• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GM2 Discounted - Time to buy it?

Raoul

Hi,
I am quite new to GM and GML. A Couple years ago I downloaded and tried GM Studio 1.4 but at that time I did not go much further with any game development.

A few weeks ago I run it again and started programming a game from scratch, actually I reprogrammed the original Donkey Kong and I must admit I am quite pleased with the results.

1.4 has pretty much all what I needed but I understand it has been discontinued.
I am now tempted to puchase MK2 but I wonder if it makes sense given that my scope is just to do some free time programming and 'simulate' the good old arcade games.

I am looking for your input to understand what would be the benefit of moving to the new GM2, I am a somehow afraid I could find the new environment not so familiar as I now feel with 1.4

What were your reasons to move to GM2?
3 points you would mention as good reasons to puchase it?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Raoul

Hi Toque, thanks for your feedback.

I had already gone added the developer desktop (79$) to the basked when I noticed the Web edition.
I am not familiar with HTML5 at all, but would that version compile the same stuff in a way that can be played via a browser?
Would it work with pretty much all games (not cpu intensive) or limitations are to be considered?

Thanks again!

Toque

I don’t have the html so I couldn’t say. I know it has a few issues. Someone that has it should be able to comment.

Mert

Buying them on Steam is a lot cheaper than buying from Yoyogames' website, at least for me.

M

Maigal

Hi Toque, thanks for your feedback.

I had already gone added the developer desktop (79$) to the basked when I noticed the Web edition.
I am not familiar with HTML5 at all, but would that version compile the same stuff in a way that can be played via a browser?
Would it work with pretty much all games (not cpu intensive) or limitations are to be considered?

Thanks again!
Yes, that's what the HTML5 export does.
However be warned that some stuff will work differently and will require workarounds in some situations, although it's worth it in my opinion

RizbIT

I wanted to ask is there a scheduled release date for GMS 3.x its just i dint want to upgrade to 2.0 if i will then have to spend again for 3.0 in a few months.

I and am sure others dont think its fair on small and independent developers to have to spend another few hundred dollars everytime GMS changes its gui. With other software like even windows you get free or cheap upgrades...and even if you dont want to or cant afford to upgrade you can still carry on using the old version, old windows etc... you cant do that with GMS as support for it has ended

Dog Slobber

There has been no hint of of a GMS 3, I doubt there will be for a very long time.

Studio ws released in 2012 and was fully supported until 2018, over 6 years. Anybody complaining about having "to spend another few hundred dollars everytime GMS changes its GUI", is being unreasonable. Comparing the business model for Studio, which is YoYo Games only product to Microsoft is silly and not relavant.

Coded Games

I think it's a good time to buy GMS2, it's currently the most stable it's ever been and all we've heard of is updates that are coming in the future; such as the sequences update. I doubt GMS3 is coming anytime soon.

Amon

Buy It. You won't regret it. At those discounted prices it'll be the best game making purchase you ever make.

RizbIT

i will keep eye out for next sale maybe. but tbh i hate having to get use to a new user interace and then finding out features and functions im use to dont work or exist now. how much difficult is it to use compared to GMS 1.4

rIKmAN

i will keep eye out for next sale maybe. but tbh i hate having to get use to a new user interace and then finding out features and functions im use to dont work or exist now. how much difficult is it to use compared to GMS 1.4
Download the trial and try it.

Dan1

I was really sceptical of upgrading to GMS 2 initially - it was only after I spoke with Chris Trewartha at EGX and reassured myself with that video from Shaun Spalding that I was tempted in to trying it.

I thought, once I'm ready to start a new project, I'll give it a go with GMS 2 - I found, after a lot of playing around, I now do prefer using it and then, when it went on sale last month, I bought it.

I would say for sure it's worth getting the feel for it first because this is clearly the direction GMS is going so it would benefit to get used to it and then, when you see it on sale, nab it up.

I mean you never really have to upgrade, of course, but you can also still continue using Windows 98 - y'know, eventually you'll just get to a point where, if you wanna do anything, you'll need to upgrade.

But like I said, try first, get a feel for it, then go from there :)