• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

(Solved) Can I have a physics object in a non-Physics game?

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I want to have an object use physics, but the game I have does not use physics, would this cause problems or is it okay to do it?

P

Pyxus

I want to have an object use physics, but the game I have does not use physics, would this cause problems or is it okay to do it?
I can't speak for overall performance, but short answer yeah. Even games that center around physics will have tons of non-physics objects. So long as you're not trying to move non-physics objects with physics, or vice versa.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Danei

I think I've seen a bunch of different experienced users advise against using the built-in physics engine for anything except physics games, but I've never used it so I don't know exactly why.

P

Pyxus

I think I've seen a bunch of different experienced users advise against using the built-in physics engine for anything except physics games, but I've never used it so I don't know exactly why.
I'm definitely not one of those "experienced users", but from my understanding of it, part of the reason is it's just unnecessary most of the times. The physics engine can give you a fire and forget collision system, but you just don't need to simulate physics if your game is a standard rpg, or a platformer like mario; Its lazy and generally bad practice. Now if you're making a game like angry birds, the physics system may swiftly become your best friend.

Jezla

The physics system is pretty much all or nothing. It is possible to use a non-physics object in a physics world, but it's inadvisable, because there are probably ways within the physics system to accomplish what you would want to do.

However, you should NOT have an object use physics in a game that doesn't use physics. It won't work, and you'll cause yourself all kinds of problems. As @Pyxus said, physics is only suited for games that rely on physical simulation (Angry Birds, Pool, Pinball). See this thread.