Confession Thread

M

Misty

Confession: I play gears of war and imagine the enemy hostiles as the people i hate online

E

ethian

I confess i left to my copyright, so all my ideas are now free to use, i also confess i don't care if anyone uses my ideas without permission.

E

ethian

did nuts goners just become public domain?
Yes, just because someone else i know wanted to use them on their projects without my permission, and so much!!!

So, nuts goners (And what they are actually) are... y'know...

Niels

I have another confession:
I think I like modern indies that are inspired by classics a lot more than the classics...
Recently I tried to get into:
-metal slug
-contra
-castlevania:SOTN
-megaman
-super metroid

(bear in mind that I never had a console as kid, so I have no strong nostalgic feeling for any of those games)
And honestly those game don't keep me interested for more than 30 minutes.
But I love all those retro inspired indies:)

M

Misty

I have another confession:
I think I like modern indies that are inspired by classics a lot more than the classics...
Recently I tried to get into:
-metal slug
-contra
-castlevania:SOTN
-megaman
-super metroid

(bear in mind that I never had a console as kid, so I have no strong nostalgic feeling for any of those games)
And honestly those game don't keep me interested for more than 30 minutes.
But I love all those retro inspired indies:)
Sounds like blasphemy IMO.

Let's be honest the main problem with those older games is difficulty curve, the original classics are often way too hard for the casual player.

But in terms of atmosphere, many of these newer games just cannot hold a candle.

Niels

Sounds like blasphemy IMO.

Let's be honest the main problem with those older games is difficulty curve, the original classics are often way too hard for the casual player.

But in terms of atmosphere, many of these newer games just cannot hold a candle.
Nah it's not that I like they are easier or more casual games by definition.
For example nightmare King grim (boss that is very inspired by castlevania's Dracula) in hollow knight was much harder than anything I encountered in SOTN.

I think it's just that the new games took what made those old games great, and cut off the stuff that wasn't as good.
And those "not so good" parts are most obvious when you return to those games AFTER playing the new ones, and without the nostalgia goggles to blind you.

Reactions: Cat
E

ethian

i confess i recorded a full episode with my phone, but i won't upload it to YouTube for copyright reasons, i'll just use it for recreational purposes...

L

Lonewolff

i confess i recorded a full episode with my phone, but i won't upload it to YouTube for copyright reasons, i'll just use it for recreational purposes...
I confess, this doesn't surprise me one bit.

flerpyderp

Nah it's not that I like they are easier or more casual games by definition.
For example nightmare King grim (boss that is very inspired by castlevania's Dracula) in hollow knight was much harder than anything I encountered in SOTN.

I think it's just that the new games took what made those old games great, and cut off the stuff that wasn't as good.
And those "not so good" parts are most obvious when you return to those games AFTER playing the new ones, and without the nostalgia goggles to blind you.
SOTN is notoriously easy and not a good example in this situation.

I am curious about what problems you had enjoying Super Metroid, and what newer games of its kind you think do better. My main passion is 16 bit era action games, but I think Super Metroid stands out as being a virtually perfect game, and an unforgettable experience for a first time player.

In contrast, I played Axiom Verge and was very excited about it. Heavily Super Metroid influenced, interesting setting, art, music etc. However I lost interest far quicker than I'd have predicted. Couldn't put my finger on one particular reason, but it just entirely failed to captivate me, whereas with Super Metroid I simply couldn't put the controller down.

M

Misty

SOTN is notoriously easy and not a good example in this situation.

I am curious about what problems you had enjoying Super Metroid, and what newer games of its kind you think do better. My main passion is 16 bit era action games, but I think Super Metroid stands out as being a virtually perfect game, and an unforgettable experience for a first time player.

In contrast, I played Axiom Verge and was very excited about it. Heavily Super Metroid influenced, interesting setting, art, music etc. However I lost interest far quicker than I'd have predicted. Couldn't put my finger on one particular reason, but it just entirely failed to captivate me, whereas with Super Metroid I simply couldn't put the controller down.
Hmm lets see.
Metroid:

Axiom Verge:

metroid music:

axiom verge music:

Fern

yo, what's happening explain?
From the time that I started programming until about 4 years ago, I genuinely loved it. Nowadays because my priorities are focused on surviving and earning a solid income, I tend to focus my efforts on what's required. A side effect of that is not loving the programming itself nearly as much. I have my days but it's very rare. That's not to say I don't love the end result or the games I make. Just not the typing out of enums, ds map entries, some clever solution, etc.

L

Lonewolff

I confess, I am tossing up whether to code or to just watch Netflix.

(edit)
Did both in the end. Productive day! :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Rivo

From the time that I started programming until about 4 years ago, I genuinely loved it. Nowadays because my priorities are focused on surviving and earning a solid income, I tend to focus my efforts on what's required. A side effect of that is not loving the programming itself nearly as much. I have my days but it's very rare. That's not to say I don't love the end result or the games I make. Just not the typing out of enums, ds map entries, some clever solution, etc.
That's really interesting to hear... I talked to a freelancer/game dev a lil while back and he says he finds it best if he keeps lil side projects of his own. He'll mess around and code stuff that he finds interesting/fun. Maybe that just keeps his mind off of money and makes it feel like less of a chore. Anyway, I hope you find your love for programming back... I confess I feel the same way :(

M

Misu

Ok, I want to criticize how people (mostly @ethian ) uses the confession lately. His past few confessions are NOT real confessions at all. They are status updates but beginning with "I confess". Thats just disguising it for the sake of spamming. A real confession has to be something quite personal to expose yet being told to the public for hearing out from others. I mean I can say I am giving resources to anyone any time and you can mostly hear that from anyone anywhere so that does not mean it can be a confession; that would be more of a notification. Seriously, you could just post those stuff in the status board instead.

Fern

That's really interesting to hear... I talked to a freelancer/game dev a lil while back and he says he finds it best if he keeps lil side projects of his own. He'll mess around and code stuff that he finds interesting/fun. Maybe that just keeps his mind off of money and makes it feel like less of a chore. Anyway, I hope you find your love for programming back... I confess I feel the same way :(
I don't mind having lost the love for it. I'm still proud of what I produce and there is a certain level of fulfillment still associated with watching people play my games and such. It just isn't quite the same nowadays. I think it's just part of growing up and having already experienced a lot of those "joys" a few times already.

E

ethian

Do you know why it seem i'm not making my game? Because i confess i don't like toxic people on the internet and if i publish my game, they will attack me, so i won't publish my game ever, i'll just share it with my friends and family in a non-internet way or something else.

Niels

I confess that I don't get the whole Gamejam hype that every indiedev seem to be praising...
I did a few Jams, and it's mostly just draining the fun out of Gamedev.
Maybe if you are between age 14-25 without responsibilities, it's a great time, but I much rather spend time with my friends/family than crunching out a project.

It does feel a bit like a young person's game, I can't pull all nighters like I used to. But I still mostly enjoy seeing what I can come up with and make in that time. Often get something that I would have never come up with in a normal situation and that I could make a proper full game out of.
With all I have to do I still have plenty of time for friends and family so I don't know.

flerpyderp

I've never participated in a jam that had a time limit of less than a week. The longest one was around a month. TV Game Jam just started and it has a duration of two weeks.

If you enjoy the appeal of jams, such as deadlines and restrictions, joining a small community, getting to watch people stream your game and give feedback etc, but don't want a 2/3 day crunch, look for these longer duration jams.

Aajowa

I confess that I had a moxie once while holidaying in America and (No offense to Mainers) it tasted like an ashtray.

I also confess that this is post 4/5 to let me post links. Mwuahahaha

N

NicholasNC

I confess.. I once put oreos in a sandwich toaster.they turned into black tar which tasted like hell..

M

Misu

I also confess that this is post 4/5 to let me post links. Mwuahahaha
Um I dont know if Im wrong but I dont think offtopic threads count for the posting requisites. Last time I remember you have to post five times in threads that are not from offtopic in order to finally have priveledge in starting threads.

M

Misu

Okay, so I have been putting a lot of thought into what I'm about to talk about. I would try to put it in the best words I can to describe everything correctly (even though I am not the best at that). I've been in a depression on this subject (I'm about to talk about) for the past few months. And now I believe its best that I finally spoke it out to everyone in the hope to remove my depression or at least something.

I honestly confess that I am terrible at keeping friends and respect from others and its mostly because I am no good at respecting other people's decisions and needs. This took me a long while to realize but it came to my conclusion. Most of my favorite and beloved forum members don't like me (or simply just lost interest in me) because of that same bad habit. The first person to be affected by this was CrazyGuyGames before splitting up due to my bad intentions with other members, providing him with the wrong ideas. I also remember a time where Alice would start chats with me a lot, especially for GMC Jam, and it was a great time until I started a bad discussion once and now she never even tries saying a word to me since. Then there was TheUltimate which I still don't know what I did wrong to make her ignore me, but it had something to do about the last conversation we had. And then Matharoo, which is the closest one I had where we spent time helping other members, and I helped him build up the Mentor server. It was then where my bad impressions showed up after disagreeing with a certain environment he was aiming and the argument about a certain song I despise.

Bottom line is that I'm unaware of these misinterpreted statements or neglective opinions. It's hard for me to even tell that what I am saying may be incorrect for others or even hurt them. I'm losing respect from the ones I admire the most and I never really want them to lure away. It breaks my heart now than ever to know that I won't have any opportunity to turn that around. I really wish I could return back to the past where everything is fine and I never had the rejection from them. I apologize so much for everything and I apologize for even making this stupid post. I just can't hold all this any longer and I need to let go of it for once... but I want to let go of it by letting the world know. I don't want this to be a silent thing anymore.

M

Misty

I shower in the nude.
Same.

My other confession is that i have mental illness. And sometimes when i take my meds I feel worse than before and lose my balance in the shower, yet do not fall. then fantasize about hitting my head so hard that i coma into another dimension that is better than this world.

Rob

This has been something that's been bugging me for a while now and I need to get it off my chest, even if it's just to the people on this forum.

I've been in love for a few months... actually its been more like 6 months in total... and there was a time when I couldn't get her out of my head. But now, I keep thinking of other projects I want to do and they excite me so much!

Please help meh remain faithful to mah current project!

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
if I wans't restricted I would like the post. I can feel your pain and I know how it feels to say stupid crap or one political opinion and lose friendships over that, even people you dearly loved.
I hope they read your post and want to become friends again.

I don't know how you feel about me Misu, but you were the first member I ever talked to on the old YYGF (oh boy), you were nice to me ever since. You're one of my favourites here and I'm happy uR still around.

Rob

I guess my previous post was insensitive but I hadn't read yours until just now - just a heads up.

I can't say that I have any friends, not even e-friends. I used to have a few but my rl needs and obligations as well as timezone kinda makes it impossible. I had one good e-friend that I have some awesome memories of (and I first played a game with him about a decade ago, or so) and he kept trying to find games we could play together but I just can't commit to the same amount of time playing games that I used to, and that's still his main hobby.

And so we no longer even talk or anything.

I felt like i should share something seeing as you already poured your heart up, and the next thing I wanna say is "stop beating yourself up".

If you're an a-hole and you're just starting to realise it then OK. Everybody changes and sometimes you have to experience things yourself to be able to develop or understand more.

I think the important thing is to know what you want to do and focus on that.

M

Misty

The first person to be affected by this was CrazyGuyGames before splitting up due to my bad intentions with other members, providing him with the wrong ideas.
What kinds of ideas did you provide?

E

ethian

I confess everything i made is actually copied from someone else, i liked to copy before, but now i don't do that anymore because it's bad. That's why i have many copyright-related doubts in this forum.

Sorry about that. :(

Aajowa

I confess that this was a fail. As @Misu said, off topic posts don't add to your post count. :p
Um I dont know if Im wrong but I dont think offtopic threads count for the posting requisites. Last time I remember you have to post five times in threads that are not from offtopic in order to finally have priveledge in starting threads.
I discovered that too late. Haha, it was worth a shot!

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Its time for me to confess my sins again

So you know how in the programming thread your meant to put (solved) in the title for when its solved? For the past few months Ive been spelling it wrong or putting a different word for it there

Last edited:

Sk8dududu

My dads wedding was yesterday, I dropped acid as I was parking the car and proceeded to try and keep my 💩💩💩💩 together for 10 hours while talking to people I've never met, or rarely see all night. It was a pretty fun wedding I think.
I didn't tell anyone except for my brother.