• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

How to make a joke?

E

ethian

Greetings...

I heard making jokes isn't easy and each try you'll get screwed up.

I don't want any stolen joke, please, teach me how to make a joke.

Please...???

L

Lonewolff

Should be titled 'Doubts about jokes' just to keep with his normal theme :D

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Setup > Exposition > payoff

Why did the chicken cross the road?
Because he was homeless.

The joke is the part that people find out from the setup that makes them think its funny, such as it being true, relatable, or unexpected

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Start by expanding your vocabulary, general trivia, critical thinking and use of figurative speech. All comedians I've seen and all of my social contacts with a reputation for being funny are strong in all of these.

Humour is all about making connections between ideas that others don't anticipate. Not only does your usual writing show a deficit of everything I've mentioned thus far, it also shows no evidence of thinking for yourself or in any pattern that isn't already someone else's. You are in no position to be funny.

If you want to make good original jokes and be genuinely funny, start by developing a standpoint of your own instead of asking others for approval or advice on every little thing. And start in your home language instead of another that you can't navigate without Google Translate.

I dunno @FrostyCat, I'm pretty sure he's created a comedic surrealist world to match that of the best comics out there. I mean, after a strew of topics establishing himself as a clueless, almost Mr. Bean-like, Nervous Game Maker worried mostly about how to copy things exactly without copying things, he then does a fast right turn into deconstruction of humour itself, providing a glimpse into the limits of each of our imaginations and forcing us to confront the creative impulses behind "Good artists copy, great artists steal." He's established a world in which toilet flush sounds are copyrighted, colours can't be reused and the core of the way we all create, synthesis, is lain bare in front of our modern world of litigiousness. I'm wondering when/if fourth wall breaking will become part of his act.

Posh Indie

That Guy
Pick something relevant to the current situation and do not explain the punchline. It should explain itself. Make use of double meanings, and if it is written, break normal convention to accentuate key elements of the joke that may not immediately be obvious to others (For instance, use uppercase letters).

"If you take enough steroids, your Nuts will be Goners."

Last edited:
E

ethian

You already succeeded many times. Maybe you're a natural.
???
Start by expanding your vocabulary, general trivia, critical thinking and use of figurative speech. All comedians I've seen and all of my social contacts with a reputation for being funny are strong in all of these.
Useful.
"If you take enough steroids, your Nuts will be Goners."
Better candy than steroids, i want swear-word-free jokes and anything else that makes a TV show have a high age rating... well... sort of...
But, i think general jokes are not copyrighted... same goes with simple drawings...

Talking about Nuts Goners, i'm embarassed about all that story, i explained things badly, and now you can't understand or misunderstand what it actually means...

Sorry about that... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sabrina Stoakes

You could try watching way too much Frasier like me!

This question is a little vague, but there are tons of different methods to humor, but all of it depends on the intended audience. For example: I like clever humor, stuff that is subtle, because having to think about what I'm watching makes me way more invested into it. You can always play it safe and stick with time period appropriate themes, but they will never stand the test of time. Sort of like how a lot of jokes on late 80s/early 90s sitcoms haven't aged too well, while shows like Seinfeld continue being funny even years later. It doesn't necessarily have to be groundbreaking either. Like how Paradise PD is a show that is really good, but is mostly jokes that aren't very groundbreaking. Just some stuff to think about <3

N

NeonBits

I heard making jokes isn't easy and each try you'll get screwed up. Please, teach me how to make a joke. Please...???
lol and some people say they don't have any experience; good one XD
You already succeeded many times. Maybe you're a natural. That aside, I'm not sure what the question here is.
rofl hey, that's a compliment coming from the mod with the spanking room! XD
Should be titled 'Doubts about jokes' just to keep with his normal theme :D
XD "one more time!"
Setup > Exposition > payoff

Because he was homeless.

The joke is the part that people find out from the setup that makes them think its funny, such as it being true, relatable, or unexpected
Unexpected, yes; before reading about the chicken, I thought it was a show promo for easy money...
>> But the joke was ultimately on us!
Naa, jokes on me, I haven't seen the chicken cross the road from this angle; well, maybe it's on you too, if you were at my position.... errr, doubtful; that would be too suggestive... unless... we were... playing twister, of course... naaaaaaa >.<

Start by expanding your vocabulary, general trivia, critical thinking and use of figurative speech.
But, like us, if he gets into critical thinking, he risks CVA! What's the point to expend vocabulary in such condition; you would definitly reach general trivia and figurative speech but that's it; that's not cool and not realy funny : /
or was it a reference toooo...... jokes! yes! jokes! XD
All comedians I've seen and all of my social contacts with a reputation for being funny are strong in all of these.
Humour is all about making connections between ideas that others don't anticipate.
You mean they ask you on a date often or... you're... the one... asking... them?
I mean you're a geisha catgirl... it would be natural... I mean them asking you out, meow >' .'<?
Not only does your usual writing show a deficit of everything I've mentioned thus far, it also shows no evidence of thinking for yourself or in any pattern that isn't already someone else's. You are in no position to be funny.
But he wasn't asking you on a date... oh.. were you asking him to get things on an interesting angle?
errr I'm lost... are you saying he's good for your contacts list for looking funny for being not so funny <.<
hey! happy ending >^ .^<
If you want to make good original jokes and be genuinely funny, start by developing a standpoint of your own instead of asking others for approval or advice on every little thing.
Yeah, because a bedroom is not public! err... unless it's a store promo...
And start in your home language instead of another that you can't navigate without Google Translate.
Now jokes on me LOL

I dunno @FrostyCat, I'm pretty sure he's created a comedic surrealist world to match that of the best comics out there.
Ah it was for the contact list after all.
I mean, after a strew of topics establishing himself as a clueless, almost Mr. Bean-like (...) he then does a fast right turn (...), providing a glimpse into the limits of each of our imaginations and forcing us to confront the creative impulses behind "Good artists copy, great artists steal." (...) I'm wondering when/if fourth wall breaking will become part of his act.
Wow what a stallion! err not compatible with a geisha, avoid! avoid! o.o
there are tons of different methods to humor, but all of it depends on the intended audience. For example: I like clever humor, stuff that is subtle, because having to think about what I'm watching makes me way more invested into it.
And I thought less talking meant more fun ...
Because I threw it.
Why, it wasn't fresh? Why are we talking about food, now?!
What is this thread about?!
I thought it was comedy lesson but it's instead around FrostyCat's dating preferences?
Geez, I can now understand her attitude; reading everyone, I share her feeling; this place is totaly not for dating!

Last edited by a moderator: