• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Effects of draw_disable_drawevent() in Windows vs Mac/Linux

obscene

My game runs at 60 fps, but I allow frameskipping to allow less powerful machines to run it at 30 by disabling the draw event every other frame.

Code:
switch(frame_skip)
    {
    case 60: // No frameskipping
    draw_enable_drawevent(true);
    break;

case 30: // Skip every other frame
    frame = 1 - frame;
    draw_enable_drawevent(frame);
    break;       

case -1: // Auto on/off
    if (delta_time > 16667)
        {
        frame = 1 - frame;
        draw_enable_drawevent(frame);
        }
    else
        {
        frame=1;
        draw_enable_drawevent(true);
        }
    break;
    }
On PC, this works perfectly because GM allows the last drawn frame to remain on the screen during the previous step. See video...

The results on Linux are much different. When the draw event is disabled, it appears that the PREVIOUS frame is somehow drawn. See video...

Mac does something worse...

Not really sure if this is a bug I should file, or if this is expected behavior and perhaps there is a way I can work around this. Suggestions?

Last edited:
Z

Zep--

Why wouldn't you just set a toggle to game speed at 60 or 30 instead of all that code for frame skipping?

Z

Zep--

After watching the windows video a few times...It doesn't look like you are frame-skipping at all when you change to 30.

Everything ELSE besides the screen blit would continue to operate, and the movement wouldn't be smooth as it is at 60 and also 30, as you blit every other "frame".

At 30 it would cause the player to move doubly every other screen blit.

Or perhaps frameskipping is the wrong choice of words you picked.

obscene

It's definitely frameskipping. You have to enable 60fps on the video, and the process of capturing and converting to YouTube makes it harder to see, but believe me I've looked at it for 3 years... it skips frames.

Frameskipping is the right word. The step events continue to run at 60... only drawing is skipped.

The point of the discussion is what's going on with the back buffer and application_surface when drawing is disabled.

Z

Zep--

The point of the discussion is what's going on with the back buffer and application_surface when drawing is disabled.
Well, the documentation for that command says it can cause issues.

Perhaps the best course of action...is to say "tough luck" your computer sucks, if it lags, and forget all about the frameskipping. Or make it a windows-only toggle for the time being.

Game looks good, btw.

Z

Zep--

I wonder...Can you blit the whole screen to a surface before the skip and then blit that surface to the application surface after the skip?

Also, Isn't there also a command to stop the application surface from being drawn? I seem to recall reading about one. Maybe look into that. Or a combination of both.