• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Android SOCKET.IO FOR ANDROID AND IOS

R

Roger Canchanya Garcia

Hi, colleagues again. I need my mobile games (ios / android) to communicate in real time with my server in NODEJS. I plan to use SOCKET.IO but I can not find information about it. Do you know something about the subject? Thanks for everything

Pfap

I think socket io is more for web based games and development. I don't have a ton of experience with web development or servers, but regular sockets are probably what you would want to look into for connecting to node js for a mobile app. Depending on what type of game you are making and what amount of lag you can tolerate you could checkout patchwire.

https://github.com/twisterghost/patchwire

R

Roger Canchanya Garcia

I think socket io is more for web based games and development. I don't have a ton of experience with web development or servers, but regular sockets are probably what you would want to look into for connecting to node js for a mobile app. Depending on what type of game you are making and what amount of lag you can tolerate you could checkout patchwire.

https://github.com/twisterghost/patchwire
Thanks friend. I had a lot of hope for GMS, but I'm very much encouraged to migrate Unity. I'll review the library you mention. Thank you

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
If your server is in node.js, you can use regular TCP/UDP sockets (which node.js offers) and connect to it via network_connect_raw from GML side - there's little reason to add extra wrapping and encoding that websockets use if you are not connecting from a web browser (but even then, you can have a separate port for the native version)

The-any-Key

As long GMS2 dont support IPv6 you need some kind of extension if you plan to put the game on ios app store (apple demand IPv6).