• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE GMS2 creating virtual partitions and taking over 30 minute to run my game...

L

LamePower448

as the title suggests, I have the latest version of game maker studio 2 desktop installed and I have been working on a little project for over 23 days, during that time, when I did press 'run' the game took 1 second the compile and run, but now, game maker decided it's a good idea to start creating virtual X, Y, Z partitions and take over 30 f----ing minutes to run the game! I tried deleting and re-installing it, I tried clearing cache and doing everything but there's no solution!

I hope that someone can help me as soon as possible as I'm nearing a deadline and this project is very important!

thanks.

Not sure about why it is taking so long to run, but GMS2 has almost always created virtual drives that are mapped to the project folder. This was to get around the folder name length restrictions in Windows.
Have you checked that you are running as admin, or that your antivirus is not trying to scan as you are building? Is there a particular entry in the compile output that it seems to get stuck on for a while which might indicate the area that is causing the slowdown?

L

LamePower448

Not sure about why it is taking so long to run, but GMS2 has almost always created virtual drives that are mapped to the project folder. This was to get around the folder name length restrictions in Windows.
Have you checked that you are running as admin, or that your antivirus is not trying to scan as you are building? Is there a particular entry in the compile output that it seems to get stuck on for a while which might indicate the area that is causing the slowdown?
I did check that I'm running as an administrator and I have tried running game maker studio 2 on another PC with 3 different projects to make sure that the problem isn't related to my PC or my project and it still happens! This is really really annoying!

L

LamePower448

I have tested again with my project...

the IDE takes 3 seconds to compile the code and everything the game takes over 15 minutes now to run

the same happens with a fresh project with nothing at all except for 1 room.

any help, please!

Also, I tried running with different runtimes and different PCs and still the same problem persists!

bump...

Mod edit: Multiple back-to-back posts merged. Please show courtesy to other members and avoid bumping your topic this way.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LamePower448

After further investigation, I found that it was 360 anti-virus that was causing game maker and the entire operating system to slow down to a halt due to it always running in the background and doing scans on all I/O operations.

also, windows updates were slowing it too because they were always downloading and getting 'cleaned' by that program (360 security) so the OS had to re-download them over and over.

UNINSTALL any anti-virus you have and make sure your OS is updated to the latest versions.

hope this helps anyone who happens to have this problem in the future.

L

LamePower448

Which was why I mentioned in my first response to check if your antivirus was scanning while you were attempting to build. :)
Not only it slowed game maker, but it also prevented the search in the start menu from displaying or finding any results!!

Last edited by a moderator: