• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code How to make a platform game like Ori and the Blind Forest?

S

ssssss

I don't mean how to make a Ori and the Blind Forest(I know it's a lot of work). I want to make a platfrom jump game similar to Ori including these features:
1. wall jump
2. slope walk, slope wall jump
3. change players rotation and action by terrain angle
Should I use the physics engine? Any useful tutorials? All the resources I found on market or Youtube about platform is too simple...

Simon Gust

It's not easy to make a platformer with advanced mechanics from the get go.
Because if you go and watch 3 different tutorials, you'll have a mess of a code and you'll end up here again.

As you suspected, no engine in the world will include everything you want specifically.

The physics engine is a consideration you should make after you've read this:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/when-not-to-turn-on-the-physics-system.34292/

I suggest, you go one by one. Learn and understand simpler things like wall jump and when you've fully understood the concept and implementation in any scenario, you go on to the next step.

P

ponotte

I dont really have any tutorials for you, but i recommend that you take a sip of coffee, relax and figure out how to do something you want to do. Then just code, test it and grind until it's perfect. that's propably best way to learn. that's what i do, if i want to do something even that i have no clue what to do, i will still try. and if i fail and just cant get it right, i will seek help from gm discord, or google tutorial for that specific problem. try not to copy code from tutorials, but instead make it yourself and figure out all the stuff yourself, quick way to learn. as you said that you found some resources wich are too simple, well, you could make it simple at first, and then improve it yourself, and if you get stuck, seek help from gm discord or from this forum.

S

ssssss

It's not easy to make a platformer with advanced mechanics from the get go.
Because if you go and watch 3 different tutorials, you'll have a mess of a code and you'll end up here again.

As you suspected, no engine in the world will include everything you want specifically.

The physics engine is a consideration you should make after you've read this:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/when-not-to-turn-on-the-physics-system.34292/

I suggest, you go one by one. Learn and understand simpler things like wall jump and when you've fully understood the concept and implementation in any scenario, you go on to the next step.
I dont really have any tutorials for you, but i recommend that you take a sip of coffee, relax and figure out how to do something you want to do. Then just code, test it and grind until it's perfect. that's propably best way to learn. that's what i do, if i want to do something even that i have no clue what to do, i will still try. and if i fail and just cant get it right, i will seek help from gm discord, or google tutorial for that specific problem. try not to copy code from tutorials, but instead make it yourself and figure out all the stuff yourself, quick way to learn. as you said that you found some resources wich are too simple, well, you could make it simple at first, and then improve it yourself, and if you get stuck, seek help from gm discord or from this forum.
Thanks for your reply guys. No tutoraials but very useful suggestions...too many tutorials make my brain a mess now:bash: