GamePad inputs

I

ImKrakenUp

Hey there!
I understand that programming is what everyone is doing, but does any one know how to make GamePad inputs with DND? I searched everywhere, and there's no video or any good help out there for this.

Thank you.

N

NeZvers

Make yourself a favor and get to the GML, because you won't get far with DnD.

I

ImKrakenUp

Make yourself a favor and get to the GML, because you won't get far with DnD.

Well actually I'm incorporating both DND as well as GML, I just wanted to know if I could do it in DND before I begin to code. It's so sad that whenever I ask for help on DND, there is always a comment about "Stop using DND" People always say that I won't get far, but honestly, I did get far. I'd prefer to be ignored than to keep hearing "Stop using DND"

Gamebot

I've used DND many times. In some cases it's more organized and fine. In general, the number of inputs allowed and other handicaps make it harder to use for larger projects.

98.6% of the time I use code since code can do many more flexible things as there are far more tuts and information out there in general.

If it works for your project. Cheers!

rIKmAN

Hey there!
I understand that programming is what everyone is doing, but does any one know how to make GamePad inputs with DND? I searched everywhere, and there's no video or any good help out there for this.

Thank you.
If you are using GMS2 then there is actually an official DnD tutorial for setting up gamepads: https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/5786/adding-gamepad-support-dnd

There aren't many for anything else using DnD though, so if you can follow along with some beginner GML tutorials and get a handle some programming basics then there will be a massive library of GML based tutorials you can dive into afterwards.

Last edited:
It's curious how you think people telling you to stop using D'n'D is somehow obstructing you. Sure, do drag and drop, that's totally fine. Unfortunately, people who are really enjoy working with GMS and are producing tutorials, how-to's, etc, don't think it's all that good. So they are not going to make a whole tutorial series that limits themselves. There's a legitimate reasoning point there. You want to make cool 💩💩💩💩 with D'n'D. Other people don't make that same cool 💩💩💩💩 with D'n'D. You can be a trailblazer. Figure out how to do this stuff with D'n'D, start doing basic Game Maker Studio tutorials with it all in D'n'D and forge yourself a fan-base of people who don't understand GML but want to make games.

The problem really comes to a head when you realise that GMS is not ACTUALLY built for the D'n'D squad. You can do like 75% of what you want with D'n'D but it takes longer and you also don't have access to the full range of stuff that GMS offers. This isn't actually your problem, it's the problem that GMS creates for itself when it advertises itself as a hobbyist program. You gotta learn to "program" to program games. That's actually it. Anything else is fairies telling you that you just gotta believe.

Take the people who are best at making GMS do what they want and force them to use D'n'D. They will still create great stuff, but there's going to be a caveat. That caveat is "I couldn't do exactly what I wanted and it took me longer to do than I thought."

My viewpoint, coming from someone who has made games for nearly 20 years in GM (my old forum names was XedasKbrea and Colourblind), is that you can dabble in D'n'D but you cannot commit to it. If you really want something to work, learn the language to make it work. D'n'D might give you a quick fix to getting your ideas into reality, but it won't give you the control you need to actualise those ideas into a reality that you are proud of.