GMC Jam Discussion GMC Jam 31 / XXXI / Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Misu

Im doing my devlogs differently this time. Im now live streaming my dev logs. Hopefully this is a new approach that might work out better than having to constantly write down on the forum. :p

Mercerenies

So @Alice and I are working on an RPG, and we've decided we should probably look for an artist. If there's anyone out there who does decent spritework and would be interested in joining our team, get in touch with one or both of us either here or on Discord. If you want to see what our game is about, it's right here..

Ralucipe

Looking forward to writing reviews for this jam - it'll be interesting to see if and how the reviewing experience is affected by the lengthened jam period.

A few tips for those who are planning on submitting games:
  • PLEASE tell me the controls/how to play your game. The last thing I want to do is spend time trying to deduce how to play, by button-mashing until stuff happens. At the very least include a readme with controls.
  • That being said... using a readme for valuable game info should be a last resort. It would be much better to tell the player how to play through in-game help windows, or tutorials, or whatever else might be appropriate for the context of the game. Trying to remember all of the controls during the game that I read from a plaintext file does not make for the most pleasant experience.
  • Try to find a creative way to implement one of the themes, rather than simply making it a part of a storyline which has no actual bearing on gameplay. Even one or two small gameplay mechanics with a tangible theme connection would be fine.
Follow those tips and you'll score much better votes from me!

Last edited:
H

Hadin Lemery

Going to attempt this one but not sure if I have the skills yet. Unfortunately am a couple days late as i haven't been checking the forums for a while, albeit as a guest. Bought GMS2 and have learned a lot but still don't think I know enough to produce anything worth playing. I guess I'll see what happens.

Ehsan

Pirates vs Clones
Meet @Ehsan, Fight @Ehsan.

(7.5 MB GIF, may take time to load on slow connections)
That's legitimately well done! Wouldn't ever have made the connection between my silly weirdly abstract fuzzy nothing-like-a-bear-looking player with a lava monster that's a much better fit for the little critter! Chapeau to you sir!

Nocturne doesn't do anything yet, I'm still thinking about what attack he'll have. :p
Maybe delete my status updates....

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Here's an exclusive piece of concept art I drew for our project! We're in a very art-intensive phase right now. All of it probably won't end up in the game since the deadline is so tight but maybe we can release a post-jam version with an unlockable art gallery. Would be a shame if all this effort wasn't used in some way.
upload_2018-11-20_20-26-32.png

yes it's a cannon made in MS paint in 10 seconds lol

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Okay, the previous concept art was a bit of a joke... we developed the idea further today, and there's the REAL concept we'll roll with! :eek:

(Spoilered since the image is a few megs, only open if you're prepared to handle the epic loading!)
upload_2018-11-22_0-34-22.png

Lol you fell for it again gg

S

SamSam

Okay, the previous concept art was a bit of a joke... we developed the idea further today, and there's the REAL concept we'll roll with! :eek:

(Spoilered since the image is a few megs, only open if you're prepared to handle the epic loading!)
View attachment 21848

Lol you fell for it again gg
Ow ! Wasn't ready...

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Basically done sweet F.A. on my project from the time I posted in the games topic until today... hoping to spend the next couple of days actually doing something :eek:

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder

Finally made some progress! Digging the new longer, laid back jam period. I haven't actually used the extra time for game dev, it's just allowed me to spread out my work in a healthier way :)

ezgif-3-d1a025911adc.gif

Not sure if I will finish this one, but so far I just have a card flipping mechanic.

The idea is to have a Memory / Matching Pairs type of game, with the odds of finding a match displayed to the player, so they know what odds they are trying to overcome. However, every couple of minutes or so, the unmatched cards will be reshuffled, hence players needing to adapt to the new positions of the cards. And finally, they are not matching playing cards, but pairs of people looking for love...you have to try to match compatible people with each other...after all, love is a chemical reaction.

That was the initial idea - I might drop the love match part, it sounded better in my head when I first thought of it...might be tricky to implement in a fun way.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Save the plants from the Army of @Roderick-s.

I didn't intend to copy Plants vs. Zombies. I already knew that I wanted to have an incoming army that would be shot using a crossbow, and I added the plants later as an element that can make you lose. THEN I got the deja vu.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
One might claim that stealing @Barvix's plants is downright un-paladinly behavior. But I ask you this: What if they aren't stealing plants? What if they're being rescued? What is he doing with them? Something nefarious, no doubt!
Great lines for the leader of the Army of Rodericks :p

Toque

Finally made some progress! Digging the new longer, laid back jam period. I haven't actually used the extra time for game dev, it's just allowed me to spread out my work in a healthier way :)
I like the art. I really want to make a black and white game some time.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Save the plants from the Army of @Roderick-s.

I didn't intend to copy Plants vs. Zombies. I already knew that I wanted to have an incoming army that would be shot using a crossbow, and I added the plants later as an element that can make you lose. THEN I got the deja vu.
If there is not a tomato selling raccoon in your game I'll be disapointed

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I've made a game before like this, with GMC members, for GMC Jam #5. You can play it here: https://matharoo.itch.io/duality

So that's Duality, and this new one is Duality 2.
If there is not a tomato selling raccoon in your game I'll be disapointed
The casting for the game is already done, only one more character left to reveal. Pay me huge sums of money and you can be in Duality 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I've made a game before like this, with GMC members, for GMC Jam #5. You can play it here: https://matharoo.itch.io/duality

So that's Duality, and this new one is Duality 2.

The casting for the game is already done, only one more character left to reveal. Pay me huge sums of money and you can be in Duality 3.
Sorry kinda sent it all to this Nigerian prince, Dont worry when he sends me the 6mill back I'll pay you some

HayManMarc

Well, then. There's not much to the jump game we made, but there is a lot of content. Hope you all at least enjoy the silly jokes and art. Still have a few things left to do, but things are looking good. Here's another teaser screenshot, this one of Wizzy jumping over a bench, while a dude in the background is repairing a streetlight! WooHoo!!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Currently the biggest odds Misu and me are trying to overcome is cooperating despite style and time zone differences, but we'll hopefully have something cool to show off eventually... x3

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Surprise! I made an entry on my own!

It's just hacked together in like an hour, but I tried something new for a change! It's a game where you type out numbers to kill zombies, but since the theme is AGAINST ALL ODDS you should only kill the odd-numbered zombies, the even-numbered zombies are friendly! :3

Status
Not open for further replies.