OFFICIAL Updating Spine Sprites For GameMaker Studio 2.2.2

JeffJ

Yes! Finally! I'm sure this will please a bunch of us very much, myself included!

Also, thumbs up for letting people know up front about having to prepare their Spine sprites for this.

Awesome! Just in time for my game actually, lol.

I have the essentials of Spine but I plan on buying the Pro version in about 2 weeks.

Good job Yoyo. ;)

rIKmAN

Haaaaaaaal-le-lujah, hallelujah, hallelujah!!!!

When the update to 3.7 is released - PLEASE keep on top of the incremental runtime updates going forward so that it doesn't become a massive job each time to update.

Please don't leave us waiting another 2yrs before the Spine runtime is looked at again like we have had to this time.

Thank you for finally getting it done, this is great news and much appreciated!

As a side note, I just checked Mantis and it seems like 99% of the logged Spine bugs have been fixed in preperation for this update, which is brilliant!

Quick questions @rmanthorp:
1) Is the "Shear" key now supported, and if not is there any chance of support in a future update or is there some technical issue that means GMS2 can't support it?

2) Are we still limited to 1 texture atlas per skeleton, and if so any chance of multi-atlas support in a future update? (I submitted this as a suggestion a while ago but can't find it on Mantis anymore)

Last edited:

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Quick questions @rmanthorp:
1) Is the "Shear" key now supported, and if not is there any chance of support in a future update or is there some technical issue that means GMS2 can't support it?

2) Are we still limited to 1 texture atlas per skeleton, and if so any chance of multi-atlas support in a future update? (I submitted this as a suggestion a while ago but can't find it on Mantis anymore)
Both are being investigated as we move towards 2.2.2 :) Hoping we can support both.

K

KatoneVi

Two questions:
1. When is v2.2.2 released? Expected time??

2. Will the new release be compatible with Spine's Transform Constraint?

Thanks

Xephire

Spine 3.7 has phased out of beta on January 4 and has released an official launcher version 3.7.81. They have already made a move to incremental updates (3.7.83 as of today) for bug fixes, but will we be expected to use a specific version for a long time after GameMaker Studio 2.2.2 releases? I already have several assets prepared, but I would like to know which version to stick with to avoid issues with being unable to rollback to a specific version of Spine.

T

TitanAnteus

Both are being investigated as we move towards 2.2.2 :) Hoping we can support both.
Also this is still a problem.
Gamemaker only interpolates at the default game speed.
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...only-intepolates-at-default-anim-speed.15446/

This makes slow motion quite a bit of a hassle to make look nice. It'd be appreciated if this was fixed. I don't think it's much work to fix either.

Basically at lower than 1 image speed skeletal animations no longer interpolate?

rIKmAN

Also this is still a problem.
Gamemaker only interpolates at the default game speed.
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...only-intepolates-at-default-anim-speed.15446/

This makes slow motion quite a bit of a hassle to make look nice. It'd be appreciated if this was fixed. I don't think it's much work to fix either.

Basically at lower than 1 image speed skeletal animations no longer interpolate?
Report this as a bug with a sample project showing the issue.

There has been a lot of Spine fixes done recently which I assume are part of the runtime update to 3.7 so any valid bugs reported during this time are more likely to be fixed quickly while the update is being actively worked on.

T

TitanAnteus

Report this as a bug with a sample project showing the issue.

There has been a lot of Spine fixes done recently which I assume are part of the runtime update to 3.7 so any valid bugs reported during this time are more likely to be fixed quickly while the update is being actively worked on.
Well... i tried.
I hope it gets handled, because I definitely want slowmotion in my game somehow.

rIKmAN

Well... i tried.
I hope it gets handled, because I definitely want slowmotion in my game somehow.
I actually just thought about what you said and unless I've misunderstood you then there must be an issue with your code as you can already play Spine animations in slow motion without any problems.

I do this in a tool I wrote to use with my Spine extension which allows you to speed up / slow down animations using a slider to make colouring them using the tool easier.

Here's a gif of it using the default Spineboy skeleton.

You can grab the tool for free from my itch.io page and load in your skeleton to test the various features - you can see if your skeleton works properly with the animation speed slider.

-----

On a side note:
@rmanthorp Are the features listed in the Spine 3.7 Release Article going to make it into the GMS2 3.7 runtime update?

Mainly the Stretchy, compressed and uniform IK and the Runtime improvements (especially the track functionality improvements as track manipulation is lacking in GMS2).

Audio event support would be nice but I can see why that might not work too well with the way GMS handles sounds, and it could be worked around by using regular events.

It makes sense that they would with it being an update to 3.7, but any clarification would be appreciated as they aren't mentioned on the YYG Blog about the 3.7 update.

Last edited:

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
@rmanthorp Are the features listed in the Spine 3.7 Release Article going to make it into the GMS2 3.7 runtime update?
We have updated to the 3.7 runtimes so anything that comes from that directly will be supported (but without examples of the various features it is difficult to tell, we are no Spine use experts here, so help in testing them is the reason we have the Beta).

The audio in Spine is IDE side only though we do support Events in any case that can be used for runtime animation / audio synchronisation.
Not sure on the track functionality though again during Beta we can discuss more.

JeffJ

I was reading Esoteric's 3.7 announcement just the other day, and I too was wondering if it would make it into GMS2.

Reading the post above is fantastic news!

rIKmAN

We have updated to the 3.7 runtimes so anything that comes from that directly will be supported (but without examples of the various features it is difficult to tell, we are no Spine use experts here, so help in testing them is the reason we have the Beta).

The audio in Spine is IDE side only though we do support Events in any case that can be used for runtime animation / audio synchronisation.
Not sure on the track functionality though again during Beta we can discuss more.
I'm pretty sure the Spine guys will supply skeletons with the 3.7 download that use the new features like the stretchy squashy IK and new track functionality, I haven't checked but they have for all previous releases with new features so I would assume the same for 3.7.

Any chance you could ask around specifically about the new IK stuff in 3.7?
It would be a bit of a nightmare to have stuff animated in preperation of using it only to then find out it isn't supported and have to get everything redone even though Spine and GMS both use the 3.7 runtimes.

Do you mean the general beta runtime feed, or do I need to sign up for something specific to help test the new Spine stuff?

@Jeff:
We are also hopefully getting multiple texture page support, which is massive for me and anyone else not wanting to make low res pixel art games!
Finally the ugly ginger kids that use Spine are getting some love! :D

Last edited:

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Any chance you could ask around specifically about the new IK stuff in 3.7?
Do you mean the general beta runtime feed, or do I need to sign up for something specific to help test the new Spine stuff?
Will prod the team again. Oh and just the beta feed, no need to do anything extra at the moment :)

JeffJ

@Jeff:
We are also hopefully getting multiple texture page support, which is massive for me and anyone else not wanting to make low res pixel art games!
Finally the ugly ginger kids that use Spine are getting some love! :D
I saw that! That is yet another Spine feature I've been wishing for for several years - I actually didn't think we would ever get that one. But that is awesome! Spine is a fantastic tool, and I am very happy that the GMS side of it is finally getting some much needed love!

T

TitanAnteus

You can grab the tool for free from my itch.io page and load in your skeleton to test the various features - you can see if your skeleton works properly with the animation speed slider.
At the speed of .1 it stops interpolating. That's kind of the level of slowmotion I was going for. So there's a lower limit even in Spine is what you're telling me? I mean... imo even at .001 it should still be interpolating. Just like 3D animation does.

rIKmAN

At the speed of .1 it stops interpolating. That's kind of the level of slowmotion I was going for. So there's a lower limit even in Spine is what you're telling me? I mean... imo even at .001 it should still be interpolating. Just like 3D animation does.
Using the goblin.json in the examples folder of the tool and changing the animation slider down to 0.1 does not stop animating or interpolating and works as I would expect.

I didn't need to go any lower than 0.1x but I see no reason why it wouldn't work at those speeds if I changed it to include that range.

If you wanted to PM me and send me your skeleton I'd be happy to take a look.

Will we still have to set the translate, rotate, and resize at the beginning and end of each bone for when we animate or will this be fixed?

Awesome! I am seriously hoping for that to be fixed along with multiple texture page files. I am having a huge issue right now with my images in Spine being too big which results in multiple texture pages being created, which, right now GMS2 doesn't support.

JeffJ

Awesome! I am seriously hoping for that to be fixed along with multiple texture page files. I am having a huge issue right now with my images in Spine being too big which results in multiple texture pages being created, which, right now GMS2 doesn't support.
If it doesn't, make sure to report it as quickly as possible, while the release is still fresh (when it arrives, obviously). Now that YYG are finally pushing out this update, we (all Spine users) need to come together and do one hell of a solid test round to make sure we sweep up everything YYG might miss. So be sure to test like crazy and report everything as soon as you can when it's out! :)