• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Android build error, please help!

M

MarkGuilams

Windows building works fine but for some odd reason android gives this error:

[Fatal Error] :28:181: Element type "application" must be followed by either attribute specifications, ">" or "/>".

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Exception while parsing the supplied manifest file W:\com.company.game\src\main\AndroidManifest.xml
> Element type "application" must be followed by either attribute specifications, ">" or "/>".

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.
:com.company.game:generateDebugBuildConfig

BUILD FAILED

Total time: 2 mins 14.213 secs

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe DONE (1)

Any help please? Thanks ahead of time.

Amon

Have you selected a device to build to in the dropdown box when you select android as the target?

Amon

Have you set up the paths to android NDK 17c, androidSDK and java, correctly in options/android?

Amon

You need android NDK r17c. The Android SDK needs to have minimum platform 16 and after. You also need JDK 1.8.0_191.

M

MarkGuilams

You need android NDK r17c. The Android SDK needs to have minimum platform 16 and after. You also need JDK 1.8.0_191.
I will try to get all of these. But I swore I had them. I'm on Windows 10 btw

M

MarkGuilams

There are 4 things I am seeing in the Options for Android, each with a number versions beside them:
Build Tools,
Support Library,
Target SDK,
Mimimum SDK,
and Compile SDK.

What does all of this even mean?

Amon

Forget those. You are looking in the wrong place.

Start GMS2. Click FILE then PREFERENCES. In the list on the left expand PLATFORM SETTINGS and then within that click Android. There, once you click android, you will be able to see 3 boxes where you select the locations of AndroidSDK, NDK r17c, and JDK.

Those all need to be properly filled in order to build for Android.

M

MarkGuilams

They all say ''Found" next to them. What am I doing wrong?

M

MarkGuilams

Have you selected a device to build to in the dropdown box when you select android as the target?
I'm getting a different error now, it says

System.Exception: Build Failed
at ..(YYDictionary `2, String, String, Boolean, String)
at Igor.AndroidBuilder.Package()

rIKmAN

I'd recommend creating a fresh empty room project and getting that to compile first.

This will confirm that your build tools are setup correctly for a successful build and rule out any project specific issues that may be the cause of the problem.

So, what happens if you try and compile an empty room project?

M

MarkGuilams

I'd recommend creating a fresh empty room project and getting that to compile first.

This will confirm that your build tools are setup correctly for a successful build and rule out any project specific issues that may be the cause of the problem.

Giving it a try now. Can't wait
Hmm. You look. Familiar. I will see. Heh heh.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MarkGuilams

The same error.

rIKmAN

Giving it a try now. Can't wait
Hmm. You look. Familiar. I will see. Heh heh.
I have over 3000 posts, you've probably seen my avatar around!
The same error.
OK so the issue is with your build tools / toolchain setup.

First of all - unplug your device and reboot your computer.

Now....

What version of GMS2 are you using?
What version of the NDK and JDK are you using?
Have you installed the drivers for your device?
Have you enabled Dev Mode on your device?
Have you enabled USB Debugging on your device?

If you open a command prompt and type 'adb' without the quotes, what is the output?

Post the settings you are using from File > Preferences > Platform Settings > Android
Post the settings you are using in Options > Android (in the resource tree)

That's all for now.

M

MarkGuilams

GMS ver 2.1.5.3
Android NDK r17c win x86
jdk 1.8.0_191

M

MarkGuilams

Well let's start with the 3 questions that you answered.

Is there any reason you aren't using the latest version of GMS2?
The Required SDK Article says that 2.1.4 and 2.1.5 only support NDK 16b.
JDK seems fine.

Have you read that article and tried to follow the Android Setup Guide?
My computer cannot connect to the internet no matter what I do. I thought that was the latest version.

Developer mode and USB debugging are alright.

rIKmAN

My computer cannot connect to the internet no matter what I do. I thought that was the latest version.

Developer mode and USB debugging are alright.
If you can't update GMS2 then you need to use NDK16b as that is the highest version supported by 2.1.4 and 2.1.5 as stated in that article I linked.

The latest stable version of GMS2 is 2.2.1, release info can be found in this thread.

P

Pano

same error, from today after uploading GMS2

M

MarkGuilams

rIKmAN

same error, from today after uploading GMS2
Android works fine on the latest version.

I've just compiled using 2.2.1 to my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

Whatever issues you are having are on your end, I would suggest making sure you are using the correct versions of everything and following the install guide I linked a few posts ago.

You mean upGRADING? This is why game Maker has such a bad rep yet it costs so much.
I mean upgrading the latest version yeah, you are on 2.1.5 and the latest stable release is 2.2.1.
If you don't want to upgrade to the latest version of GMS then use v16 of the NDK as that is the maximum supported by GMS2 v2.1.4 and v2.1.5 - this info is all in the articles I linked you to.

Making sure you have the right SDK, NDK and JDK is the same no matter what engine you use.
This isn't a GMS2 issue, it's a user error issue.

M

MarkGuilams

Whatever issues you are having are on your end, I would suggest making sure you are using the correct versions of everything and following the install guide I linked a few posts ago.

I mean upgrading the latest version yeah, you are on 2.1.5 and the latest stable release is 2.2.1.
If you don't want to upgrade to the latest version of GMS then use v16 of the NDK as that is the maximum supported by GMS2 v2.1.4 and v2.1.5 - this info is all in the articles I linked you to.

Making sure you have the right SDK, NDK and JDK is the same no matter what engine you use.
Thanks for that man. I was talking to the other guy about the upgrading part I know it's in the article. I'm downloading 16b now!

M

MarkGuilams

Okay, EDIT:
Now game Maker says NDK is "Not Found" even though I just downloaded it.

rIKmAN

Okay, EDIT:
Now game Maker says NDK is "Not Found" even though I just downloaded it.
You need to point GMS2 to the folder where you have extracted the NDK to.

File > Preferences > Platform Settings > Android.

Stop trying to run before you can walk, relax and follow that guide I linked you to - it's there for a reason.
There are a lot of moving parts that need setting up with Android and it's easy to miss one and get frustrated if you are new to it.

M

MarkGuilams

Stop trying to walk before you can run, relax and follow that guide I linked you to - it's there for a reason.
There are a lot of moving parts that need setting up with Android and it's easy to miss one and get frustrated if you are new to it.
Boi. stop talking and read. I know to point it to the directory. I've done it plenty times before.

M

MarkGuilams

Stop trying to run before you can walk, relax and follow that guide I linked you to - it's there for a reason.
I'm supposed to walk before I run lol thx tho