• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mobile Package Now or Later?

Y

yinyie

Hey i recently got started with game maker,

its my first serious project of this type and my prior programming knowledge is kinda lackluster, dont get me wrong i have a tad experience and have a tiny bit of talent if i may say so but i never got serious about really learning it and mostly just fumbled around.

Coming to GameMaker now because i have an idea which i really want to see a reality and i started off on the trial version, which doesnt have android support, now that i got a tiny bit familiar with how i plan to approach this project im realizing that the project will with utmost certainty blow the restrictions the trial and i have a feeling that im capable of completing it... thus ntending to get the full version (cheapest obv) .

HOWEVER as im a "bit" tight on money right now (ok lets face it im 💩💩💩💩ing broke right now as a student living alone) i dont wanna push my budget over the edge but as the project is meant to run on android in its final version im a bit uncertain on how necessary it is to get the Mobile SDK right now.
Will porting the project over into mobile once its completed (which isnt quite certainly going to happen) create issues and if its possible to avoid them do you have any tips on what mistakes not to make?
I intend to get the SDK once im certain the project is completable once i have cash to spare...

A first thanks to all who go through with answering my question in advance (no worries ill thank you again once you give an answer ;) )

Edit:
Holy 💩💩💩💩 that was a mess of nonsensical sentences.

Last edited by a moderator:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
If you're worried about hitting the limits of the trial but can't yet commit to the Mobile license, you might be interested in a Creator license. These 12-month licenses provide you full access to either the Windows or Mac export as well as the full base functionality of the IDE (if you're interested in developing for Desktop platforms instead of just testing on them, it even comes with a 30% off voucher for the Desktop license as a semi-upgrade path from Creator to Desktop), which hopefully will give you enough time to get familiar with the software and start developing your game. The timing is a bit unfortunate, though, as the Mobile export is currently on a 50% discount.

As a single game uses the same code base for all export platforms, you can start developing your game for Desktop platforms and then later export them to Mobile platforms. The amount of necessary changes depends on how your project is structured and which platform-specific functionality your game uses, so there's no clear-cut answer for this.

There's also a 60-day free Amazon Fire module trial available which should let you experiment around with exporting to mobile platforms.

Y

yinyie

If you're worried about hitting the limits of the trial but can't yet commit to the Mobile license, you might be interested in a Creator license. These 12-month licenses provide you full access to either the Windows or Mac export as well as the full base functionality of the IDE (if you're interested in developing for Desktop platforms instead of just testing on them, it even comes with a 30% off voucher for the Desktop license as a semi-upgrade path from Creator to Desktop), which hopefully will give you enough time to get familiar with the software and start developing your game. The timing is a bit unfortunate, though, as the Mobile export is currently on a 50% discount.

As a single game uses the same code base for all export platforms, you can start developing your game for Desktop platforms and then later export them to Mobile platforms. The amount of necessary changes depends on how your project is structured and which platform-specific functionality your game uses, so there's no clear-cut answer for this.

There's also a 60-day free Amazon Fire module trial available which should let you experiment around with exporting to mobile platforms.
Thank you for the info :)

So far im still within the limits of the trial as im merely in the process of setting up core functionalities which i can test on a very limited range of objects. The creator license sounds like a nice thing to look at.
And input is as normal for mobile fully based on touch which i currently use mouse for ... thats the only thing i can think of that id have to change. And i mean nothing speaks against exporting it to windows in the end either so yeah. Also would be useful to export to windows so others can have a look on it while im working on it.

[/closed] i guess :)