HTML5 Contained monsters v0.3 - unleash the kaiju within you!

upload_2019-1-23_22-52-16.png
The prototype can be played here: https://adriendittrick.itch.io/contained-monsters-wip

What is this about?

This game is about a bunch of kids who have acquired a weird supernatural ability: they can summon giant monsters. This ability also comes with an itch, an urge which compels them to have giant monster duels. Will they manage to remain a part of society without destroying it? In its current state, the playable prototype is more of a tech build, which shows the use of various palette swappers. The monsters will only stare at each other, and won't actually move. However stay tuned for further improvements!

Controls:
  • WASD / arrow keys: move / select option in menu (the menu does nothing)
  • Space bar / left click: jump
  • Enter:toggle zoom
  • Numpad 0: toggle filters
Credits:

Last edited:
I love the classic gameboy aesthetic! I'm not sure how the game is meant to be played though!
For now you only use the arrow keys (or WASD), a jump button (space or X or shift), and the "start" button (Enter). I also plan on adding functionality for the "B" button (C or CTRL) and the "select" button (backspace)
This game is meant to mix platofrmer bullet hell and turn by turn battle.

In the video shown above, you will see that the monsters have a tendency to clip through the terrain. In the final product, they will actually break all blocks they move through, and damage any characters on the way.
The kaijus have moves which cause massive damage and/or give them huge buffs, the player characters have much lesser influences but can act in real time instead of turn by turn so they can flip the tide of the battle.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Tried the prototype, that was pretty cool. I found that if you keep advancing the dialog in the web demo, it locks up in a loop of errors:
upload_2019-4-12_12-49-16.png
Also, not sure if choice of font is intentional, but somewhat challenging to read when letters have inconsistent heights. I'd suggest to look at existing fonts for reference (I did some as well, although not in this specific size I think - closest is 5w3.block)

Tried the prototype, that was pretty cool. I found that if you keep advancing the dialog in the web demo, it locks up in a loop of errors:
View attachment 24200
Also, not sure if choice of font is intentional, but somewhat challenging to read when letters have inconsistent heights. I'd suggest to look at existing fonts for reference (I did some as well, although not in this specific size I think - closest is 5w3.block)
Thx for the feedback, I found how to correct this error. Ill check your font refrences :)

Here is the changelog for v0.3:
  • Added 4 new levels with their own custom palettes
  • Added a level selection screen
  • Added 2 kaijus
  • Improved destructible terrain features
  • Fixed a bug where you would get stuck in the ground after falling from inside a building
  • Added lazer cannons for human vs kaiju gameplay
  • Added 2 important characters
  • Added NPCs
And here is a gameplay video:

WarpDogsVG

Damn man, I am insanely impressed with what you have so far. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before. Even though it's clearly a WIP prototype I got chills when the camera zoomed back and these two kaijus stared each other down

Keep working on this