• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

HTML5 (Many) HTML5 export issues

Hi there,
I just purchased, for the first time, the Game Maker Studio 2 version for HTML5 export and... I'm experiencing so many issues with the export!
I'm used to work on Game Maker 8.1 and, in fact, everything works just fine in the Windows preview.
When I try to preview (or export) as HTML5 inside a web browser, everything is messed up.
Here's an example:

www.outcome.altervista.org/boh
It seems like it works good but...
1. after the first refresh, music will not be played (until a clean refresh)
2. the lyrics' sentences should be randomly positioned... but I noticed that the random is like pre-baked for every sentence, so "is this the real life?" will appear always at the same x,y. "is this just fanta sea?" (yeah, it's a joke!) always at its same x and y, etc...

Is this normal?!
What if there was an enemy that needed to be randomly positioned at every match but... the player will learn where he spawns? In the Windows preview there's effectly a random, why not in HTML5?

Other issues I've experienced in other tests are:
-wrong image_index (even from different sprites!) for an object
-screen becoming black and nothing more happens
-commands not always working (right a mouse click)
-room size out of the page size

What's wrong?
Do I need to set something up? Do I need to reinstall java or something?
Or do I need to ignore HTML5 conversions and ask for a refund?

Please help :D
Thank you very much

TheSpydog

1. after the first refresh, music will not be played (until a clean refresh)
Not sure what could be causing this one. What code are you using for playing your music?

2. the lyrics' sentences should be randomly positioned... but I noticed that the random is like pre-baked for every sentence, so "is this the real life?" will appear always at the same x,y. "is this just fanta sea?" (yeah, it's a joke!) always at its same x and y, etc...
This sounds like your random seed isn't being set correctly. Try calling randomize() in a Create event. (Be sure to read the documentation about it!)

-wrong image_index (even from different sprites!) for an object
-screen becoming black and nothing more happens
Try cleaning your project (click the little broom next to the Play/Debug buttons).

-commands not always working (right a mouse click)
See if disabling device_mouse_dbclick_enable helps.

-room size out of the page size
No idea on this one.

Do I need to reinstall java or something?
Java isn't required at all for HTML5 development; rather it uses JavaScript, which is a completely different (and confusingly named) language.

Carbon

Or do I need to ignore HTML5 conversions and ask for a refund?
Yes you do. GM's HTML5 exp is just buggy as heck since the very beginning. Don't expect a one click export like other platforms. You will have to fiddle around for things to work out well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you do. GM's HTML5 exp is just buggy as heck since the very beginning
The HTML5 exporter is getting a complete revamp, so it should become a lot better than it currently is. At the moment it is buggy, and parts are definitely broken. This has been mentioned quite a bit, and YYG staff have said that they are reworking it, so this should be something to look forward to.

Carbon

@Joysurrender Only some of my games that were initially designed for native windows work flawlessly on HTML5, some others had crazy scaling bugs, graphical issues, sounds, glitches, interpolation issues, etc. Granted, it should be a lot better now since they updated it quite a lot the past 2 versions or so.

True Valhalla

Full-Time Developer
GMC Elder
My advice is to test your game with the HTML5 export early and often. Make it your primary test platform because HTML5 is the most difficult export to support - if your game works on the web, it'll most likely work on other platforms too. The reverse does not apply quite as often.

You also need experience dealing with the platform's various idiosyncrasies. Start here: HTML5 Issues & Differences »

The HTML5 export is incredibly powerful and so much fun to work with. Give it a chance!

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
@Joysurrender Only some of my games that were initially designed for native windows work flawlessly on HTML5, some others had crazy scaling bugs, graphical issues, sounds, glitches, interpolation issues, etc. Granted, it should be a lot better now since they updated it quite a lot the past 2 versions or so.
Do you recognize just how much the part I highlighted undermines your credibility?

I am a web developer by day, and I also have training in native software development from my university days. I know for sure that if you assume native privilege on HTML5, chances are that reality would smash your face in. And believe me when I say I see A LOT of smashed faces on the Q&A sections. The HTML5 standard is still emerging and browsers are always playing catch-up, so what you can do is dependent on what they decide to support. For simple security reasons, the W3C made it so that certain things are out of the question, such as direct file system access and TCP/UDP support. That's where knowing the limitations, being minimalist and playing within them make a huge difference, and TrueValhalla knows this more than I do.

Everything thing you've said thus far is like saying gasoline cars don't work and are a scam, and so are people who drive gasoline cars for a living. Then you "prove" your point by filling up a gasoline car with diesel, because you've only ever driven a diesel car and that's what "filling up" means to you.

Carbon

Do you recognize just how much the part I highlighted undermines your credibility?

I am a web developer by day, and I also have training in native software development from my university days. I know for sure that if you assume native privilege on HTML5, chances are that reality would smash your face in. And believe me when I say I see A LOT of smashed faces on the Q&A sections. The HTML5 standard is still emerging and browsers are always playing catch-up, so what you can do is dependent on what they decide to support. For simple security reasons, the W3C made it so that certain things are out of the question, such as direct file system access and TCP/UDP support. That's where knowing the limitations, being minimalist and playing within them make a huge difference, and TrueValhalla knows this more than I do.

Everything thing you've said thus far is like saying gasoline cars don't work and are a scam, and so are people who drive gasoline cars for a living. Then you "prove" your point by filling up a gasoline car with diesel, because you've only ever driven a diesel car and that's what "filling up" means to you.
That's not what I meant, but okay.. Gotta appreciate the time you dedicated at those texts just for slight miswordings here and there.:D

Btw man, whoa. Not sure how you got it the other way from me. Who says about expecting native privileges on HTML5? lol.