• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE [SOLVED] Does anybody know what this error is and how to fix it?

I lost two days worth of work because of this error. I don't know what it is or how to fix it? It occurs on build.

Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
   at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, PixelFormat format)
   at GMAssetCompiler.TexturePage.(Bitmap , Int32 , Int32 )
   at GMAssetCompiler.TexturePage.(Bitmap , Boolean , Boolean , Boolean , Boolean , String , Int32 , String )
   at GMAssetCompiler.TexturePage.(String , Boolean , Boolean , Bitmap , Boolean , Boolean , Int32 , String )
   at GMAssetCompiler.TexturePage.(String , Boolean , Boolean , String , Boolean , Boolean , Int32 , String )
   at GMAssetCompiler.TexturePage.(String , Boolean , Boolean , Boolean , Boolean , Int32 , String , String , String[] )
   at GMAssetCompiler.WADSaver`1.<>c.(KeyValuePair`2 )
   at GMAssetCompiler.Program..(Object )
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
EXCEPTION FILE - C:\Users\ted_g\AppData\Local\Temp\c92f4669cde244729b40e7faebf80dfa.yyg.saencryptedreport

Unhandled Exception: System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.
   at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, PixelFormat format)
   at GMAssetCompiler.TexturePage.(Bitmap , Int32 , Int32 )
   at GMAssetCompiler.TexturePage.(Bitmap , Boolean , Boolean , Boolean , Boolean , String , Int32 , String )
   at GMAssetCompiler.TexturePage.(String , Boolean , Boolean , Bitmap , Boolean , Boolean , Int32 , String )
   at GMAssetCompiler.TexturePage.(String , Boolean , Boolean , String , Boolean , Boolean , Int32 , String )
   at GMAssetCompiler.TexturePage.(String , Boolean , Boolean , Boolean , Boolean , Int32 , String , String , String[] )
   at GMAssetCompiler.WADSaver`1.<>c.(KeyValuePair`2 )
   at GMAssetCompiler.Program..(Object )
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe exited with non-zero status (-532462766)
elapsed time 00:00:53.2243413s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.1.287/bin/Igor.exe" -options="C:\Users\ted_g\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff"  -- Windows Run started at 01/01/2019 23:24:53
"cmd"  /c subst Z: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.1077128s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 01/01/2019 23:25:46
"cmd"  /c subst Y: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.1007582s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: /d started at 01/01/2019 23:25:46
"cmd"  /c subst X: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.1057911s for command "cmd" /c subst X: /d started at 01/01/2019 23:25:46
FAILED: Run Program Complete

rIKmAN

This ticket has been open since December 17th. This is unacceptable.
Are you just venting or are you expecting forum members to be able to do something about an open ticket you have wth support?

Bear in mind companies close over Xmas and New Year so there is more than likely a backlog, and if it’s so unacceptable to you let them know and start testing out other engines with support response times that are acceptable to you.

It’s improved recently but quick response times aren’t something YYG are known for, some of us have had tickets open for months before getting a reply.

I would love to have some sort of response from yoyogames or from this forum. This exception has put us behind in development by over a month. So yes, when I pay $400 for a program I expect it to work. And I'm not going to switch engines when I
have over a year in development work done. That's just stupid. I did let them know that It is unacceptable. And I'm doing it again. And with this situation I have every right to be mad.

rIKmAN

I would love to have some sort of response from yoyogames or from this forum. This exception has put us behind in development by over a month. So yes, when I pay $400 for a program I expect it to work. And I'm not going to switch engines when I
have over a year in development work done. That's just stupid. I did let them know that It is unacceptable. And I'm doing it again.
We all paid for the software, it doesn’t mean you get bumped to the front of whatever support backlog they have or get special treatment because you bought a licence. I’m not sure why you feel so entitled?

It’s been the holidays, and I have friends that are still on holiday from work and have not returned yet so maybe YYG are the same or have just got back in?

Be reasonable, update your ticket and express your dissatisfaction, and as it obviously isn’t unacceptable to you then all you can do is wait for a response.

You’ve also already had another thread closed by a mod / staff member and told to wait for a response to your ticket, so bumping this thread for the same issue is pointless.

Seeing as your issue seems related to texture pages, have you tried all the obvious things to try and fix it?

ie. Cleaning the project cache, texture page settings, save as a new project, uninstall/reinstall etc?

Last edited:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Given that this particular function call looks like an image resize, I would suspect that either the compile cache or one of the in-project images have gone bad. You should try the following:
  • Make sure that a one-sprite blank project builds properly.
  • Clean the compile cache, restart GMS and retry.
  • Export as YYZ, then re-import and retry.
  • Make sure that all images in the project are smaller than the texture page size (this is one of several sources that would call a resize).
  • Look elsewhere on the error messages for resources that have gone missing.
  • Check the error messages for specific sprite or tile names. On a copy of the project, replace the named sprites with 1x1 and see if that compiles. If it compiles, redo the affected sprites.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
See: Texture Pages
Should you have a texture in your game that is larger than the texture page size, this image will be automatically scaled down by GameMaker Studio 2 to make it fit within the texture page. This means that when you test your game on Windows, Ubuntu (Linux) or MacOS the game may look fine as you are using larger texture pages, but on iOS (or any of the other targets that require a smaller texture page size for optimal performance) the texture may look blurred or have artefacts. It is essential that you make sure your images are all able to fit on the smallest of the texture page sizes that your game will use, and if not then you should split them into smaller images and then draw them together in your game to give the illusion of one large, complete, image.
The configuration set for each export contains an option for the texture page size under a "Graphics" heading. This is always a power-of-2 square size.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
@FrostyCat I'm not sure I'm cleaning the compile cache correctly. Is it under Preferences -> General -> Paths?
No, I'm talking about the broomstick icon that comes after the Stop button, or Ctrl+F7.
What is a configuration set? What do you mean by export? Like exporting to yyz?
If you expand Options in your resource tree, you should see all the export platforms available in your license (e.g. Windows, Mac, etc.). Double-click any of them, select the Graphics heading, and there should be a Texture Page Size dropdown there. Each export platform has its own setting for this.

Ok. So I set the Texture Page to 8192X8192 to be safe but I still have the same two exceptions. I'm thinking something else is going on. Also, I don't have any images that are bigger than 4k

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Given your other topic, I'm pretty sure you have a project corruption issue at this point. The exception is likely coming from a failed attempt to read some image resource (e.g. sprite, tile set, splash image, icon, etc.) that got broken off when the corresponding view YY file disappeared.

You may have better luck working with an older backup, or exporting and then re-importing, or using a project merge tool like this to bring your resources to a blank new project.

rIKmAN

@FrostyCat Nope. Its fixed. I had an image that was 12000 instead of 1200. Face-plant
All that time wasted and blaming the software / YYG and it turns out to be user error from fat fingering the keyboard

Some might say that is unacceptable... ;)

It’s always good practice to check, double check, triple check etc your project to catch things like this, and also for future reference if you have checked / tested your code thoroughly and think you may have encountered an actual bug you can browse/search on Mantis to cross reference for anything that has already been logged by support but may not have been fixed or released in an update just yet.

https://bugs.yoyogames.com/main_page.php

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Well @rlKmAN its not like you were any help. You did nothing but criticized. But thanks for the Mantis link.
I criticised your attitude, which given the cause of your error was warranted.
There are ways to go about things, and going in guns blazing before checking it isn’t an error on your part isn’t it as you just end up looking silly.

You’re welcome for the link, it’s saved me from thinking I was going mad a few times when I see a bug report related to an issue I was having has already been logged. Doesn’t make the wait for a fix in the next update easier though...

Joe Ellis

Wow, (well, who looks a **** now?) sorry but a mistake like that on your part and then kicking off cus yyg didnt reply and turns out to be your own error needs some kind of ridicule
Its not like I look for people making mistakes, but most of time the program hasnt gone wrong, you have (including me) I'm saying dont be too quick to blame it on the software

But at the same time, I think yyg (Yoyo Games) are effing wink ;) and their slow response to your ticket is very bad, I always wonder what they do all day at the yoyo studios, it seems like they're not very good, I don't know though

I think they just bought the program off mark overmars in a money making idea, and they have improved it, probably in ways that are well known code, but I don't think there's any geniuses working on it, mark overmars definitely was cus he made it by himself, but I think yyg just use code to improve it now and keep the revenue coming

Last edited:
I admit I went a little overboard but it that long of a lag for a ticket is sort of unprofessional. I know if a customer for my work waited that long for a ticket to be resolved they'd be furious.
Anyway, its all resolved now.