at novices because they don't understand what he calls "elementary physics" is just absurd of him. But on this case honestly he's not wrong.

Seriously, is it too much to ask for a properly functioning product that just works? Mobile export is very expensive, yet now you have problems publishing, which disrupts work and earning? Also the fact that a single person made an (paid) extension that fixed exactly this problem don't you think there's gotta be something wrong on YoYo's end? That's not counting other issues that plague GM since day one too, mind you. Now YoYo just acts like as if they were to accept the fact that they got many flaws. They realised that $400 is too much, so they 'delayed' the problem by lowering the cost instead of fixing the darn thing.

Last edited:
L

lazyeye

if you'd just understand the frustration, us, who need to feed our family using this tool with very real deadlines you'd be okay with him saying those...
I dropped out of college a year ago to work full time in GameMaker. 100% of my income comes from work using GMS2. I'm not addressing the Android issues. I'm addressing the behavior. No situation excuses the toxicity.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
He's annoying at times but his toxicity has some points...
If you can't voice your concerns in a way that isn't "toxic" I would say then that your points won't be heard. In my (long) experience in customer service of one kind or another, I've found that the more aggressive and hostil the behaviour, the more likely you are to just be ignored, and the "good points" get lost in the noise. ;)

I dropped out of college a year ago to work full time in GameMaker. 100% of my income comes from work using GMS2. I'm not addressing the Android issues. I'm addressing the behavior. No situation excuses the toxicity.
Exactly. Couldn't have put it better.

That said, let's not get into this discussion here, as that's not what this topic is for...

C

Chris

if you'd just understand the frustration, us, who need to feed our family using this tool with very real deadlines you'd be okay with him saying those
One of my main sources of income is from GM. It's a job. I'm still not okay with him saying those things. Frankly I don't care what the point is when delivered with toxicity like that. Put into the community what you wish to get out of it, it's all of our responsibility to be respectful and make this community the best it can be. No excuses.

If you're unhappy, go scream into a pillow or something. Throwing shade at YYG isn't going to make them work harder or faster. They are doing their best, big kudos to them.

Edit: To contribute to the actual topic at hand, I think this is a super cool move. Thanks Ross/YYG, this is great news!

Last edited by a moderator:

meseta

There is really only one reason I don't hang around the forums more, it's the negativity. And from what I hear, a lot of others feel the same.

These forums are full of wonderful people and informative posts. it is such a shame that despite the positives and pleasant disposition of the majority, a minority responsible for the toxicity drives people away.

It is always possible to raise valid points without the hostility. And valid criticisms are more likely to be heard if they aren't wrapped in unabated cynicism.

I look forward to hearing more good news from YYG, and I don't want to wade through the vitriol and hate that follows it, I want to see discussion and constructive criticism, which I am absolutely sure everyone here is capable of if they set their mind to it.

C

CombatCalamity

You then either don't work on Android games, don't rely on the play services that broke or simply don't mind the critical pause of the work, great! Good for you. Too bad this does not apply to everyone.

One of my main sources of income is from GM. It's a job. I'm still not okay with him saying those things. Frankly I don't care what the point is when delivered with toxicity like that. Put into the community what you wish to get out of it, it's all of our responsibility to be respectful and make this community the best it can be. No excuses.

If you're unhappy, go scream into a pillow or something. Throwing shade at YYG isn't going to make them work harder or faster. They are doing their best, big kudos to them.
Again, not for everyone. You're in a good enough position say for example to have this as a part time job, unlike some.

Some others really suffer from this, I tell you.

But I get your point.

Alright alright everyone, I don't deny the fact that Frostie is an ass. But perhaps lets just focus on his points a little bit more than our feelings? Simply because it's better for us. Let's just hope that YoYo really takes note on this and speeds up the work a little bit. In the end you're all using the same tool as him. He honestly contributes pretty good amount in terms of problem solving things that are genuinely useful throughout the forum, despite of his toxicity.:)

Good day!

JeffJ

I completely agree that things need to be said as constructively as possible, and with consideration to the human on the other end.

That being said, I do see both sides of the coin here. I don't think Frosty is being overly toxic in this topic, and you need to keep in mind that these are things that have been consistently raised by the community for several years and is still in a rather unfortunate state. At some point, you have to stress the points with a bit more urgency. This isn't the first, second or third time these issues (and many others) have been raised. I can understand why someone's patience will wear out when dealing with these things for so long and so consistently. I myself have several things that I initially reported as completely neutral bugs. Then 6 months went by, they were still there. Then a year. Some of them have now been reported and YYG has been well aware for several years. And they're still not fixed. I'm not saying that excuses being hateful, but I do get why that gets someone to a point where the patience wears thin.

Lastly, I don't personally perceive him as being hateful in this topic - but as I understand that the eyes are in the beholder, I would genuinely like to ask, how would you prefer those same points be made? Again, with the context that this has been consistent status quo for years. I'm genuinely curious to hear what would be perceived as non toxic, while still getting the point across.

It's a shame that a topic that is just pure awesome and good news turns out like this, but now that the discussion is rolling, I think it's interesting to hear what people think. Maybe we can all learn from each other towards a better, more constructive communication in the future.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Well, I don't think Frosty's being especially toxic (pardon me if that's not the correct usage of the adverb). It's just how any user base works. Some will appear angry and some will talk nicely. Problems arise when the community starts fighting over what behavior is acceptable, when it's nothing outright rude or against the rules. If they want to be salty, let them be.

And its the reason that myself and many others so sharply avoid using this website.
@lazyeye I think you're exaggerating it. I use this site a lot and I have honestly no idea what you're talking about. Toxicity/negativity isn't really common, it's just like any other forum that exists. Sure, it isn't like Reddit, where negativity is downvoted and hidden from view. Here, everything is open for everyone to read.

Last edited:

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
What in the world are you people talking about? Frosty has said absolutely nothing that could be deemed toxic in this thread. His feedback has been direct, clear, and well-referenced. I would rather have someone like him aggressively argue these issues than someone who is too scared to cause offence cowering in the corner pretending everything is perfect. It's not. We are paying customers and GameMaker has serious shortcomings that need to be addressed, especially when it comes to the support of third-party platforms which have been critically underserved for years now.

The topic of support for third-party platforms, and YoYo's respective failings, are completely relevant in this thread. Being vocal is the only way to enact genuine change - don't shame people for speaking passionately about GameMaker just because they don't feel inclined to present their arguments in a timid manner that appeases your fragile sensibilities. In the absence of personal attacks and vulgar language, be careful not to mistake passion for toxicity because they're truly a world apart.

Last edited:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

What in the world are you people talking about? Frosty has said absolutely nothing that could be deemed toxic in this thread. His feedback has been direct, clear, and passionate. I would rather have someone like him aggressively argue these issues than someone who is too scared to cause offence cowering in the corner pretending everything is fine. It's not. We are paying customers and GameMaker has serious shortcomings that need to be addressed, especially when it comes to the support of third-party platforms which have been critically undervalued for years now.

The topic of support for third-party platforms, and YoYo's respective failings, are completely relevant in this thread. Being vocal is the only way to enact genuine change - don't shame people for being passionate about GameMaker just because they don't feel inclined to present their arguments in a timid manner that appeases your fragile sensibilities. In the absence of personal attacks and vulgar language, don't mistake aggression and passion for toxicity because they're truly a world apart.
He may be blunt sometimes but I would never say toxic. I haven't read what he said in this thread yet but I can already know what you say is true.

Now, misty on the other hand... (kidding, just bouncing off a different discussion)

XanthorXIII

I don’t see where Frostycat is being Toxic. He’s trying to get an issue addressed that YoYo is stumbling around in the dark on. Saying that it’s set for a fix in 2.2.4 which it should have been fixed at the time or at least in patch 2.2.2 so that projects aren’t held up is being tone deaf. It seems like YoYo wants to do better and we’re seeing good examples, we still need them to set the bar higher and be a leader. If we don’t see that, then that’s where we start looking for others that are doing that already.

popley303

Just bought the mobile deal. I have been waiting for about a month to decide on which one to buy, between fire and desktop, but when I saw you reduced the price for mobile, I jumped out of my chair and bought it. Want to say thank you so much for the price drop!

A

Aaron Salas

Thanks.
Was this supposed to be a permanent price reduction or a sale? I see it is back to $399 after the latest update with trial being 30 days now. I was saving the money for mobile but wasn't aware that the price might go back up. Maybe I'll get it on steam if the price isn't changed.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Was this supposed to be a permanent price reduction or a sale? I see it is back to $399 after the latest update with trial being 30 days now. I was saving the money for mobile but wasn't aware that the price might go back up. Maybe I'll get it on steam if the price isn't changed.
the actual module is $199 (on checkout/etc.), the page seemed to have gotten a mixup

F

Frank Perry

Thanks.
will uwp get the price reduction to a reasonable price point, it seems it's the one forgotten about?