• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Making a Room out of an PNG image.

I need some help on how to make a room out of a PNG Image.
What I want to do is import a PNG Image onto GameMaker Studio 2 and make it into a fully functional room where you can add sprites, objects, instances, animations, events etc.
Is there a way you can drag and drop a PNG image into GameMaker and use it as a room or is there a certain process to it...or can you do it at all?

I really need help and any response is highly appreciated.

Toque

You could add png to your sprites.
The create an object and asssign it the sprite and drag it in the room.

I’m not sure I understand the question

L

Lonewolff

You could add png to your sprites.
The create an object and asssign it the sprite and drag it in the room.

I’m not sure I understand the question
That's another option. More overhead, but still works.

D

dannyjenn

Does GameMaker still have 'backgrounds'? I'm under the impression that GMS2 only has sprites and tilesets, not backgrounds.

Anyway, is your PNG just an ordinary picture, or is it something you've composed from tiles? If the latter, you could find (or make) some tool to convert the PNG into a tile map and its corresponding tileset. (In fact, I think somebody posted such a tool on this very forum just a few days ago.)

T

Taddio

Does GameMaker still have 'backgrounds'? I'm under the impression that GMS2 only has sprites and tilesets, not backgrounds.
They are there. Each room has by default an instance layer and a background layer, and you can add tile layers, path layer and asset layers as well.
Pretty much all my stuff is .png, and you just add a new sprote, select it as background image in room editor, and you're done.

D

Deleted member 13992

Can you provice an example of such an image/PNG? How organic is it? How "grid-like" is it?

You will probably have to develop invisible collisions and place them manually, depending on what kind of game it is. There's no way GMS (or any software) can know what's solid and what's "air" just from a static image. You have to tell it.

Importing an image and pasting it onto the background of a room is the easy part. Making your game code "understand" the background takes a lot more work, and generally isn't automatic. You have to do that part yourself.

Unless your background is non-interactive of course.

you could find (or make) some tool to convert the PNG into a tile map and its corresponding tileset
PyxelEdit will do this. Not free, but cheap for what it can do, very nice software!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Taddio

You will probably have to develop invisible collisions and place them manually, depending on what kind of game it is. There's no way GMS (or any software) can know what's solid and what's "air" just from a static image. You have to tell it.
The easy way is to have actual instances, but set to invisible, and manually place them in the room. There is also tiles-collisions that can be done rather easily.