OFFICIAL Space Mods: Holiday Community Competition [FINISHED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
We are excited to announce our holiday community GameMaker developer challenge, the Space Mods Competition. Following our GMS2 tutorial, 'Space Rocks' we are asking you to create a recognisable modification of Space Rocks. Open to anyone aged 16 or over, our Space Mods Competition tasks developers to modify and improve upon the Space Rocks game created in the tutorial using any version of GameMaker Studio 2. The winner will be the best overall game meeting the criteria, as decided by the YoYo Games judging panel.

The winner will be given the choice of selecting a GMS2 licence from Desktop, Mobile, UWP, Web, as well as the game being featured on the GameMaker Showcase! All entries should be submitted by midnight on 2nd January 2019 UTC. We will be monitoring social media and we hope you share your progress and finished games with the hashtag #GMSpaceMods on social media so that we can share them with everyone!

We also encourage our GMC members to share progress on this thread! Can't wait to see what you make!

FULL DETAILS: https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/494/space-mods-holiday-community-competition

TheSpydog

I noticed that Section 1 of the T&C requires that the game have a "winter theme", but that's not mentioned elsewhere in the blog post. Is that actually a requirement?

R

Raul Rivera

So looking forward to this, especially because after watching the tutorial, I started iterating and improving upon the base game - giving it my own spin.

I am wondering about the "winter theme" and have the same questions as the above user.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
I noticed that Section 1 of the T&C requires that the game have a "winter theme", but that's not mentioned elsewhere in the blog post. Is that actually a requirement?
AHAA! That was a holdover from when we originally thought we'd have a winter theme but we wanted to keep it broad. I'll get that changed, thanks!

EDIT: In my humble opinion winter themes are nice tho' but not a requirement :)

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Ross: is there a .yyp project file you want participants to start with? Or should participants just recreate the "style" of the tutorial in a fresh project file?

D

Danoum

Hi!
I am interested in the competition. I wanted to download the tutorial from the marketplace to see what the the game looks like, but it says "You need a paid GameMaker Studio 2 licence in order to have access to this asset". I only have GMS2 free Trial. The competition rules say "Must be made in GMS2 with any licence (including the free Trial)". Could someone make the download accessible for non-owners, thank you.

I may buy GMS2 sooner or later but couldn't afford it yet (I own GMS1 Master Collection).

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Ross: is there a .yyp project file you want participants to start with? Or should participants just recreate the "style" of the tutorial in a fresh project file?
I'm expecting both fresh .yyp files from projects that have created the tutorial via youtube videos and also those who have downloaded the project via the IDE. I won't be strict on the type of .yyp file

Hi!
I am interested in the competition. I wanted to download the tutorial from the marketplace to see what the the game looks like, but it says "You need a paid GameMaker Studio 2 licence in order to have access to this asset". I only have GMS2 free Trial. The competition rules say "Must be made in GMS2 with any licence (including the free Trial)". Could someone make the download accessible for non-owners, thank you.

I may buy GMS2 sooner or later but couldn't afford it yet (I own GMS1 Master Collection).
Hi, you should be able to access the tutorial from within the GMS2 IDE even with a trial account. Please let me know if this isn't the case for you.

D

Danoum

Hi, you should be able to access the tutorial from within the GMS2 IDE even with a trial account. Please let me know if this isn't the case for you.
Thanks, I was able to access the tutorial fom within GMS2 trial :)

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
...also those who have downloaded the project via the IDE.
(emphasis mine)

Forgive my ignorance about YYG tutorials, but how is this done? I can get the .yymp tutorial file from the Marketplace, but there's no .yyp project file associated with it (far as I can tell). Just a tutorial running in the IDE side panel.

Not a big deal. The tutorial is quite thorough and complete. So it won't be difficult to create a new .yyp project with all those features, to use as a starting point.

Either way, the competition sounds fun. Not sure I have time to enter, but I'll be eager to see what other users do with this. It's a fun idea for a comp.

HayManMarc

I might have to join in on this. We'll see how Father Time treats me. :)

Edit: turns out I had zero time for this. :(

Last edited:

Ladi_Pix3l

There might be a typo in the written tutorial. . maybe. . I might be reading this wrong.
In Chapter 4: Final Touches it reads...
Open the object "obj_ship" now, and add an Alarm 1 event to it:
I think it was actually referring back to the "obj_game" object because we never created a alarm 1 event.

After it says:
To set this alarm, we need to open the object "obj_ship" again, and in the collision event with the object "obj_asteroid" add the following code:
I might be wrong though

T

Taddio

@rmanthorp
Is there somewhere I could get a zipped project file of that? I'm using the free version as well and it's on my music production computer, which is not (and will not be) connected to the internet.
That'd make the holidays even better :)
Thanks

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
There might be a typo in the written tutorial. . maybe. . I might be reading this wrong.
In Chapter 4: Final Touches it reads...

I think it was actually referring back to the "obj_game" object because we never created a alarm 1 event.

After it says:

I might be wrong though
I'll take a look at this thanks!

@rmanthorp
Is there somewhere I could get a zipped project file of that? I'm using the free version as well and it's on my music production computer, which is not (and will not be) connected to the internet.
That'd make the holidays even better :)
Thanks
If you download the project now via the tutorial page in GMS2 it will work offline :)

T

Taddio

If you download the project now via the tutorial page in GMS2 it will work offline :)
[\Quote]
Yeah, but the computer GM:S is on does NOT go to the internet, I doubt if I add the tutorial on my account via my tablet it will appear on that machine!
Nonetheless, I tried and can't even add the tutorial to the account, it says

You need a paid version of GMS to dowbload this asset

That's odd

Last edited by a moderator:

Toque

It only took me an hour to watch videos and get the basic code to of the game. Download isn’t critical.

T

Taddio

I got it solved, thanks!
And there's definately a typo in the alarm event in the tutorial.
I'll go keep working on my mod! :p

J

JStuckey

I may have flooded the Community email inbox with my submission. I forgot to add the "agree" and it was a resubmission. Also, does the subject of the email matter? I didn't realize that the submit button auto fills everything in and I copied the email address instead.

The holidays this year has me all kinds of messed up.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
I may have flooded the Community email inbox with my submission. I forgot to add the "agree" and it was a resubmission. Also, does the subject of the email matter? I didn't realize that the submit button auto fills everything in and I copied the email address instead.

The holidays this year has me all kinds of messed up.
No worries! Subject is not important as long as you have the agree text in the body :)

jonjons

heee... the file is too large to send has an attachement.... iam using windows 10 mail
Is is ok if i upload it to the google drive? then you guys can send me a confirmation that youve received ?
[edit] uploaded to google drive and send the link on the email

Last edited:
H

Homunculus

I submitted the worst coded game EVER, unfortunately I got sick and had to rush-finish the game at the last minute (it's almost like a 24 hours challenge :confused:). The best part is that I even submitted the wrong build (please, be kind, consider my second email).

Well, what's done is done, better than nothing I guess. I still had great fun, hope we'll see more competitions like this one in the future.

A couple of shameful screens:

jonjons

Ive sent my game via google drive, ive attached the link on the email with 33mb the file can NOT be sent by email. Its now 23:45 and still no answer on this subject, i dont know if my game is going to be part of the competition, because of this... ?! i though this was a competition not an opportunity for someone to make some Phubbing

Last edited:
L

Lonewolff

Hi!

Submitted mine. Some really good looking entries on Twitter.

T

Taddio

I submitted the worst coded game EVER, unfortunately I got sick and had to rush-finish the game at the last minute (it's almost like a 24 hours challenge :confused:). The best part is that I even submitted the wrong build (please, be kind, consider my second email).

Well, what's done is done, better than nothing I guess. I still had great fun, hope we'll see more competitions like this one in the future.

A couple of shameful screens:

The shadows looks cool, bro

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Ive sent my game via google drive, ive attached the link on the email with 33mb the file can NOT be sent by email. Its now 23:45 and still no answer on this subject, i dont know if my game is going to be part of the competition, because of this... ?! i though this was a competition not an opportunity for someone to make some Phubbing
Hey there, starting to look through the submissions now - I'll let you know if I've gotten this one - but don't worry - I'll make sure you are included :)

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Some of these entries are looking great as well! Enjoying looking here as well: https://twitter.com/hashtag/GMSpaceMods

We have 70+ entries in via email which is amazing. It may take us a little while longer to fully judge everything but we also might add more prizes and try to get something together that can show off a lot of the entries (like a video :) )

Last edited:
R

Raul Rivera

I had to submit mine through a Google Drive link as well, hope it all came through OK. My game is Astroid Runner.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Hey, yeah I got the above! Due to the volume of submissions (and how good they are) we are looking into awarding multiple prizes. I'll hopefully have more to share next week :)

T

Taddio

Looking foward to see what the others have made (I'm not on social media much, I didn't catch the stuff on twitter).
Are you planning to release some kind of player where we could try the other games (those who wish so, obviously)?

L

Lonewolff

Good job to everyone who entered :cool:

I must admit, this challenge is what got me back in to coding. Was a great way to kick start on old hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.