• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Released Dunk Em Up [Ludum Dare 41 Winner]

L

lukbebalduke

Logo.png

A platformer where you beat enemies with a basketball and slam powerful dunks upon 'em! It was solo developed in 48 hours for Ludum Dare 41, where it ended up placing in the first position overall at the compo competition. The link in the description also includes the source code! It may be useful for those who want to take a look inside the project.

I also recently updated it on Itch io, along with that I decided to share this project with you, and I hope you enjoy it! :)

Untitled-4.png

[ITCH IO PAGE]

woodsmoke

Congratulations! I like the unconventional gameplay and the special effects. As a hobby basketballer I can confirm this is what it's like getting a baketball thrown into your face.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

The art is very nice for a game done in so little time. You should be proud. I know art doesn't define whether a game is good to most people, but I have reserved extra appreciation for it knowing how much talent and work goes into it.

JeffJ

God damn, well done! The presentation and level of polish is phenomenal!

As already mentioned, the visuals are beautiful, and all the small effects like particles, shockwave shader, bullet time, camera focus etc. are extremely nice icing on the cake.

Gameplay wise it's got that addictive "just one more go!" feeling to it. My own personal best after a few tries was a score 25635, combo 25 and 87 kills.

My only feedback if you plan to touch this again is to balance it out a bit. There are times where it simply feels like there is nothing you can do. Especially when you completely lose control of the ball on the final blow on some of the tougher mobs, and you have to chase it, while mobs are coming from the other side, since you can only really guard one side at a time. But balancing is always tricky. This could become one hell of a game! Hope you plan to work more on it. I think you've got something here.

L

lukbebalduke

Congratulations! I like the unconventional gameplay and the special effects. As a hobby basketballer I can confirm this is what it's like getting a baketball thrown into your face.
lol
Thank you very much for your support, I appreciate the comment!

Wow. Well done and deserved.
Thanks!

The art is very nice for a game done in so little time. You should be proud. I know art doesn't define whether a game is good to most people, but I have reserved extra appreciation for it knowing how much talent and work goes into it.
Thank you very much! I ended up 12th in Graphics rank, which is also an amazing placement. Through these past few years the area where I've got most improvement is probably game art, and my most recent ludum dare is even better in this aspect.

Congratulations!
Thanks!

God damn, well done! The presentation and level of polish is phenomenal!

As already mentioned, the visuals are beautiful, and all the small effects like particles, shockwave shader, bullet time, camera focus etc. are extremely nice icing on the cake.

Gameplay wise it's got that addictive "just one more go!" feeling to it. My own personal best after a few tries was a score 25635, combo 25 and 87 kills.

My only feedback if you plan to touch this again is to balance it out a bit. There are times where it simply feels like there is nothing you can do. Especially when you completely lose control of the ball on the final blow on some of the tougher mobs, and you have to chase it, while mobs are coming from the other side, since you can only really guard one side at a time. But balancing is always tricky. This could become one hell of a game! Hope you plan to work more on it. I think you've got something here.
Thank you very much for the feedback!

I've been trying to master the way I develop "game feel" into my games, and I guess DUNK EM UP is actually a great result - to go further, I would say that I exclusively reached the first place because of game feel.

The game still need some fixing, especially in the balance aspect and bug issues, but I do not intend to do any extra work on this one.

Also, my personal best is 50k score haha :D