• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Why such lag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Misty

Why does gm 1.4 studio's room editor suck so bad?

Half the time the sprites don't even display right when you try to rotate or scale them.
And why does it run at 0.1 fps when its a room with only a couple hundred objects and tiles.

I want to know what about the code is so bad that I can run nexgen games running thousands of 3d objects with minimal lag, yet cant run a static room editor.

Also please no more PC blaming... when a software sucks people are first to blame the pc...nothing is wrong with my pc I haven't even ran into a game I can't play yet, and my load times are within always 1 second of the fastest pcs.

I haven't seen this problem. But, there are plenty of deficiencies with 1.4's room editor for sure. There are some 3rd party tools I have seen for room editing that look promising, but I haven't tried any yet.

L

Lonewolff

With the spread of cheap and nasty, through to decent hardware these days, a 2014 laptop isn't saying much unfortunately.

We will have to wait until Misty tells us they are running some integrated GFX chipset before we can say 'told ya so' :p

Must be a good laptop to run all the modern games perfectly though. I still can't run Crysis on a GTX-1060 at absolute highest settings without some kind of stutter. :D

Although, I have never experienced lag in GMS 1 though. Misty might need to underclock his four year old laptop. Obviously too fast for GMS to handle.

M

Misty

Not sure of the spec, but when Misty was complaining about having a similar lag problem with GMS2 last year they mentioned it being 4yrs old which means it's from around 2014.
Not sure if that's a 2014 laptop or a desktop, maybe Misty can clarify?

I would definitely suspect an underpowered machine, although the GMS1 IDE is also garbage.
No that was my old computer. New one is better. And yes the GMS1 ide is garbage lol.

Joe Ellis

The room editor I imagine isn't gpu accelerated at all, as it's just running in a normal windows gui, they've probably implemented all the functions in the standard gui library they used for the rest of the program, and it needs something more powerful,
I guess that's one of the good things about gms2
-Edit sorry, I heard gms2 has even more lag
I haven't had lag with either though, I recommend getting a gaming computer, I've bought my last 2 from dino pc for £400\$500, I never have lag with anything really, although I don't play next gen games

M

Misty

"Better" isn't much use, what are the specs?
Specs are i dont like making it public, however i will say it is a fast gaming pc and never loads more than a second less than the top pc's in the lobby. Might do a benchmark later and post.

The room editor I imagine isn't gpu accelerated at all, as it's just running in a normal windows gui, they've probably implemented all the functions in the standard gui library they used for the rest of the program, and it needs something more powerful,
I guess that's one of the good things about gms2
-Edit sorry, I heard gms2 has even more lag
I haven't had lag with either though, I recommend getting a gaming computer, I've bought my last 2 from dino pc for £400\$500, I never have lag with anything really, although I don't play next gen games
hmm is there a benchmark utility I can use? That shows the slowness of non gpu acceleration?

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
1.4's editor is indeed not hardware accelerated (and cannot be, for it's unfortunate specifics), which means that it'll suffer proportionally to the area (width*height) of the window.
If you absolutely can't move to GMS2, your best bets are Tiled importers (there are a few) or Inkbridge.

Joe Ellis

Specs are i dont like making it public, however i will say it is a fast gaming pc and never loads more than a second less than the top pc's in the lobby. Might do a benchmark later and post.

hmm is there a benchmark utility I can use? That shows the slowness of non gpu acceleration?
I don't know sorry, but I know that drawing graphics\bitmap images will be alot slower, guis\ides usually work with text and simple lines & fills, so when 200 bitmaps are needed to be drawed its really slow all done with the cpu
What @YellowAfterlife said is probably your best bet, I mean, we can't make yoyo improve it now its discontinued, it would be good if they released it as open source, then someone definitely would make a version with a gpu accelerated room editor :rolleyes:

Also, what you said about using the original windows ide I completely agree with, I don't understand why companies make their own inferior gui, I always just wish it looks like standard windows program,
I've done that with mine, plus it's gpu accelerated, specifically it's gamemaker accelerated :D
That also confirms your point on why ide's are slower than games, they're not running in a system that's a game engine, they're running in an ide engine, which is not built for the amount of stuff most level editors demand, thats why editors that run inside the game engine are always the best

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Specs are i dont like making it public, however i will say it is a fast gaming pc and never loads more than a second less than the top pc's in the lobby
If it was a fast gaming PC you wouldn't be getting any lag in GMS1 or GMS2.
Lobbies loading can be dependant on ping and connection speed and not the installed ram / cpu / gpu of the machine, so that's a silly metric to use.

If you won't give your specs then moaning about performance is pointless as nobody can offer any suggestions as to what the issue might be.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Topic tidied. Guys (you know who you are) please stop with the bickering. ONE of you is being WAY TOO SENSITIVE and should just chill a bit. What was requested was absolutely standard practice in tech support and certainly not worth starting a fight over.

@Misty: I find it odd that you don't want to make the specs of the PC public. I've yet to meet anyone with a medium to high-end rig that doesn't want everyone to know the specs of their machine!!!! Really, the base specs are the primary source of lag with most software, with anti-virus and backup software coming a second place. Have you tried clean booting the machine and then running GM? If it is lag-free then you can try enabling components one or two at a time and see if any of them are affecting the IDE.

L

Lonewolff

If you refuse to tell us what your specs are, for whatever reason that’s fine.

In that case all I can suggest is to wipe the hard disk, reinstall Windows, and reinstall GameMaker.

If that doesn’t work the problem is undoubtably PC specs.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
it would be good if they released it as open source, then someone definitely would make a version with a gpu accelerated room editor :rolleyes:
It is naively optimistic to think that if something was made open-source, some would definitely come around and fix all the problems that you are having, for free.

For example, GMEdit is free, and open-source, and anyone competent could stop by and implement a room editor, but does anyone? Of course not - that's work. Competent developers usually have more important things to do, so there would have to be some sort of justification to put the hours in. And this doesn't even require knowing an obscure field such as legacy versions of Delphi (which is what GMS1 IDE used)

Cpaz

It is naively optimistic to think that if something was made open-source, some would definitely come around and fix all the problems that you are having, for free.

For example, GMEdit is free, and open-source, and anyone competent could stop by and implement a room editor, but does anyone? Of course not - that's work. Competent developers usually have more important things to do, so there would have to be some sort of justification to put the hours in. And this doesn't even require knowing an obscure field such as legacy versions of Delphi (which is what GMS1 IDE used)
I mean, It helps that the current room editor for GMS2 (aside form occasional lag) it pretty awesome as is.

But I can contest that the GMS1 editors are pretty slow, even with my mid-angelfish machine (Ryzen 2600, 1060 user) the room editor in particular has always been a headache. I'd personally recommend just biting the bullet and porting over to GMS2, I promise its MILES better in many respects. Yeah, definitely an adjustment to be sure, but worth it IMO.

M

Misty

1.4's editor is indeed not hardware accelerated (and cannot be, for it's unfortunate specifics), which means that it'll suffer proportionally to the area (width*height) of the window.
If you absolutely can't move to GMS2, your best bets are Tiled importers (there are a few) or Inkbridge.
The main thing I hate about gm2 is the sprite editor. I don't know how to use the gm2 room editor either but I think I could learn. But the sprite editor I tried to learn and still can't. The other thing I hate of gm2 is the code editor won't let me click and drag text. The other thing I hate is that object's don't seem to have windows anymore and I can't figure out how to overlap objects on top of each other. Windows=good=made bill gates a billionaire. Rule of thumb is windows=good. The other thing I hate is no way to auto-sort resources alphabetically or by creation date.

If you refuse to tell us what your specs are, for whatever reason that’s fine.

In that case all I can suggest is to wipe the hard disk, reinstall Windows, and reinstall GameMaker.

If that doesn’t work the problem is undoubtably PC specs.
That seems a bit extreme as everything else runs fine, even gm2, just not gm1.4 room editor.

If it was a fast gaming PC you wouldn't be getting any lag in GMS1 or GMS2.
Lobbies loading can be dependant on ping and connection speed and not the installed ram / cpu / gpu of the machine, so that's a silly metric to use.

If you won't give your specs then moaning about performance is pointless as nobody can offer any suggestions as to what the issue might be.
I don't get lag in gm2, only gm1.4 room editor.

Lobby loading is silly however I have never been less than one second slower than the leader to load, overall the margin of error decreases after many dozens of games.

Did a benchmark and this is what it says:

Says my CPU is better than some i7s but only half as fast as a 12 core Xeon. Meaning if you have a 12 core Xeon you will get a whopping 0.2 fps in the room editor instead of 0.1.

Keep in mind I did the bench mark using Cinebench (had a cool car chase scene but with no sounds) and I had BlasterBall2: Revolution, Chrome, and some background apps running in the background.

My CPU is rated 641 cb whatever that means. My GPU is rated #1 of its class and got 75 fps.

L

Lonewolff

Says my CPU is better than some i7s but only half as fast as a 12 core Xeon. Meaning if you have a 12 core Xeon you will get a whopping 0.2 fps in the room editor instead of 0.1.

My GPU is rated #1 of its class and got 75 fps.
Cool we have now narrowed it down to at least be a 2008 i7 with a Riva TNT2-32MB GPU.

Xeon's are very slow for mainstream use. They are designed to crunch numbers. I threw out a 24 core Xeon (2 CPU system) a year ago. It was slow and noisy.

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

Cool we have now narrowed it down to at least be a 2008 i7 with a Riva TNT2-32MB GPU.
It's like playing Guess Who but with computer components instead of faces! :D

Misty I think if it was an inherent issue with the IDE that caused it to run at "0.1 fps" then there would be / would have been many other posts from people complaining about it.

Granted, the IDE isn't the fastest and does suffer slowdown (especially when adding loads of objects into the room editor) - but if it's really slowing down that much and isn't an exaggeration then the only things it could be is your hardware, the drivers for that hardware or some other software like antivirus etc causing massive slowdown like Nocturne mentioned.

The more concise information you give, the easier it will be for people to suggest how to get it running faster.

Out of interest, you said that GMS2 runs fine - are you still using the MESA driver as mentioned in the other thread?

Last edited:
M

Misty

Xeon's are very slow for mainstream use. They are designed to crunch numbers. I threw out a 24 core Xeon (2 CPU system) a year ago. It was slow and noisy.
It's definitely newer than 2008. I don't have a Xeon but google says Xeons are the fastest workstations.

It's like playing Guess Who but with computer components instead of faces! :D

Misty I think if it was an inherent issue with the IDE that caused it to run at "0.1 fps" then there would be / would have been many other posts from people complaining about it.
There are.

Also it only happens in rooms with a medium amount of tiles and objects. Small rooms without much details they probably won't get lag.

Granted, the IDE isn't the fastest and does suffer slowdown (especially when adding loads of objects into the room editor) - but if it's really slowing down that much and isn't an exaggeration then the only things it could be is your hardware, the drivers for that hardware or some other software like antivirus etc causing massive slowdown like Nocturne mentioned.

The more concise information you give, the easier it will be for people to suggest how to get it running faster.

Out of interest, you said that GMS2 runs fine - are you still using the MESA driver as mentioned in the other thread?
I just use the default GMS2 settings and it runs fine. All my other programs run fine the only one that doesn't is GM1.4's room editor.

There has been Xeon processors for a long time. Just saying Xeon doesn't mean much. They were introduced in 1998 and have been a product line since that time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeon

Honestly, if OP isn't willing to share their system details, I don't think there is really much to go off of. But, I will share my experiences. Perhaps it will give a point of reference...

I use GMS 1.4 on two different PCs.
My ancient laptop with an Intel Pentium SU4100, 4 gig ram and Intel GMA 4500MHD. This one runs everything in IDE perfectly fine, the room editor is just fine (rooms usually have maybe 200-300 objects and tiles). The areas it struggles is slow compile times and games can run slow if I don't carefully optimize things. This PC also struggles with 3D in GMS if it is too complex, but I am not doing any of that. This is a potato, plain and simple - yet the IDE and room editor are fine.

2. My more modern desktop with an AMD FX-6300 (I think... might be 6400?), 16 gig ram and an AMD Radeon RX 480 with 8 gig video memory. This one runs everything perfectly fine, fast compiles and haven't seen any slowdown in games when I play them, ever.

M

Misty

I don't understand all this dancing around, why do you have an issue with giving your machine specs so people can actually try and help you?

Genuine question.
You know, privacy and all that. But I thought we reached the conclusion that this problem can't be fixed and the only solution was using a different room editor.

L

Lonewolff

I don't understand all this dancing around, why do you have an issue with giving your machine specs so people can actually try and help you?

Genuine question.
Stolen laptop is the only conclusion I can possibly come to. But we aren't asking for serial numbers.

You know, privacy and all that. But I thought we reached the conclusion that this problem can't be fixed and the only solution was using a different room editor.
How did 'we' come to that conclusion?

rIKmAN

Privacy? In what way?
We're asking for the what CPU, GPU and how much RAM you have (or what laptop model), not your name, address and phone number.

Giving your machine specs is the first question you would be asked when trying to get help with any computer issues that involve something running slowly.

If you aren't willing to give them then you are restricting yourself to getting random suggestions and guesswork (if people can be bothered to play that game) or just having to deal with it.

IMO the conclusion is we can't reach a conclusion because of your unwillingness to help anyone bothering to try and help you by giving any information other than "it's slow and other things run fast".

M

Misty

Stolen laptop is the only conclusion I can possibly come to. But we aren't asking for serial numbers.

How did 'we' come to that conclusion?
I hate thieves. Think I'm just gonna ask mods to close this thread because I refuse to be bullied by you any longer. And no I'm not giving you specs for you to spy on me with.

rIKmAN

I hate thieves. Think I'm just gonna ask mods to close this thread because I refuse to be bullied by you any longer. And no I'm not giving you specs for you to spy on me with.
I'm sure it will be closed soon - I've just reported you myself.

The way you play the victim and accuse people of bullying whenever they disagree with you is ridiculous, and shouldn't be allowed on the forum.

M

Misty

I'm sure it will be closed soon - I've just reported you myself.

The way you play the victim and accuse people of bullying whenever they disagree with you is ridiculous, and shouldn't be allowed the forum.
He accused me of stealing which is slander.

Go ahead and report me. I've done nothing wrong. He's been following me around and bullying me all day.

Also, I thought you and me were having a moment of peace. But you can forget about that.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Topic closed. I don't think I need to explain why. Some people bring things on themselves.

PS: @Misty - I'm getting a bit fed up with you calling "Bully!" whenever someone dares to criticise you or call you out for you're ridiculous behaviour. Asking for your PC specs IS NOT BULLYING and is the most normal thing in the world for a support forum. I cannot think of ANY reason why you wouldn't give them and can only conclude it's simply to be awkward and cause situations exactly like this, where you can then play the victim. Could you please grow up a bit? Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.