Smoother Graphics like The Minish Cap

S

SirDude

I am currently working on a game with an art style similar to The Legend Of Zelda: The Minish Cap.
After creating player sprites in the same style, I noticed that in the actual game the graphics look less pixelated and much smoother. I have been looking around the Internet to find a filter or shader which could help me, but haven't found anything. As you can see in the image, Link is kind of blurred while the original sprite is not. Is there a way for me to create the same effect? Thanks for any help!Screenshot_2019-03-16-05-13-36_3.jpg Screenshot_2019-03-16-05-29-13_2.jpg

Relic

Start by turning off interpolation in the graphics tab of the game settings.

Edit: or what refreshertowel said- I interpreted your message one way but it is ambiguous what you mean by “actual game”

Last edited:
If you want the sprite to look like the top image you posted, turn on Interpolation. If you want it to look like the bottom image you posted, turn off interpolation.

D

dannyjenn

Turning on the interpolation might help, but it might just become a blurry mess. Because whatever interpolation GameMaker uses (I think bilinear?), it usually doesn't look all that great. And it's definitely not what you see in the picture. The picture seems to use a more sophisticated interpolation algorithm, or maybe some sort of antialiasing filter (looks almost like it could be a kind of pixel art scaling algorithm such as HQ2x).

To get it to look like that, you'll probably need to learn about shaders as well as the various scaling algorithms out there, in order to write your own shader that can produce the desired results. Or perhaps you could just search the Marketplace for filters (it's probable that somebody already made one that does something similar, though I don't know of any off the top of my head).

RangerX

Turning on the interpolation might help, but it might just become a blurry mess. Because whatever interpolation GameMaker uses (I think bilinear?), it usually doesn't look all that great. And it's definitely not what you see in the picture. The picture seems to use a more sophisticated interpolation algorithm, or maybe some sort of antialiasing filter (looks almost like it could be a kind of pixel art scaling algorithm such as HQ2x).

To get it to look like that, you'll probably need to learn about shaders as well as the various scaling algorithms out there, in order to write your own shader that can produce the desired results. Or perhaps you could just search the Marketplace for filters (it's probable that somebody already made one that does something similar, though I don't know of any off the top of my head).
The top image is from GameMaker and he doesn't want the blur. The original game does not blur not interpolate or anti-alias. He simply needs to turn off the annoying gamemaker interpolation.

S

SirDude

The top image is from GameMaker and he doesn't want the blur. The original game does not blur not interpolate or anti-alias. He simply needs to turn off the annoying gamemaker interpolation.
Sorry I may have expressed myself wrong! The first image is in the actual game and the second image is the original link sprite from the game. Currently in Gamemaker, it looks like the bottom one, but I want it to look like the top! I have already tried turning on interpolation, but just as dannyjenn said, it doesn't look that good. I'll definitely try searching the Marketplace for filters.

RangerX

Sorry I may have expressed myself wrong! The first image is in the actual game and the second image is the original link sprite from the game. Currently in Gamemaker, it looks like the bottom one, but I want it to look like the top! I have already tried turning on interpolation, but just as dannyjenn said, it doesn't look that good. I'll definitely try searching the Marketplace for filters.
oops! My bad.