• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Help Desk does not reply

H

Hannibal

I opened a ticket last week requesting help. There was a reply within a few hours requesting more information. I supplied those information within a couple of hours. But since then there was no response from them. The ticket has remained open for over a week but they did not reply. Is this unusual? What should I do next?

H

Hannibal

Is it something the community might be able to help with?
I was developing using GM1.4 for over a year now. I just bought the GM2 license during the winter sale and was trying to import the GM1.4 project into GM2.0 My first attempt to run the game compiled and run fine. In fact I even bought a new computer (not super high end) to run GM2.0, because I used an old computer to run GM1.4 with 2G memeory which doesn't run GM2.0 well.

Super happy, I decided to continue the project on GM2.0. Little did I know when I leave the computer alone for a little while, it starts sucking up memory like crazy. To the point where I cannot even type or scroll and the program was unresponsive. Later I found that GM2 would spontaneously check for syntax error and suddenly returns thousands such error and would not stop. Curiously those errors did not happen in GM1.4

In any case, these spontaneous checking of thousands of errors continuously may be causing the memory hog. So these are my questions.
1) Are these spontaneous syntax errors causing the massive memory hog that overwhelms my computer? Or perhaps there are other problems?
2) Is it possible to turn off spontaneous syntax error checking (and if possible to turn off spontaneous saves as well that would be great. I hate that feature as it slows down my work)?

These are the questions I need help on and any tip regarding project import from GM1.4 to GM2.0 would be greatly appreciated.

IGameArt

Can you list some of the errors that you're getting? You can disable automatic syntax checking if you go into the preferences, but it shouldn't consumer memory to check for errors like that. It's very likely that something else is causing the problem.

H

Hannibal

I can guess some of the errors but I cannot review the full list as GM2 becomes unresponsive, making scrolling impossible. I guess the first step is to disable the automatic syntax checking and auto saves. How can I do that? (Currently the help manual doesn't even display)

Chaser

Be sure to close things off in the 'workspace' tab, (close all but this) it's to easy to double click your sprites,objects,rooms, and forget there all opened up in the workspace Tab. At one point I had about 30 things all in there scattered around space and I didn't even notice, the more I worked on the slower my PC got and became more and more unresponsive. I don't have a high end PC either so I find that doing this, closing all but the one I'm working on makes a massive difference in performance and less likely to become unresponsive and unstable. Hope that helps.:)