• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Incredibly long compile and load times

X

Xinera

Every time i start mygame in Game Maker 1.4999 the compile takes ages (about 50 seconds or more) but shows no sign of error in the compile form. I don't know what to do and it is very annoying when testing my game out. Worthy to note is that i only have 5 objects and one room aswell.

This is where the compileform gets stuck for around 50 seconds:
Reading project file....finished.
Compile Constants...finished.
Remove DnD...finished.
Compile Scripts...finished.
Compile Objects...finished.
Compile Timelines...finished.
Compile Triggers...finished.
Compile Rooms...finished.
Compile Extensions...finished.
Global scripts...finished.
Final Compile...finished.
Saving IFF file... C:\Users\-----\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_13316\gm_ttt_36546\MMORPG.win
Writing Chunk... GEN8
Writing Chunk... OPTN
Writing Chunk... LANG
Writing Chunk... EXTN
Writing Chunk... SOND
Writing Chunk... AGRP
Writing Chunk... SPRT
Writing Chunk... BGND
Writing Chunk... PATH
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... GLOB
Writing Chunk... SHDR
Writing Chunk... FONT
Writing Chunk... TMLN
Writing Chunk... OBJT
Writing Chunk... ROOM
Writing Chunk... DAFL
Writing Chunk... TPAGE
Texture Group - Default
Writing Chunk... CODE
Writing Chunk... VARI
Writing Chunk... FUNC
Writing Chunk... STRG
Writing Chunk... TXTR
0 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_0.png...
Writing Chunk... AUDO
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... DBGI
Writing Chunk... INST
Writing Chunk... LOCL
Writing Chunk... STRG
Stats : GMA : Elapsed=1097,082
Stats : GMA : sp=3,au=0,bk=0,pt=0,sc=0,sh=0,fo=0,tl=0,ob=5,ro=1,da=0,ex=0,ma=14,fm=0x200448080020
Asset Compile finished: 01:24:02
-----------------------------------------------------------
executing C:\Users\-----AppData\Local\gm_ttt_13316\gm_ttt_36546\MMORPG.win
-----------------------------------------------------------
"C:\Users\-----\AppData\Roaming\GameMaker-Studio\Runner.exe" -game "C:\Users\-------AppData\Local\gm_ttt_13316\gm_ttt_36546\MMORPG.win"

Kenshiro

Same problem here. When you press the button to compile, it shows only 2 lines in the console and then it stays there for a long time before it continues to compile.
Cleaning cache didn't help.

rIKmAN

Do you have any antivirus or similar software protection software that may be scanning the directories that GMS creates when compiling?

If so, add the containing folder to the whitelist so it ignores it.

S

SamSam

Empirically, I had this experience with the software I am currently working on and which involves a lot of sounds and musics. At the early stage of the development, there were 16 musics included into the project and the compilation was around 1 minute long.
Now, the musics are not included into the project, and the compilation time is about 7 seconds.

EDIT : not sure if it is "the compilation" or "the compile" in English

X

Xinera

Do you have any antivirus or similar software protection software that may be scanning the directories that GMS creates when compiling?

I added both the folder in Documents and the installation folder to the antivirus whitelist but it didn't seem to help unfortunately :/ There aren't any other folders i can whitelist right?

X

Xinera

Empirically, I had this experience with the software I am currently working on and which involves a lot of sounds and musics. At the early stage of the development, there were 16 musics included into the project and the compilation was around 1 minute long.
Now, the musics are not included into the project, and the compilation time is about 7 seconds.

I don't have any sound files in my game at all so i don't think this is the problem, it hasn't always been like this either a while back my compile times were like 6 seconds long and then they just became super long out of nowhere.

rIKmAN

I added both the folder in Documents and the installation folder to the antivirus whitelist but it didn't seem to help unfortunately :/ There aren't any other folders i can whitelist right?
There will be a folder in %AppData% which is where GMS2 will be compiling projects each time you run from the IDE.

A quicker way to test if it is the issue will be to just disable your AV completely, reboot and run a few test projects from the IDE to see if there is any improvement.

Also test a range of projects to make sure it isn’t just that specific project causing issues, including an empty room project.

Kenshiro

For me, this happens even with all AV software disabled.

Happens even on empty games.
I have the impression that compiling isn't what takes long, but that the IDE idles for some time before starting to compile. No idea why.

SnoutUp

Check if it's enabled and disable "Backup on run/debug/create" in GM settings. If you have an option to do so, move projects to SSD.

Joe Ellis

When compile is slow, I think it's cus you're computer is slow, I used to work on my dad's laptop and it took about a whole minute to compile, and it really takes the pizz when you're testing things every minute, just get a better computer, you're target audience have

X

Xinera

When compile is slow, I think it's cus you're computer is slow, I used to work on my dad's laptop and it took about a whole minute to compile, and it really takes the pizz when you're testing things every minute, just get a better computer, you're target audience have
I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 and an i7 4770K i think it should be fine

X

Xinera

In the target dropdown at the top right of the IDE where you choose what platform you are compiling to.
I was using the Steam Workshop option but i get the same problem when using Windows, from what i read YYC is slower so i didn't test that.

rIKmAN

I was using the Steam Workshop option but i get the same problem when using Windows, from what i read YYC is slower so i didn't test that.
If you create a fresh empty project and try to compile using Windows as the target (not Windows YYC) - does it still take a long time?

X

Xinera

If you create a fresh empty project and try to compile using Windows as the target (not Windows YYC) - does it still take a long time?
Yeah it's slow on empty project too, the compile was fast yesterday morning but now it's slow again.

MeBoingus

Hi there, I've had a similar problem in the past, but I see you've already tried the solution I used (Disabled antivirus to test, whitelisted everything GM-related when I found that was the issue).

Here are some possible solutions:

Run a few virus scans. I know this sounds generic, but it often times can and will help.
Run sfc /scannow via an elevated CMD prompt.
Try switching a few things around in your GM settings and seeing which settings (if any) produce the best result. This includes your game settings, as well.

Let me know if any of that helps.