GameMaker Sudden Error: "Resource File is Malformed"

D

Dean Huxley

Hello, guys. I started up GameMaker 2 just now and received an error reading: "Resource file is malformed 'objects\obj_player\obj_player.yy' Invalid byte coding." Since obj_player is, as one would guess, my game's main character, this error effectively kills my entire project. Not too happy about it. Does anyone have any idea what this error means and, most importantly, if it's fixable? Thanks.

Might be a corrupted file. You can try loading up a backup of your project and see if it solves it (in case you have one).
If that doesn't work for you, you should contact YoYoGames helpdesk for support.

D

Dean Huxley

Might be a corrupted file. You can try loading up a backup of your project and see if it solves it (in case you have one).
If that doesn't work for you, you should contact YoYoGames helpdesk for support.
I frequently save my project on an external hard drive, so recovering my player character with most of its recent functionality intact is no problem. At this point I'd be losing about two days of progress, which isn't devastating but still highly inconvenient. Does GameMaker 2 have an automatic backup system like some other gaming languages?

samspade

I frequently save my project on an external hard drive, so recovering my player character with most of its recent functionality intact is no problem. At this point I'd be losing about two days of progress, which isn't devastating but still highly inconvenient. Does GameMaker 2 have an automatic backup system like some other gaming languages?
Not directly. However it has access to source control like git. Kind of crappy access that is moderately difficult to figure out and maintain, but still worth it.

D

Dean Huxley

Not directly. However it has access to source control like git. Kind of crappy access that is moderately difficult to figure out and maintain, but still worth it.
Good news: I've managed to 'fix' the error by replacing the corrupted obj_player folder on my PC with the unscathed obj_player folder from my external hard drive. After about an hour of updating the obj_player's code, the game is now functional once more. (I can only hope it stays that way.) I'll be sure to backup my files every time I make any significant progress in my project's development. Thanks for your advice and concern. Take care.