• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Orientation Porblem when launching APK from a third party platform

D

DBabicius

Hello, fellow Game Maker developers!

I would like to ask for your help, since I'm facing quite a peculiar problem. The thing is, I'm currently preparing to launch my game on a new Android-related store/platform that is separate from Google Play. The platform is essentially a service that the user may download and then access various free and premium games through it. Due to the conditions of the contract I cannot disclose any further info nor can I have a better look at the inside of the said platform's code, but I'll try to briefly describe the issue to see if anybody faced an analogical problem under other circumstances.

My game is portrait oriented (which is set in Global Options). And when I launch the game through the platform, I get this:

upload_2018-12-7_17-23-8.png

As you see, the orientation changes from portrait, to sort of portrait-on-landscape. This is especially strange bearing in mind that the game launches perfectly when just copied directly to a folder on a phone. Any ideas what may cause such a bug or how one should go about fixing it?

D

DBabicius

I guess people haven't encountered this problem, or maybe I'm just too stingy with the info, so in any case I'm adding how the global settings for my Android look:

https://imgur.com/a/qvAwP5M

Could it be that the issue lies there?

You have "Keep aspect ratio" checked, which will add black bars on the sides or top depending on the device width and height. So if you're viewing your game on your computer, it will look like your screenshot. Are you saying that opening your game in their platform on a phone is causing it to twist to landscape orientation?

D

DBabicius

You have "Keep aspect ratio" checked, which will add black bars on the sides or top depending on the device width and height. So if you're viewing your game on your computer, it will look like your screenshot. Are you saying that opening your game in their platform on a phone is causing it to twist to landscape orientation?
Thank you so much for noticing! I somehow managed to overlook the "Keep aspect ratio" checkbox. Yes, apparently viewing the application on their platform causes it to twist to landscape despite the portrait being chosen in Global Game Settings, at least this is what I'm being reported. Though perhaps the "Keep aspect ratio" checkbox caused it. I reckon I'll send them a new build with "Full scale" instead of "Keep aspect ratio" chosen - maybe it will fix the issue :/