• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Corrupted project with new IDE

L

Leonard Menchiari

Last week I opened the project, hit run, but nothing worked anymore.

I quickly noticed that the resource tree was completely scrambled, with no order, no folders, and everything out of place.
I tried reverting the project on the svn to an earlier revision, since I know that often the *.yyp project file gets corrupted and breaks a lot of files (sometimes it's a simple warning, sometimes files disappear, etc) and it still didn't work.
Gamemaker's notice said that the project had multiple root views, so I tried removing one of the root views in the views folder (the empty one). The notice went away but the project still remained scrambled.
Gamemaker gave me the option to fix things automatically, but instead it added a bunch of extra lines to the project, extra views, and mixed up many different things in ways that I wasn't able to comprehend. The whole resource tree made no sense to me so I spent several days trying to figure out how to fix this.
I tried to revert Gamemaker to the previous Runtime, since I noticed that the project stopped working after their new update, but nothing.
I reverted the whole project to earlier revisions, and it gave me the same issues.
I checked out the whole project on new folders and different machines, but it still gives me the same issue.

I contacted YoYo Games, but they never replied (I did contact them about other issues in the past, but they haven't really helped us out on much so far). Usually I would let it pass, I would try to figure it out by my own, but this time is much more serious. I've been working on this project for two years, on a budget, and this issue could be a financial disaster. And it's might be because of an update that corrupted my whole project out of nowhere, less than a month before launch date.

I need to know if there is a way to get back the scripts, objects, rooms, etc, in the right order (because they need to be in order - especially the rooms) based on the projects I have (including earlier revisions).

Can anyone help me? Has anyone ever bumped into this issue before?

Attachments

P

ph101

Can you revert to an earlier version never opened in 2.2.1, and open it with 2.2.0 ide and runtime..? edit. also to answer your question, yes others have had this problem, see the pinned 2.2.1 thread

L

lazyeye

Hey there -- sorry to hear about this, sounds like a nightmare. I've never heard of a project breaking as severely as this, but I have helped people out with broken projects in the past -- if you want to contact me on Discord (lazyeye#0001) I can try to see if there is anything I can do to help.

L

Leonard Menchiari

Can you revert to an earlier version never opened in 2.2.1, and open it with 2.2.0 ide and runtime..? edit. also to answer your question, yes others have had this problem, see the pinned 2.2.1 thread
Thank you, that actually worked. I uninstalled the Steam version (I tried to do what you said before but it didn't work, so I tried again without Steam), I found the earlier IDE on the site so I'm currently using that one. It seems like it's working for now thankfully, but the downside is that I can't update gamemaker anymore (at least for now).
Hopefully it's going to be something that they will be able to fix in the future. The file structure in this software is very chaotic

L

Leonard Menchiari

Hey there -- sorry to hear about this, sounds like a nightmare. I've never heard of a project breaking as severely as this, but I have helped people out with broken projects in the past -- if you want to contact me on Discord (lazyeye#0001) I can try to see if there is anything I can do to help.
Thank you lazyeye, I truly appreciate that. So far I think I was able to fix some stuff, but I'll try to contact you if things get very bad again.

J

JayR

Thank you lazyeye, I truly appreciate that. So far I think I was able to fix some stuff, but I'll try to contact you if things get very bad again.
Hey man, how'd you fix it? I'm having the same issue here. I was on v2.1.5 initially. Updated to v2.2.0 and it seemed ok but v2.2.1 broke my resource tree.