• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Game crashes on startup with steam API enabled GMS2

Roastedzerg

I am trying to add steam achievements to our game but when i checked the box for Steam through game maker preferences, set the SDK path, and typed the correct steam app ID, then compiled the game into an EXE the game now crashes before it starts. To clarify, our game Killer Clowns is already on steam and i have tried both versions of SDK 1.42 and 1.43 with both producing the same result, that is, the EXE crashing on startup.

We've already made all the achievements and ive made many steam depot updates in the past that worked till now. Its hard to find anything specific to GMS2 so im making a post in hopes that you guys might know how to solve this.
Thank you for the help, let me know if i need to elaborate on anything.

EDIT: Do i need to get GMS2 on Steam for the API to function correctly?

Last edited:

Roastedzerg

Problem persists, i can't be the only one with this problem. Someone has to know how to fix steam crashing your game. It only happens when i check the 'enable steam' checkbox in preferences. This was a problem when i was on GMS1 and continues to be a burden in GMS2. Yet i can't find any solutions so far other than not having steam achievements, but i know there are plenty of game maker games that have steam achievements so i know its possible.

Last edited:

Roastedzerg

Bump, problem persists. For some reason my game will run as an executable just fine if i turn off the checkbox for Steam in preferences (can't use Steam api) , but crashes as an executable if i turn the Steam checkbox on (allowing me to use Steam Api).

Roastedzerg

Bump, the guys at support aren't helping very much. The last thing they told me was the following:
Out of interest are you using the Steam IDE? We've found a bug where the APP ID for Steam will use the APP ID for GMS2 rather than the one specified so that's potentially why your game is crashing on start up.
Does anybody know how i could check this? Like, how do i make sure Steam is using the correct APP ID? Figured i'd ask the community while i wait another week or 2 for a reply from support.