New to development, need some advice

A

alib0ng0

Hi there, I'm in the process of starting quite an ambitious game in GameMaker Studio 2 (for the first time) and could do with a little help from this lovely community, any links to tutorials or guidance would be appreciated.

Is it possible to overlay full-screen mp4 videos at certain intervals in the game?

Is it possible to have a maze style game that is dark and only lit with a head light / lantern?

That's it for now.

Thanks
Al

W

Widget

"New to development" and "ambitious game" shouldn't really go together. Dream big, but start small.

I know you have a game in mind already but starting out with simple tutorials (arcade game clones, shoot 'em ups, simple platformers) would be best, as you will more likely gain knowledge that is more general and applicable to a wide variety of projects rather than finding specific knowledge for one type of game that might not be useful once you start to work on your next game. It shouldn't be that hard to look up beginner GMS2 tutorials on YouTube yourself.

What I always tell new game devs is that the games you make (at least the first ones) don't have to be what you had in mind before you started, your "dream game" can wait. I recommend trying to recreate a pre-existing game (particularly 8-bit ones), like a level or two. Because, how do you expect to develop a game that doesn't exist when you don't even know how to develop one that already does?

A

alib0ng0

"New to development" and "ambitious" shouldn't really go together. Dream big, but start small.

I know you have a game in mind already but starting out with simple tutorials (arcade game clones, shoot 'em ups, simple platformers) would be best, as you will more likely gain knowledge that is more general and applicable to a wide variety of projects rather than finding specific knowledge for one type of game that might not be useful once you start to work on your next game. It shouldn't be that hard to look up beginner GMS2 tutorials on YouTube yourself.

What I always tell new game devs is that the games you make (at least the first ones) don't have to be what you had in mind before you started, your "dream game" can wait. I recommend trying to recreate a pre-existing game (particularly 8-bit ones), like a level or two. Because, how do you expect to develop a game that doesn't exist when you don't even know how to develop one that already does?
Thanks Widget - I have been following tutorials - I know how to build scenes and landscapes, do sprite animations, jump, move and collision detections.

However the full screen video overlays are a massive part of the overall game I'm trying to produce so I need to know if this is possible and where the best place to look for a tutorial / plugin on this particular subject.

W

Widget

Thanks Widget - I have been following tutorials - I know how to build scenes and landscapes, do sprite animations, jump, move and collision detections.

However the full screen video overlays are a massive part of the overall game I'm trying to produce so I need to know if this is possible and where the best place to look for a tutorial / plugin on this particular subject.
This plugin is the best I could find: https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/4808/gmlvideo

I don't think GMS2 has native support for playing mp4 files. As for the question on the maze-styke game, yeah, absolutely. In fact I programmed a game similar to what you're looking for in GMS1. https://binary-shred.itch.io/watt

A tip I may add is to try to get into coding your project vs using DnD. Using DnD is a bit helpful from the beginning since it allows you to see how your code fits together, but as you progress, finding those icons, and matching them together will become a tedious hassle. I've done both, and a coding your project allows for better flexibility. I hope you find this helpful and have a nice evening.

Reactions: Yal