Legacy GM audio system not working, please switch to FMOD

M

Misty

Hi I'm using GMS 1.4 but I'm pretty sure the exact same thing happens on GMS 2.0 as well. Haven't tested it on GMS 2.0 yet because I'm fairly sure the audio engine is almost the same.
Went ahead and tested in GM 2.0, the bug only happens in GM 1.4.

The audio of GMS 1.4 will not falloff at all. All it does is pan. Here is my code:
audio_falloff_set_model(audio_falloff_linear_distance)
audio_emitter_falloff(argument0,100,300, 1);
audio_listener_set_position(0,10000,0,0);
audio_emitter_position(argument0,x-camera.x,y-camera.y+1000,z-camera.z)

According to this code I should not hear the sound yet I can hear it full volume. I put random numbers and all it does is pan and the volume is the same.

gm's audio seems like something suited for 1980s games, when can we get something like FMOD that seems more based in the 2000s.

Last edited:

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Audio system had seen an overhaul in last updates of 1.4 and continued fixes/tweaks in 2.x, so feel free to try things out before making topics in future.

M

Misty

Audio system had seen an overhaul in last updates of 1.4 and continued fixes/tweaks in 2.x, so feel free to try things out before making topics in future.
I have the latest gm 1.4999. I think GMS 2 audio is about the same, I have used GMS 2 before, you know. Haven't tested to see if this particular bug is in GMS 2 or not, I will in a moment hold on.

Yeah the bug is still not in GMS2. I don't know what you mean by overhaul but what I mean is you guys should upgrade to something like FMOD that has features such as reverb, higher sound quality, muffled sounds, more falloff options, chorus, multiple listeners, etc.

Last edited:
M

Misty

Yeah man its still doing it again, here is my GM2 project. I tried to make a new project to show someone how to use the sounds: Here is the blank test project that does not work
http://www.filedropper.com/soundtest

By some miracle I got 3d sounds to work in the past, must have been a fluke because I cant get it to work anymore in blank test projects. Let me know what you think.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You need to set the falloff model BEFORE you emit any sounds. If you do that then the example file you provided works fine. I'll update the manual to make this more obvious (the code example shows this, but doesn't explicitly state it).

M

Misty

Oh ok. Yeah it works now, thanks lol

Although one thing. Doppler effect still doesnt seem to work (I put emitter_velocity but nothing happens.)

Last edited:

kupo15

You need to set the falloff model BEFORE you emit any sounds. If you do that then the example file you provided works fine. I'll update the manual to make this more obvious (the code example shows this, but doesn't explicitly state it).
You just have to set the falloff model once, right? Like it can be done in the create event at game start and not before every emitter? Or is it ok to give different models before each sound so they all have different models if desired? The manual to me got me confused on this

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You just have to set the falloff model once, right? Like it can be done in the create event at game start and not before every emitter? Or is it ok to give different models before each sound so they all have different models if desired? The manual to me got me confused on this
Without testing I can't say, tbh. I know that when I wrote it, the answer to this question was YES, but I'm older and wiser now and think I should test and see what happens if you change it between playing different sounds... I suspect that it will change for all subsequent sounds after each change, but if you have an already playing loop then it may not change that and keep the loop using the previous falloff model (which would nicely explain why it didn't change the sound playing for Misty).

M

Misty

My guess is you can only use the first model but I am not sure. It is relatively easy to test, just put a 2nd emitter in the game I uploaded and see.

My question for Nocturne is, I cannot seem to get doppler to work in the game I uploaded, I adjust velocity of the emitter but nothing seems to happen.