• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Character size fluctuation a good idea?

I was wondering about how potentially frustrating/ distracting it might be for a main character to change sizes from about 3/4" to 3/8" on the screen depending on the environment... The viewing area of the monitor that I'm working with is 20 1/2" x 11 3/4". Would this drive you nuts?

Do you mean the environment changes scale and the player scaled with it or does the character just get bigger or smaller for some other reason?
If it's the first then I don't see an issue as long as you handle it well. Plenty of games already do some things like this, something like the Monkey Island games comes to mind.

rytan451

As long as it's consistent (zooming, or camera movement), or if it's predictable ("shrinking" thing that the character can do), I wouldn't mind.

Even some environments having a farther out zoom would be fine.

Just don't make it random.

As long as it's consistent (zooming, or camera movement), or if it's predictable ("shrinking" thing that the character can do), I wouldn't mind.

Even some environments having a farther out zoom would be fine.

Just don't make it random.
It wouldn't be random. Interior environments would be closer up and outside areas would be zoomed out.

Yeah that sounds fine, dude. Got any samples or anything? What kind of game is it by the way?
I don't really want to share any images until I'm ready to release —just selfconcious I guess... It's an action/adventure rpg. Given that there will be lots of close combat, I may reconsider doing the scale down...