• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Hello, New user asking for advise

H

hordolur

Hello everyone, I am new to this software and looking to try it,
I am wondering if there are step by step tutorials for a beginner, like Hello World
Any help and advise would be helpful thank you

L

Luto

you can type "my first gm game" in youtube, and search for playlists. or search for "introduction to the interface of game maker". and reading the manual is mandatory if you want to do great things on your own.

rIKmAN

If you are using GMS2 then there are tutorials on the main page you can load up and follow along with using either DnD or GML - look for the Space Rocks example.

As Luto said there are also many tutorials on YT and which can be found via Google which go through creating a "your first game" type project.

Mert

Try this series. Although everything is well detailed, in any case If you have any questions during the video, press F1 button on Game Maker Studio 2 IDE to open the manual and search for the term.
(For example : what is a room ? Search within the documentation)

You can also access to the documentation on browser here : https://docs2.yoyogames.com/

Toque

I second space rocks tutorial.

It moves along pretty quick. You will have to pause and watch a few times. Lowering YouTube play speed helps too.

D

Danei

As a piece of general advice in case you don't know, within gamemaker itself you can middle-click on functions and built-in variables inside your code to be taken to the manual's entry on that thing. That's something I didn't figure out for months and is really helpful for learning.

samspade

Hello everyone, I am new to this software and looking to try it,
I am wondering if there are step by step tutorials for a beginner, like Hello World
Any help and advise would be helpful thank you
In addition to the tutorials already mentioned, see the last link in my signature block (or at the end of this post) and see the Resource Section under: List of (and links to) a number of YouTuber’s with complete, or fairly complete, series designed for complete beginners. I strongly recommend Friendly Cosmonaut, Shaun Spalding, and Gloomy Toad for longer series.

The resource section in general contains a lot of different things I found very helpful in my first year of coding (many of which I still find very useful today).

Helpful Tips for Learning to Program in Game Maker

H

hordolur

Thanks all, I have finally got time to dig into this now and try it out; I got the GameMaker Studio 2 Trial and that comes with a permanent license, and I understand I can't do everything with it, but anything I try to do, I get a msg that says I can not access I need a GameMaker Studio License to use?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Just confirm that message and log into your YoYo account when prompted. If you don't already have an account, create one.

H

hordolur

I have an account and am logged in, it ask me to when I open the software

H

hordolur

I created an account and downloaded the trial to see if I wanna purchase a license.

rIKmAN

I created an account and downloaded the trial to see if I wanna purchase a license.
OK so you don't have a licence and are using the Trial Version - your wording was a little confusing.

Using the GMS2 Trial means that you are bound by the restrictions that the Trial Version comes with, all of which can be found on this page: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/230407528-GameMaker-Studio-2-Trial-Limitations

The error may be because you are trying to do something that is not allowed in the Trial Version, but if that is not the case then please provide more information on what you are trying to do when you get the error message as well as the exact error message itself so we can try to help you get it fixed.