Doubt about RPG Combat System where you dodge the enemies' attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ethian

Greetings...

I have a doubt before taking a long break from using this website since this february (A.K.A. the premiere of Opa Popa Dupa in Nat Geo Kids)

Can i use a similar combat system to Undertale's anyways?

A combat system where you dodge the enemies attacks?

A combat system that is not the same but is similar?

But it has the same purpose of dodging the enemies' attacks?

But in a new way?

Thanks!

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Since Undertale invented the idea of being able to dodge enemy attacks in an RPG, of course all games made after it may not involve dodging and the player must get hit by every attack used by an enemy. :V

... okay, not quite. The above is roughly true as long as a patent was registered for a particular aspect of a game. If this was not the case, it's up to your best judgment to determine whether you want to risk having your game compared to one of the most successful indie games that was released in the past few years.

E

ethian

I wouldn't risk combat of any kind. The creators of Undertale own the rights to combat now.

You need to create a puzzle game instead.
Great idea...

I was thinking on make the similar combat system, with a different look, and also, the enemies can dodge the player's attacks, but not in an unfair way... isn't this bad? better not...

I'll better make my other great game, the clothesline one, or i'll better let someone else to make it... thread closed?

With all these Undertale topics it seems like you're trying to find someone to tell you "it's alright" to copy another game.
Rest assured, though, if you do decide to make something like that with your own twist... go ahead! Make it your own and your fine. Make it someone else's and you're stealing.

I think it's worth noting that games that involve dodging enemy attacks in a confined space have existed longer than Undertale. Just look up "bullet hell combat", and you'll see countless games that use this mechanic in their own unique way. I would say Undertale simply popularized it.

I wouldn't risk combat of any kind. The creators of Undertale own the rights to combat now.

Can there be a laugh react for this site? XD

Last edited:
E

ethian

Yes you can use some avoidance battle system.
YouTube says that ideas like kung fu tigers, for example are not copyrighted (right?), but making a game with a combat system where you avoid the enemies' attacks would be plagiarism if is exactly like Undertale's combat system...
What about making the combat system similar and with new characteristics enough to make the thing be something new anyways? making something something new will avoid copyright issues,but if it includes copyrighted material like a footage of a TV show, or an internet image of a random landscape as a painting in the living, there will be copyright issues anyways although is something new (right?)

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
What about making the combat system similar and with new characteristics enough to make the thing be something new anyways? making something something new will avoid copyright issues,but if it includes copyrighted material like a footage of a TV show, or an internet image of a random landscape as a painting in the living, there will be copyright issues anyways although is something new (right?)
It's not new when you literally take something that already was made by someone else and use it in something you make. Isn't there info about this question on YouTube as well? There apparently is something about kung fu tigers, so...

Either way, I'm unsure how often the same information needs to be repeated. To quote the wise @Yal:
Don't steal stuff and you should be fine.
So if you're stealing stuff, you can be sure that it's copyright infringement. Therefore, don't steal stuff. Or, alternatively, just don't make anything and you won't get in trouble with copyright.

Finally, to quote yourself...
thread closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.