• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Tileset is a mess

L

LunarIceCream

I don't know anything about making my own tileset, and the one i made is kind of a mess. Any advice on it?
Platformer Tileset.png

L

LunarIceCream

Yeah, it's meant to be a castle dungeon. I want the tiles to be able to overlap with each other.

A

Afletch88

See how like they actually build walls and such? You could definitely do that, When I make my tilesets I pretty much just breakdown whatever the tileset is based on and go from there, like you can see here.

L

LunarIceCream

theres also a problem with the fact that alot of different sprites in tilesets vary in size. Idk how to make them overlap or fit into one set.

A

Afletch88

theres also a problem with the fact that alot of different sprites in tilesets vary in size. Idk how to make them overlap or fit into one set.
What tile size are yours going to be? 16x, 32x,64x? I generally do no more then 9x9 tilesets so if it's 16x- 144x144, 32x- 288x288, and 64x- 576x576. Depending on your editor, I make a grids layer and just build from there, if a tower piece is like 3 tiles high I'd make sure to put it in 3 tile squares. Also overlapping tiles you would want to make multiple Tile layers.

pixeltroid

Make a list of things you need for your level...

Brick walls, grills, doors, marbles, platforms, pillars, windows, flags etc.

Then make your grid and start drawing those tiles within the grid. You can always add detail later.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Don't, it's better to make multiple tilesets. Especially if a lot of the different things are rarely used (e.g. unique setpieces and buildings). You want to have the stuff you use the most be easily accessible, otherwise working on levels is an annoying pain. I'd usually make tilesets for each region, and then put rarely used stuff on special tilesets... also, I make special "utility miscellaneous" tilesets for stuff that is used a lot but not part of any set region, like rays of light shining through cracks in the ceiling, grass and vines growing on top of things, etc.

L

LunarIceCream

Don't, it's better to make multiple tilesets. Especially if a lot of the different things are rarely used (e.g. unique setpieces and buildings). You want to have the stuff you use the most be easily accessible, otherwise working on levels is an annoying pain. I'd usually make tilesets for each region, and then put rarely used stuff on special tilesets... also, I make special "utility miscellaneous" tilesets for stuff that is used a lot but not part of any set region, like rays of light shining through cracks in the ceiling, grass and vines growing on top of things, etc.
Ok thanks, I might try this.