GTA Inspired Shooter: Hostile - Haven Bay

L

LV154

Dear all,

just thought I'd share a personal project of mine that started back in 2014

Progress of project:

https://imgur.com/a/mY691i2

Plot:

A dude stuck in a small town somewhere in the Mediterranean. There's no plot, really, other than the possibility that you're stuck in some sort of purgatory.

If this project ever comes to fruition, gets some good reception and I find the right people to make an actual game, it'll probably be based on the violence based around drug trafficking in a town that acts as a gateway to Europe.

Setting:

This project was inspired by Vice City and Hotline Miami, but doesn't intend to emulate either. The town was initially called St Marina, but changed it to Haven Bay (like an (un)safe haven, and the town features a bay. Get it?)

As a one man project, you can't expect a triple A game, but I had a lot of fun making it and I'm in the process of finishing it up. I need to get a life, so it's something that will have to be released and postponed for later one. I'd very much like to create a more sophisticated and "performance friendly" game out of this, but will need the money to do it properly.

Tell me what you think, and i'd love to hear your ideas too!

Check out this video:

D

DirectShift

Hey it looks very good! I always wanted to make some kind of GTA2 game.

You need to improve the combat system though, looks rough.

L

LV154

Hey it looks very good! I always wanted to make some kind of GTA2 game.

You need to improve the combat system though, looks rough.
Thanks for the feedback. This is something I am working on at the moment, but seems to work fine when the crowd is smaller.

woodsmoke

Wow already looking amazing! Very nice detail how the car rocks around corners. And so much stuff to see.

The reason I got into gamedev/Gamemaker is because I wanted to make a GTA1 like game with a smooth framerate.
I plan to make (restart) a GTA1 inspired game but a lot more simplified (and totally flat/2D), not as complex as yours. I'll be keeping my eyes on this. So cool!

What resolution will the game have? Widescreen, 4:3 or square? Is it currrently 640x480?

Last edited:

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
It's looking really good, keep it up! I hope you get what you need to make this what you want it to be.

I really liked the environmental details. Yeah, your melee combat could use some work, but I don't really remember games like GTA: Chinatown Wars being that much better. You've got something good here.

L

LV154

What resolution will the game have? Widescreen, 4:3 or square? Is it currrently 640x480?
Thanks for the feedback! I got into gamedev too for the exact same reason! The resolution is 640x480. I've tried going higher, but some have complained of performance issues. Though it looks more crisp, it doesn't complement the retro/pixelated look I'm going for. I hope people will be able to embrace lower resolution :p

I really liked the environmental details. Yeah, your melee combat could use some work, but I don't really remember games like GTA: Chinatown Wars being that much better. You've got something good here.
I agree. Many GTA games were plagued by a poor melee and covering system, and unfortunately the collision system GM is known for doesn't help improve on that. It's fun nontheless.

I'll try and get out a playable demo as soon as possible once all fatal errors are sorted out.

L

LV154

Hello everyone. I've uploaded a playable demo.

Please let me know what you think. I'm aware of a few glitches but am mostly concerned with an occasional crash on exit out of a vehicle. I suspect this is something to do with deleting external sounds but have not yet managed to pin point the issue. In the future, I might need to simplify the radio stations if this is an issue with memory.

Anyways,

Tips:

Interact with objects by pressing "Q" (ie. dumpster diving)

Tackle enemies by running and clicking the left mouse button.

Change radio stations using the Ctrl button

https://lv154.itch.io/hostile-haven-bay-demo

Let me know what you think ;)

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Bug report:

Pressing any of the arrow keys throws this error:

for object obj_camera:
Error in code at line 5:
{if obj_Character.falling=1{if zc<obj_Character.depth{zc+=1}}else
^
at position 21: Unknown variable falling

Also, if I hit play without choosing a spawn, the game crashes.

Cool game so far, though! I'm gonna keep bug-hunting. Lol.

Edit- Might try hiding the mouse cursor, too.

Looks like you didn't define the variable "falling." Is this because it doesn't get initialised when I haven't "fallen" yet?

Last edited:
V

VagrantWhaleGames

2D gta with a vice city theme? This is pretty cool...

L

LV154

Bug report:

Pressing any of the arrow keys throws this error:

for object obj_camera:
Error in code at line 5:
{if obj_Character.falling=1{if zc<obj_Character.depth{zc+=1}}else
^
at position 21: Unknown variable falling

Also, if I hit play without choosing a spawn, the game crashes.

Cool game so far, though! I'm gonna keep bug-hunting. Lol.

Edit- Might try hiding the mouse cursor, too.

Looks like you didn't define the variable "falling." Is this because it doesn't get initialised when I haven't "fallen" yet?

Thank you so much for taking the time to report back. It's small things like this that totally go under the carpet. I'll fix it up!

Edit:Yes, the left arrow key deleted the player who held a number of variables such as "falling". It's fixed now. Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LV154

What are your future plans?
I plan on releasing the full game within the next few months. This will feature interiors, more weapons, and perhaps a system that allows you to spend your points on weapons and vehicles.

As for future projects, I'm not quite sure! Recreating an age of empires style strategy game has been on my mind since many of these games always seem to lack in something. If the reception is good for this one, I will consider building up on this project but would rather cooperate with somebody.

woodsmoke

I could go on and on about all the nice little details, the cool music, punchy sound effects (explosions could a bit louder though), but here are things I disliked which might help improve the game:

- windows mouse cursor is not hidden, showing up on top of the in game cursor
- in game cursor click point is in the center of the arrow, instead of at the tip
- main menu wiggle text object is not centered -> weird wiggle
- spawn select apartment is almost as gray as the locked spawn points, hard to see, needs more colour saturation
- shoe colour same as pants colour, feet are hard to read visually
- having no backwards walk feels weird
- collisions with invisible things or too large hit boxes of furniture while exploring the apartment living room. Needed to
restart game!
- view distance when driving is very low
- faster cars would be more fun (would need the higher view distance)
- I died in a cop car because I couldn't exit. Police siren loop was still on when I re-spawned

Last edited:

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
Found some new bugs.

Note: until collisions are fixed, I found you can get unstuck by tackling.

When I press R, the game restarts upside down.

It throws an error when I beat a cop to death, I'll post it later. It also feels to hard to get the cops to attack you, even if I kill a guy, it's like it has to be with a gun. Which are hard to find.

The flamethrower seems to have infinite ammo. Which is fun, but I'm sure that wasn't what you were going for. Lol.

L

LV154

Thanks woodsmoke & Bearman_18 for being helpful and keeping it real. I'm working on these issues now.
I can only apologize for the sloppiness in certain areas - this is what happens when you start working on multiple things and leave things unfinished.

As for the view distance, this is something that was made with performance in mind. I'll play around with this and see how it works but wouldn't want too many instances active at once.
I really thank you both for pointing these issues out as they're clearly a sign of a broken game. I'll fix it up and release a refined version.

Bearman_18, would you mind describing what you were doing when you got the error? I beat a cop to death and didn't get anything. I'll tone down their tolerance to your carnage too.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
ERROR in
action number 2
of Step Event
for object policeman_obj:
In script pedfight_scr:
Error in code at line 19:
if armed=0{
^
at position 5: Unknown variable armed

Here's one of the errors I got. If I get a different one, I'll tell you. Happy to help, man!

L

LV154

Hey everyone,

I've fixed quite a few things and took your feedback into consideration too. Now everyone has shoes!
I'll release the up to date version soon and hope you'll find it a lot of fun - you'll notice a few changes.

Meanwhile, I've found some very old screenshots from this project as well as some very old ancient stuff that me and a friend worked on - about ten years old. It just shows our strong fascination with creating an open world game we all knew and loved in the early GTA series.

11880200_739657022827775_1189316954_n.jpg 11872854_739657029494441_956426446_n.jpg

An old project back in 2008 - We argued over the direction it was taking, but it would've turned out to be worth something:

16237937_1147139052079568_1553927029_n.jpg

16244486_1147139082079565_1979239295_n.jpg

L

LV154

Here's the link to the newest version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sixffpyv1bxjfq1/HB_gametesters.zip?dl=0

A number of issues have been fixed including, but not limited to:

collisions
sounds
shoes (or the lack of them)
infinite ammo

Known issues include:

The HUD not completely fading (still searching for the trigger)
Occasional game crash
Tiles showing up that shouldn't
Some art that can be improved

Added features:

Interiors
Ammo and health
More dynamic responses to explosions
Chainsaw, spear gun, bolt action rifle and more

The higher your score, the more interiors you unlock.

I'd appreciate honest feedback and I'd do my best to fix these up as fast as I can!