• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

The Nintendo Fan Thread! - The Switch Pro!

Well a lot of the world had a problem with Manhunt(Pretty sure it was banned or at least refused classificaction in my country, Australia) in general so I would say that's not a very good example at all.
I mean, Madworld was also on Wii and it was just as violent if not more so with a similar premise(thoughsome have argued the artstyle made it less realistic so less of a problem I guess)

M

Misty

I have a question. I make high quality games and want to sell these games. The games are not finished yet but someday they will be. And when I listen to music...Nintendo music is the most epic and wondrous music that completely fits my games. And I have found no other music that fits my games so well as Nintendo music. So I don't know what to do. Because I don't want to put in low quality music. Only Nintendo music is the highest quality music for my highest quality games. I dont want to detract points from my game by using standard Indie music. So what do I do.

I have a question. I make high quality games and want to sell these games. The games are not finished yet but someday they will be. And when I listen to music...Nintendo music is the most epic and wondrous music that completely fits my games. And I have found no other music that fits my games so well as Nintendo music. So I don't know what to do. Because I don't want to put in low quality music. Only Nintendo music is the highest quality music for my highest quality games. I dont want to detract points from my game by using standard Indie music. So what do I do.
Learn to write music or hire a Japanese composer, lol

L

Lonewolff

I make high quality games and want to sell these games.
Pics?

Nintendo music is the most epic and wondrous music that completely fits my games. And I have found no other music that fits my games so well as Nintendo music.
Depends on what music you grew up playing to. For me nothing goes past the tunes created on the C64, with the likes of Matt Gray, Martin Galway, & Reyn Ouehand (to just name a few).

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Misty

Learn to write music or hire a Japanese composer, lol
What website do I go to for this? I dont see any such composers in the GMC.

Pics?

Depends on what music you grew up playing to. For me nothing goes past the tunes created on the C64, with the likes of Matt Gray, Martin Galway, & Reyn Ouehand (to just name a few).
This is objective proof of objective truth. I too one day was browsing for music. I heard some c64 songs. Forgot the names. And boy were they good songs.

No websites or tricks unfortunately. You just study music like your life depends on it for twenty years, lol.

Look up jazz stuff on YouTube and practice it. That was pretty helpful to me. You just have to learn everything you can, though.

M

Misty

No websites or tricks unfortunately. You just study music like your life depends on it for twenty years, lol.

Look up jazz stuff on YouTube and practice it. That was pretty helpful to me. You just have to learn everything you can, though.
I need the music within 20 minutes. Not 20 years.

TheouAegis

Martin Galway
That man is a god among game composers.

The best place to hire affordable Japanese game music composers is the various colleges of music in Japan. That's how Nintendo got a hold of Koji Kondo and Hirokazu Tanaka, and how Konami got a hold of Kinuyo Yamashita, Michiru Yamane and Junya Nakano.

And FYI, Nobuo Uematsu had no formal training, he was technically an indie composer when he first started working for Square(soft).

Also curious what classifies as "Nintendo music". Music from games made by Nintendo's in-house teams? Which era? Which consoles? Which games? Mario and Zelda games on the NES had simple, almost non-existent soundtracks comprised of just short jingles. Gameboy games by Nintendo had forgettable music. It wasn't until the SNES and N64 that Kondo really started to shine. Nintendo themselves didn't really put out a whole lot of games, so really by saying "Nintendo music" you technically restrict it to stuff which was half the time catchy and memorable, but also half the time completely forgettable trash.

I need the music within 20 minutes. Not 20 years.
You should have thought about the music before you got too far along in the project. Good music, even good jingles, take weeks or months to write. You can use any of the music Nintendo's composers already released; no one's going to stop you. Although if word got out you were using their copyrighted materials, their lawyers might send you mail. lol

You need to do a little thing called 'research'. Plenty of vg composers on places like bandcamp and soundcloud.
Helps to make friends and network a bit.

M

Misty

Awesome, you finished the game already? That was quick!
No. I dont need the music in literally 20 minutes its just a figure of speech.

You need to do a little thing called 'research'. Plenty of vg composers on places like bandcamp and soundcloud.
Helps to make friends and network a bit.
There are millions of users. How do I find the good ones? Because people give 5 stars to rap music and hipster stuff that I don't care for. Dubstep is okay but not what I'm looking for.

How do you find anything good anywhere? You have to start looking. It's not ideal, but I use those places a bit passively and still stumble upon stuff that appeals to me.

M

Misty

How do you find anything good anywhere? You have to start looking. It's not ideal, but I use those places a bit passively and still stumble upon stuff that appeals to me.
Can you pm me some links that sound like Nintendo or good C64 tunes?

TheouAegis

One place I would consider looking, although I don't know if the people on the side are still active, is an NSF database or forum. Download the files, listen to them, if you find something original that you like, contact the person that made it. NSF is the format used by Nintendo emulators. So if somebody makes a good song in NSF format, then you know they are capable of writing music that would fit with the NES. As for commodore 64 music, I can't remember what file format that falls under, but there are forums for it as well. You can also look up chiptune music. I think the band ymck makes cute NES-inspired music.

M

Misty

This is why Nintendo makes better games...

One place I would consider looking, although I don't know if the people on the side are still active, is an NSF database or forum. Download the files, listen to them, if you find something original that you like, contact the person that made it. NSF is the format used by Nintendo emulators. So if somebody makes a good song in NSF format, then you know they are capable of writing music that would fit with the NES. As for commodore 64 music, I can't remember what file format that falls under, but there are forums for it as well. You can also look up chiptune music. I think the band ymck makes cute NES-inspired music.
Thanku.

M

Misty

Not tryin' to be an SJW. But what if Link is transsexual and is Samus. Hear me out. Nintendo made transsexuals before, but it was always the angry americans making them censor their games. Americans love censorship and all they do is censor the pokemen. Google the banned episodes of the pokemen to "c" what I mean. Pokemen was made by nintendo too.

What if Link was tired of saving HighRule (land of pots). Because all it is is reccists keepin the black man down. And he got no gratitude for saving the kingdom not even a kiss from Zelda. So he said enough is enough, time for the future. And so he went to the Temple of the Times. Went to the future to explore the lands. No technical skills of any kind, but by then they had Universal Basic Income. So he didn't need a job and could be neet just enjoying the cosmos. And he knew he was happier as a woman so became Samus. Now hear me out. What if the Chozo needed a hero to save them from the space pirates. Knew he was the time lord of the ancient lands. So teleported him to their world. Using advanced nanotech (this is canon, the Chozo have actual nanotech) they wiped his mind, put in memories of him being raised on Tallon 4. And said go forth and defend our lands from the space pirates. Now here me out because 2 things. 1. Samus looks different in every game. Meaning the future has shape-shifting nanotech to change your form. 2. Samus looks the same as Link in some games. Look.

Also my 2nd theory. What if I am the chosen one of the Nintendo ancient prophecy. And it's like the same as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, by proving my worth by unravelling this ancient truth, I have proven I am worthy to be the next CEO of these Nintendo lands.

Also, Samus is Elon Musk's favorite character and who he wishes he was. So maybe even Elon Musk is also Link of this timeline, or maybe Link's long lost brother:
https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-favorite-smash-bros-character-samus-2018-12

Last edited:
M

Misty

Okay I gave Smash Bros 4 another shot. Got bullied online by GMC for whistleblowing and pointing out the flaws. Playing the new Smash 4 with a buddy who's sane and a reasonable person. Horrible game they told me. No fun at all.

I was bullied for saying the online lags. Saying get better net. So I did. I got 100 Mbits per second net. And still laggy and the worst netcode since Smash Brawl (which is the worst netcode of all time.) Also feels like I'm being trolled. When I boot up the game I get spammed by random unending notifactions like a spam. The movie was meh and the menu music loops really annoying with really annoying guitar sounds. Treated to horrid MS paint graphics that make ms paint of GMC seem bearable. Overall a horrid game. World upside down if people think smash 4 is great game.

Haven't played Smash Ultimate yet btw. Feel my soul dying and can't look at early smash the same way. Seems more like an accident that they were good games.

M

Misty

Ultimate is much better. Plays closest to Melee.
Saw some vids. Didn't care for the graphics it hurt my eyes. Something soul-sucking about the graphics I can't explain. Has that kind of Unity white outline effect on the edges.

The same effect is in Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8, and yet I like the graphics of those games.

Also, I can't explain why I don't like smash 4 (other than the obvious online flaws, lack of real campaign, and bad menus.) But something about the gameplay just seems "off". Like I can't explain it. Like a feeling that it is sucking out my soul mana (real life mana, not ingame), instead of giving me soul mana.

That's all completely off base though I will concede that Smash 4's netcode wasn't great. That said, I had lag free matches consistently with one on one matches with friends. As an Australian, I know all about 💩💩💩💩ty internet connections, and how much of a blessing good netcode is.
Apart from the online, Smash 4 was a fantastic and it felt great to play. It stuck a great balance between the gameplay of Melee and Brawl, which as someone who ranks Melee as my least favourite Smash, that was nice.
The music was(as always) fantastic, it must be a dream come true for all the musicians involced getting to play on that massove sandbox of classic tunes.
The extra game modes like Smash Run and Smash Tour were good, we got a little spoilt with the Subspace Emissary from Brawl so I now do miss the long campaign with all those wonderful cutscenes.
My main disappointment from Smash 4 was the character culling. It sucked that certain characters were missing for various reasons.

Smash Ultimate on the other hand is the apex of the series. The gameplay is as perfect and balanced as ever, you can especially notice this with the heavy characters getting punished way less. The online is massively improved, I have only had the rare match with strangers have any lag with most matches feeling perfect.
The classic mode is wonderful with each character having personalised and themed enemiesand bosses that are so perfect for each character.
Where I think Smash Ultimate falls short is the lack of minigames and alternate game modes. I really do miss Target mode and some of the other various minigames like the Home Run Contest and the arcadey coin ones from Brawl. That said, Adventure Mode is pretty packed and exciting once you get into it.

Bro... Unity games wish they looked that good.
Misty, I think you must have some other serious issues in your life because I cannot understand some of your criticisms. Do you need glasses? Maybe your mental health and general negative attitude are affecting how you view and experience things. This isn't an attack btw, I am genuinely concerned about you and how you come to these conclusions of yours.

M

Misty

That's all completely off base though I will concede that Smash 4's netcode wasn't great. That said, I had lag free matches consistently with one on one matches with friends. As an Australian, I know all about ****ty internet connections, and how much of a blessing good netcode is.
Never had a lag free match but it uses lockstep so theoretically if both players are high speed it should not lag, theoretically, never had it actually happen in reality.

Apart from the online, Smash 4 was a fantastic and it felt great to play. It stuck a great balance between the gameplay of Melee and Brawl, which as someone who ranks Melee as my least favourite Smash, that was nice.
And I'm the one with issues? lol.

It is universally agreed upon that Melee is best. Brawl is floaty for kids. 4 manages to be somehow even worse. Although I can't give an explanation why 4 is so bad, it just seems off somehow. In fact even random people I meet IRL agree with me too. Like it's universal. Sort of like how rice pudding is delicious. Now some people may disagree, and say rice pudding is not good, but those people are crazy. Now I know arguments of popularity are a fallacy, but still.

The music was(as always) fantastic, it must be a dream come true for all the musicians involced getting to play on that massove sandbox of classic tunes.
The music of 4 was the worst of any Smash. I still enjoy hearing the movie music from time to time. But it doesn't hold a candle to Brawl music. The main menu music is that spanish guitar loop in the Brawl multiplayer room. Except they changed it so it loops more and is more annoying, I liked the original version much better.

The world is upsidedown and this is how they said it would be. That when I post, someone will say the world is upside down and tell me the music that is extremely annoying is somehow not annoying. That the sky is red when it is blue. Next I will be told that buzzing alarms aren't annoying, but are soothing sounds.

The extra game modes like Smash Run and Smash Tour were good, we got a little spoilt with the Subspace Emissary from Brawl so I now do miss the long campaign with all those wonderful cutscenes.
My main disappointment from Smash 4 was the character culling. It sucked that certain characters were missing for various reasons.
No we weren't spoiled. Even the campaign of Smash 1 was better than Smash 4's campaign. Which is really sad tbh.

Also I heard nintendo deleted the whole campaign because someone leaked the story. Which is completely crazy and ludicrous.

Bro... Unity games wish they looked that good.
Bro...It still looks better than unity but that's not saying much.

Misty, I think you must have some other serious issues in your life because I cannot understand some of your criticisms. Do you need glasses? Maybe your mental health and general negative attitude are affecting how you view and experience things. This isn't an attack btw, I am genuinely concerned about you and how you come to these conclusions of yours.
Not an attack btw but your game jam games are artistically horrible. Maybe mental illness not sure. Maybe glasses not sure, could be a negative attitude because those games seem grim and bleak to me, nothin personal.

And yes you are right I do have mental illness so I don't feel the hype as much. Still, steam shovelware is still steam shovelware. And its not nostalgia looking back and seeing that certain quality standards older games had, that newer games just don't have.

Such as my review of Mario Kart 8. Sure the graphics fulfilled Nintendo quality standards. But I mathematically proved the physics model was drastically inferior to the other mario kart games including Mario Kart 7 and 64.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Not a fan of Nintendo trying to stand out with stupid gimmicks.. but hey, their methods to sustain popularity actually works.

L

Lonewolff

The 'Labo' didn't turn out to be the huge hit everyone was making out (unless I have been in the cupboard too long and missed the phenomenon that it has become).

They were never trying to "stand out" with stupid gimmicks, they were just trying to do something new, like they always have...
The Wii U being their only massive stumble but even then the idea was good as an evolution of the two screens idea from DS.

I'll admit that Labo sounded dumb even to me, but I had no idea how relaxing and satisfying it could be to build those little cardboard devices. The robot game left a bit to be desired but the concept itself was cool, directly controlling a giant robot and smashing 💩💩💩💩. The vehicle kit was much more satisfying and fun to play.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Doing something new or different to get customers is trying to stand out with a gimmick. Two screens is a gimmick. Joycons are a gimmick. The Wiimote. A gimmick. Whether one finds it stupid, I'm bold enough to be the minority that says it very much is.

they were just trying to do something new, like they always have...
But they were not always like that. I miss the days like the GameCube and prior where they made normal consoles and handhelds, without resorting to something so counter-intuitive to their already-obtained success. They've been at it the longest, so they really do not need to stand out. They already do.

The wiimote has like 3 buttons and a D-pad. Playing wii sports boxing with the nunchuk shows the limits to what that can do in the most unpleasant and embarrassing way possible.

The Joycons are even smaller, and very uncomfortable to hold. This reminds me, my friends spent $400 for something that is just going to get a huge scratch up screen the moment they put it in the dock without a screen protector.

"Cool, I just got the semi-new Zelda Breath of the Wild port from the old Wii U for my Switch" *random error message and crash on start up*

"Whether one finds it stupid, I'm bold enough to be the minority that says it very much is."
So very bold and brave. How do you ever find the courage to say such dangerous things?!

Since when have Nintendo ever really made normal consoles? They have almost always been wildly different from the last. The Snes doubled the amount of buttons, the N64 added a third grip, analogue stick, and rumble pack, the Gamecube was more inline with the competition at the time but even then their controller was wacky compared to the rest, especially the face button layout.

You have no idea how wonderful the joycons are... I will admit that I can understand how some people may find them a tad small on their own, gods know my least favourite way to play Mario Kart is on a single joy-con, but even then it still works well and I have little trouble playing. I had issues with the size of the DS lite, so I can understand these issues of discomfort. But man, playing in handheld mode you have the weight of the screen to keep things steady in your hands and they struck a good balance with size and comfort, this is much better than the DS Lite for example. But then in docked mode you suddenly have a multitude of options. You can slot them into the controller dock which makes it basically a standard gamepad, or you can hold them individually and suddenly I'm laying in all sorts of comfortable positions on my couch no longer confined by the restrictions of a single gamepad that I have to keep both hands on together, I can throw one arm to each side or lay down or anything, it's great. If they still feel too small in your hands, you can get cheap plastic grips(I got some with a carry case I bought) and they make them much easier to hold with longer fingers.

I'll tell you first-hand that you're not going to scratch your Switch screen with the dock, unless you are really trying to. There's even a little rubber nub inside I guess to prevent something so stupid. At first I was really careful with my Switch dock but now I basically throw it in with wild, reckless abandon, still no scratches.

@ElectroMan Heh... Ok, recent massive stumbles.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

All the examples you gave are what I consider normal consoles. They aren't really that different or anywahere near as odd as the newer stuff imo. I'll just leave it at that.

11clock

All the examples you gave are what I consider normal consoles. They aren't really that different or anywahere near as odd as the newer stuff imo. I'll just leave it at that.
I do agree that the Wii and Wii U focused too much on the gimmick side of things, but I think you are undervaluing some of these “gimmicks.”

The dual screen setup allowed for much cleaner UI on a small handheld screen by allowing devs to move that information to a different screen.

The Switch is a handheld that allows for convenient gaming on the TV, being the closest I have ever seen to my ideal console experience. Never before have I been able to play such high quality games on road trips, plane flights, and in bed while also being able to play the same games on the TV. This is more than just a gimmick, it is revolutionary.

Nintendo Direct today everyone!!!
https://www.twitch.tv/nintendo
Fantastic direct!!
-MARIO MAKER 2!!! And they started with slopes. Cheeky bastards, hahah! Made me laugh! :'D
-Dragon Quest XI SUPER EDITION
-YOSHI
-DEATH BATTLE ROYALE TETRIS
-NEW PLATINUM IP
-FIRE EMBLEM!
-Rune Factory 4 and 5! Back from the dead, apparently!
-LINK'S AWAKENING remake!!
-A bunch of other fun little things!

So good! I think the Switch is going to be a real contender for "best console ever made" by the time its run is through. Nintendo is going crazy these past few years.

Last edited:

TheouAegis

Revolutionary controller design, but nothing gimmicky at first.

Gimmicky as heck. A light gun. An interactive robot.

A 4-player infrared wireless controller adapter.

The predecessor to Dance Dance Revolution.

Some gimmicks just didn't even work well.

Early 3D gaming was a flop before the VB.

A modem. BEEEE-REEE-Ri-BOOOP!

Even Konami gave in to the gimmickiness of Nintendo.

Even Broderbund pitched in with their own zaniness.

Bandai's gimmicky barcode reader for the Famicom.

Game&Watch... Like those Tiger Handhelds. The precursor and side companion to Nintendo's most successful gimmick...

The king of handheld game systems.

Nintendo's most shameful gimmick.

One of the most useless useful peripherals on the SNES.

Verrrry limited use satellite TV receiver for the Super Famicom.

Koei's universal CD player controller so some of their games could play along with extra audio on your own CD player.

Then of course we have the modern marvels like touch screens, dual screens, funky 3D controls, rumblepaks, and gyroscopic infrared remotes. And they almost gave us the first good CD console (which Sega almost ruined for everyone, lol). But yeah, they have been a very gimmicky company for decades. And while Gamecube wasn't gimmicky per se, it was an avant garde design, which I can appreciate.

M

Misty

Doing something new or different to get customers is trying to stand out with a gimmick. Two screens is a gimmick. Joycons are a gimmick. The Wiimote. A gimmick. Whether one finds it stupid, I'm bold enough to be the minority that says it very much is.

But they were not always like that. I miss the days like the GameCube and prior where they made normal consoles and handhelds, without resorting to something so counter-intuitive to their already-obtained success. They've been at it the longest, so they really do not need to stand out. They already do.

The wiimote has like 3 buttons and a D-pad. Playing wii sports boxing with the nunchuk shows the limits to what that can do in the most unpleasant and embarrassing way possible.

The Joycons are even smaller, and very uncomfortable to hold. This reminds me, my friends spent $400 for something that is just going to get a huge scratch up screen the moment they put it in the dock without a screen protector.

"Cool, I just got the semi-new Zelda Breath of the Wild port from the old Wii U for my Switch" *random error message and crash on start up*
Nintendo needs to stop worrying about gimmicks and go back to QC.

Nintendo started out as a company that made crappy games so they hired Shigeru Miyamoto to make Mario. In fact Nintendo was always a failure since the 1800s. Tried making boardgames, card games, even tried running love hotels and failed at that too. Tried videogames and failed, then Shigeru Miyamato like a divine god from the heavens swooped down and saved their company.

Ever since, Nintendo has prided itself of qc (quality control.) Until 2011 when they released wii. The last qc days of Nintendo was the gamecube days. After gamecube, it became the era of wii shovelware. Wii U was actually way superior to wii, but people were still so mad about Wii that they just lost interest in Wii U and it tanked. But realizing they need Nintendo in their lives, like an estranged wife they want to be Nintendo's girl again. And will look past Nintendo's flaws on even the Switch. Such as them re-releasing the same Mario Kart 8 as before. Only adding very minor gameplay tweaks and a few cool new characters. Oh and Mario Kart 8 wasn't even a finished game, it had no battle maps. So basically Nintendo is patching an unfinished game and selling it full price. Also on switch I heard they are unable to release the SNES games on schedule, years overdue for some reason when amateurs can get it done in only a week.

Got to love the reviews too. Just fanboys complaining about Pink Gold Peach. Very serious and detailed reviews. You know a review is legit when it mainly focuses on character roster, and never talks about physics at all.

Also the Nintendo Switch hardware is awful. But the concept of having each screen independent of each other is a great idea. The controllers are too small though.

Oh yeah. Back in the day nintendo made games for teens and adults. Now they just make games for toddlers. Nintendo used to mean skill-based competitive games like mario, smash bros and f-zero. Or intellectual games like Metroid Prime. Now everything is watered-down easy mode. I remember back in Mario Kart Wii where you had to place higher than half the pack to rank up. So rank meant something. Mario Kart 8 rank is meaningless because you only rank down if you are in the bottom 3. I remember back in the day when Peach and Bowser would drink booze after winning a cup. Back in the days where bricks were really Toads and Birdo and Zelda was a transsexual. Now everything is like watered down and conformist. I remember back when bowsers castle sounded like some strange siren song about demonic hellscapes. Now the new one just sounds like Jazz you'd hear on Jay Leno tonight show. Still pretty good though tbh.

FYI I think the original marios were too hard, I think Nintendo games should be easier but not too easy.

Last edited:
@Misty: you're complaining that Nintendo games take no skill like their old games "like Smash Bros" when Smash Ultimate just came out, and you yourself admitted you sucked at the new Mario Kart, lol. How can you suck at something that requires no skill? Also, go play Splatoon online and tell me that "toddlers" are playing it. You'll never get past C rank, lmao.

Also, a company that lasts for a hundred years isn't a failure, and Nintendo didn't "used to" make physical board games and hanafuda cards and the like. They still do - I just bought a shogi set from them last month! :p

M

Misty

@Misty: you're complaining that Nintendo games take no skill like their old games "like Smash Bros" when Smash Ultimate just came out, and you yourself admitted you sucked at the new Mario Kart, lol. How can you suck at something that requires no skill? Also, go play Splatoon online and tell me that "toddlers" are playing it. You'll never get past C rank, lmao.
I've never played ultimate I was just talking about brawl and 4. I don't like gfx of ultimate but for all I know its a competitive game. If ultimate isn't competitive then I can't say I'd be surprised.

I never said I sucked at the new mario kart, if I remember correctly. What I remember is some troll said I sucked because they didn't like I gave the game only a rating of 6 or 8 out of 10. I said I sucked at mario kart for the snes.

I never played Splatoon online, but I played campaign and thought it was a good game. Still isn't as good as Metroid Prime but I will take it, its a solid quality game that deserves to be on Wii U. Metroid Prime: Federation Force isn't. Shouldn't even be called Metroid Prime. Should just be Metroid: Federation Force.

M

Misty

I want to go to one of their love hotels and sleep with the princess.
They went out of business so no can do. But legend says Rainbow Road of mk64 is almost like reliving the experience, sort of like a tribute.

@Misty: Splatoon was made for online, and Ultimate is EXTREMELY well made and competitive. You'd like both, for sure. And Nintendo just released a good Metroid last year and Prime 4 is being worked on by Retro as we speak, so I think you'll be more happy with Nintendo soon. ;)

Edit: Also, I kind've felt the same way about Ultimate's graphics when I first saw them in videos, too. But somehow when you're playing they look great. The graphics really help readability in fights, and everything feels so crisp and punchy. Nintendo did a great job.