Feral Umbra

Surgeon_

Symbian Curator
It had demons, spikes, and burning skies in it. I like it :)
Also, pass my commendation to the person who drew the graphics - the game looks amazing.

G

Galladhan

Feedback regarding it's similarity to beast is not needed since we do know, and we are slowly diverging (since to begin with it was in fact a beast remake).
Hope you don't mind if i point out the opposite: the art style (maybe aside the "gradient sky", but that's more a tribute to the Amiga palette) looks pretty different from Shadow of the Beast's one and way more imaginative. Same for the atmosphere, which appears darker and more twisted. You're already diverging a lot from a remake, if you ask me, and now i'm very curious to play the demo. Kudos! :)

The artwork is masterful and I really enjoy how you set the mood for it. It looks like the first level is some kind of graveyard or a charnel location... probably reeks of death or something sinister. I definitely wish to see more!

J

jackhigh24

that looks really nice, hate to mention this as its looking so good but shouldn't that animation of him running be chest face us as the left leg is forward, it does make it look very weird running the opposite side like it is now, i know its just a game and no need to have things work like they would in real life, but still its back to front and does look funny, unless that';s what your aiming for was some comedy mixed in there.

DesArts

that looks really nice, hate to mention this as its looking so good but shouldn't that animation of him running be chest face us as the left leg is forward, it does make it look very weird running the opposite side like it is now, i know its just a game and no need to have things work like they would in real life, but still its back to front and does look funny, unless that';s what your aiming for was some comedy mixed in there.
You typically don't run with left arm+left leg back at the same time, so the chest would be following the arms more than the legs.

J

jackhigh24

arr yes your right, i just looked at those old running science photo's, why does it look funny in that anim of yours, is it to much of an upper body turn to face us or maybe not enough of a turn away when opposite position, or combo of both, still loving the games looks, i like it a lot and cant wait to see the demo or a good video of how its coming along now since that old vid.

J

Jeff the Gamer

Have any new information to share about this game? It's been a little while since we heard anything and I'm anxious to play the demo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful. I know you're paying homage to an old Amiga (or whatever, I forget) game, but there's a reason those franchises don't exist anymore.....from moment to moment, a lot of them were unsatisfying and boring. Compare Mario 3's movement to yours. Mario 3 has like four frames for its run animation, and isn't nearly as dramatic looking as yours, but the game is incredibly fun just to run around in. Yours, by comparison, looks like your guy is running around underwater. Looks very unsatisfying and tedious to control. On top of that, it looks like you might be committing one of the biggest sins old (bad) games used to make - huge "dramatic" levels that only serve to confuse and/or bore the player into submission. Nobody likes to run down a hallway for thirty seconds, only to have to turn around and run all the way back.

Good games are fun to play, even when you're not doing anything. Make sure your character is a blast just to move around with. Make sure your core gameplay loop is actually fun, instead of just "interesting," like a lot of those old games Amiga games tried to be.

Excuse the harsh review. My thoughts, based just on the gifs and videos you've shown us. Good luck.

DesArts

Nice feedback!
Pretty much everything you see level theme/layout-wise is thowaway material. Also, anything (including graphics) is up for change right now. I'm working on completely separating this from SOTB in both theme and gameplay.

If you could explain what you mean by "a blast just to move around with" would entail it would help a lot!

If you could explain what you mean by "a blast just to move around with" would entail it would help a lot!
I could tell you, but that would rob you of a valuable learning experience, young grasshopper. Have you ever played Mario 3? Or any of the others?

I'm glad the other stuff is all just wip. That said, it's hard to give you any further advice based only on what I've seen. I don't know where you'll go next with the game, afterall. I think you'll find that your character's long animations and tall sprite are going to make it a little tougher to get a satisfying gameplay loop into your game, though. Just my intuition...

Do you have a firm idea of what your game is going to be like to play? If not, you should stop drawing and think hard about it. Your graphics tie heavily into your gameplay.

DesArts

I know they are fun to play, I wanted to know why you found them fun.;)
Yes, the game does have a clear goal/idea which I will fully realise once I get to that point. It's mostly programming at this point laying down some firmer groundwork.

Mario is fun because Mario has perfect:
Physics
Controls
Level design
Enemy design
Powerups
Art
Sound
Music

That said, describing what makes Mario fun and actually doing the subject justice would take pages of writing. Everything in a game works together to create a good (or bad) end experience.

Last edited:

DesArts

Yeah I see what you mean. I wont be giving this guy a red hat any time soon tho ;) If you find the videos of the very first builds of this, you'll see it's come a long, long way. And It's still developing. It'll reach balance soon.

Anyway:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old video
A more recent build showing off other animations and different sound choices.

That'll be it in terms of updates for a while. Next updates will be first drafts of enemies and level design.

Just compare!

Last edited:
This just gets better and better, those animations really sell the movement. As much as I love Mario, sometimes I want a slower, more deliberate platformer to just explore the world.

M

Misty

Mario is fun because Mario has perfect:
Physics
Controls
Level design
Enemy design
Powerups
Art
Sound
Music

That said, describing what makes Mario fun and actually doing the subject justice would take pages of writing. Everything in a game works together to create a good (or bad) end experience.
Mario isn't actually fun. It's just nostalgia. I was in a bad mood when I wrote this. I have since changed my mind. I played New Super Mario Bros which soured the taste in my mouth. But I have since went back to the true classic mario, which is fun up until the harder worlds. I also like the new 3d marios too, although I do find Super Mario Galaxy to be boring.

This just gets better and better, those animations really sell the movement. As much as I love Mario, sometimes I want a slower, more deliberate platformer to just explore the world.
Mario is very slow and deliberate actually. (Still havent changed my mind about this part.)

Last edited:
Mario isn't actually fun. It's just nostalgia.
lol.

Yeah I see what you mean. I wont be giving this guy a red hat any time soon tho ;) If you find the videos of the very first builds of this, you'll see it's come a long, long way. And It's still developing. It'll reach balance soon.

Anyway:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A more recent build showing off other animations and different sound choices.

That'll be it in terms of updates for a while. Next updates will be first drafts of enemies and level design.

Just compare!
There's no argument that this isn't improving! Looking forward to seeing where you bring this. :)

kupo15

Its looking good so far, agree with hopeless that right now its looking pretty barren. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that there is a lot of unmade and unfleshed out material that is left to be added to bring it to life. You can make a game with drawn out animations like yours good and fun if you design the game around it

Some crits are the jump animation looks kinda off and not satisfying. Also I would recommend you make your collision system larger than just a thin line in the middle of the character otherwise you will have more platforming frustrations via missed landings like I saw in your video. The player will feel cheated if you keep the detection so thin

Art looks much improved for sure!

DesArts

Its looking good so far, agree with hopeless that right now its looking pretty barren. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that there is a lot of unmade and unfleshed out material that is left to be added to bring it to life. You can make a game with drawn out animations like yours good and fun if you design the game around it
Well I'm sure giving it a go!

Some crits are the jump animation looks kinda off and not satisfying.
That's an interesting one - I definitely agree. I have a feeling it's because it's quick and not fleshed out over the entire action like the others (it's not complete). If you think it's a different reason let me know.

Also I would recommend you make your collision system larger than just a thin line in the middle of the character otherwise you will have more platforming frustrations via missed landings like I saw in your video. The player will feel cheated if you keep the detection so thin
100% correct, this is going to happen. I've planned to do this however the reason he's a line in the first place is the slopes. It'll be figured out no worries.
Back when I wasn't even using my own collision system. 10/10

Last edited:
Well I'm sure giving it a go!

That's an interesting one - I definitely agree. I have a feeling it's because it's quick and not fleshed out over the entire action like the others (it's not complete). If you think it's a different reason let me know.

100% correct, this is going to happen. I've planned to do this however the reason he's a line in the first place is the slopes. It'll be figured out no worries.
Back when I wasn't even using my own collision system. 10/10
Is there any reason you can't just give platforms bigger collision boxes?

Just because that would make things inconsistent. If I apply a change to one thing I would be best off making it something I can apply to everything. I prefer global solutions than little 'hacks' here and there.
....How would it make things inconsistent, if you consistently made them bigger? Well, I don't know how you're building your collision boxes, though. Just a suggestion. =)

You might also be able to use the line to give you your character's height on the slope, and use a normal bounding box to check whether or not he's falling?

If neither of those work, then I dunno, heheh. =D

J

Jeff the Gamer

Just a matter of opinion, but I think the bracelets on the protagonist's body should be removed because they look kinda weird on him and replaced with glowing tribal tattoos like they did in the SOTB remake. Aarbron didn't look as awesome as he did in the Amiga original but the tattoos were cool. They would add to the surreal nature of the game. I hope Feral Umbra will be a metroidvania, I was disappointed that the SOTB remake was not one, being short didn't help either.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesArts

There's a reason he has those (they are basically weapons), and I think once the world comes to life and you get to see it, bright little details like that won't look so out of place. Of course, his sprite is still being worked on so they might change in appearance for sure. He wont have tattoos. While this game will certainly be surreal, it will be specifically story based. I hope to show some of the story, and moreso game play, later this year.

As for a metroidvania... I don't think this would fall under that category perfectly, and I wont be deliberately aiming for it although there may be some similarities.
Generally, it'll be maze like in some places, it'll have separate areas mixed with large open worlds (with many differently dressed places within). There will be puzzles, collecting items to open ways, many demons, and more.

This isn't a Beast fan-game (slowly, give it some time) so expect increasing deviations from that game, while keeping the mood.

Last edited:
You...might want to learn your game genres. A game designer saying "I don't know what a metroidvania is" is a little like a musician saying "who's Beethoven?"

Not being a snob...just saying that playing these games will let you avoid a lot of pitfalls you'll probably fall into otherwise.

DesArts

It's a subgenre. I misspoke by the way - I know what Metroidvania means, I know both games separately too, I just meant I was unsure if this could be classed as one since the game will feature separate areas etc, and I'm not going to be making any deliberate effort to make it moreso. It will definitely include some elements of one in certain levels, as I sort of described.

So quick to worry ;)
Nahh in all honestly I have a solid goal for this project, in terms of gameplay and story/etc it's all set, I'm not pondering. Graphics/visual design is the thing on the line right now.

Last edited:

GMWolf

aka fel666
I feel lime this is still too early to show off.
As a pixel art demo, its beautiful.
And we do get some sense of the feel you are trying to convey.

But gameplay wise, its hard to imaging the pace of the combat (which I assume there will be), the nature of the puzzles, etc.

But I wanted to give you advice on puzzle making anyways: avoid the generic puzzles like in the witness.
By that I mean stand alone puzzles that could be placed in any location, in any world.
Instead, I would love to see Myst style puzzles. Puzzles that belong to the environment. Puzzles that make the game world seem alive. You are not just interfacing with a machine designed to be a puzzle (that makes no sense). You are interacting with the world itself!

Anyhow, the aesthetics of the game are great! Can't wait to see where it will go :) keep up the great work!

Last edited:
So quick to worry ;)
When a game designer says "I don't know what a metroidvania is," that's a pretty good reason to worry. :p
I'm glad you actually do know what they are, though. Next step: Have you played games in those series? X'D

If not, then my original advice still stands: "go play them!" If so, then great. =)

J

Jeff the Gamer

There's a reason he has those (they are basically weapons), and I think once the world comes to life and you get to see it, bright little details like that won't look so out of place. Of course, his sprite is still being worked on so they might change in appearance for sure. He wont have tattoos. While this game will certainly be surreal, it will be specifically story based. I hope to show some of the story, and moreso game play, later this year.

As for a metroidvania... I don't think this would fall under that category perfectly, and I wont be deliberately aiming for it although there may be some similarities.
Generally, it'll be maze like in some places, it'll have separate areas mixed with large open worlds (with many differently dressed places within). There will be puzzles, collecting items to open ways, many demons, and more.

This isn't a Beast fan-game (slowly, give it some time) so expect increasing deviations from that game, while keeping the mood.
I still hope it will be longer than Shadow of the Beast.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Looking very good!!
However, because they are the only amimated scenery elements, they seem out of place, in relation with the terrain.
Perhaps introducing swaying grass and trees would help it feel at home :)

Regarless, im loving the style! Very nice yetro yet modern look!

[edit] oh, the grass is swaying! I dint even notice, realy subtle effect! perhaps thats it, the effects may be a litle over exagerated to my taste.

Z

zendraw

i find it hard to belive that you will make this nice looking graphics fun to play with, why are you working on the candy part so early?

DesArts

i find it hard to belive that you will make this nice looking graphics fun to play with, why are you working on the candy part so early?
Oh I didn't know good graphics and good gameplay were mutually exclusive, interesting ;)

It's not as early as you think! It's just much easier to show off and get feedback for graphical elements than the gameplay/story elements, I'll be showing some of that off in the near future.
Plus I'd feel weird showing full gameplay with incomplete graphics... at least this way when you see the actual gameplay, what you see will be what you get.

Oh I didn't know good graphics and good gameplay were mutually exclusive, interesting ;)
They're not exclusive, but they're definitely linked, as I've said a few times in this thread. :p
That said, you're actually raising my faith with these latest gifs. The bridge looks satisfying just to run across, and the branches look cool, too. Good looks. =)

JacobV

It all looks amazing, but I gotta agree that you might be focusing on the graphics too early while you should be getting basic things, like combat and enemy AI and menus, out of the way first. You've built a super fancy mansion, but you neglected to make the foundation; which could potentially come back to hurt you in the future.

kupo15

Looks really neat, love that bridge for sure! I would agree with Rich(poor) composer above. Sure it may be eye candy but to me that feels like a mechanic piece as well to help build the world and improve immersion

Nice work!

DesArts

I see the same sentiment stretched over most, allow me to explain what I've just shown :)
This isn't the latest build, this isn't what I've worked on the latest. Gameplay has been in progress for a long time now, but I'm not showing it just yet. As well as this, I'll be asking for all artistic feedback before I show off any gameplay. I had already explained this above.
I was looking for feedback of the effects, not whether the effects should be there yet or not.

I invite discussion about these effects and these types of effects in general because there are a lot of them to help immerse you.
However due to peoples worries (which I do understand) I wont show any even small updates now till it's time for the gameplay to shine and take centre stage.