That's a lot of questions

V

Vinicius Alvarenga

Hello everyone,
I'm new at GMS, and i'm trying to make a 3D puzzle horror game based on I'M SCARED and DO NOT BELIEVE IN HIS LIES. i'm seeing that is really challenging, specially because its 3D and GMS its made specially for 2D games, so i have some questions and i think you guys can solve them.

1- How can i have the same graphics that we see in I'M SCARED, like everything pixelated but still 3D?
2- How can i create files outside the game just like I'M SCARED?
3- How can i create a globalvar but it works with other objects? (If it's possible)

Srry if did some english mistakes, i'm brazilian :v (i'm not using google tradutor i swear)
Thx everyone

C

CedSharp

First, welcome to the GameMaker community. I see you have an account since august but welcome anyways :D

I just want to point 3 things before I answer your questions:
- GameMaker Studio 2 (GMS:2) is NOT only for 2D anymore, it has decent support for 3D with models, matrixes and all the nice vertex/vertice goodies. It probably doesn't compare to unity but it's still very powerful.
- If you are new to GameMaker, I hope you aren't new to programming. 3D is NOT the type of first project you should be making and you'll be hitting only walls if you struggle with 3D at your level. (if you have experience with programming ignore this)
- Usually, on the forums, you don't ask for people to tell you what to do. You first try something, then if it goes wrong you explain what you tried and what you wanted to achieve. THEN people will help you. No one will tell you how to do something if you don't even try yourself first ;)

Now, on to answering your questions:
1. I'm almost sure this is a shader. It's not actually pixelated, it's probably real 3D with a shader that makes it look like it's pixelated.
2. GameMaker is sandboxed so you cannot create files wherever you want. If you want to create files on the desktop, you can do that only on windows. Otherwise, you can only create files in a special folder depending on the device.
3. If you are asking that question, I strongly believe you shouldn't be making a 3D game. But here is your answer anyways:

In GameMaker Studio 2, there are 4 types of variables:
- Local variables: These are prefixed with 'var' and they stop existing at the end of the script.
- Instance variables: These are variables like 'x' or 'speed', you can create your own. You can use them anywhere inside your object.
- Enums/Macros : These are constants (they cannot change their values, they are not "variable"), they are global and any object can use them
- Global variables: Those can be used by any objets anytime from anywhere. There are two types:
1. Prefixed with 'global.' (ex: 'global.player_name')
2. Defined with 'globalvar' (ex: 'globalvar PlayerName')

Here are the documentation sources for you to have a good read of the manual (which you should've read in the first place):
- Shaders
- Guide going in-depth for getting started with 3D
- File System in the manual
- Variables in the manual

Hope this helps.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
3- How can i create a globalvar but it works with other objects? (If it's possible)
All global variables works with all objects, just for the record :p

As for the non-sandboxed files, you might wanna check out YAL's extension for that: https://itch.io/queue/c/89802/assets-and-examples?game_id=121019
(and we have similar names but aren't the same person)

I'm also pretty sure IMSCARED was made in GameMaker to begin with, there used to be a first-person game tutorial which used Doom 1 assets but it's probably not around anymore.

And how can i do that?
That's going to be the easy part, to be frank. If we have to talk you through that part we're going to end up talking you through the whole thing.

But anyway, basically what you would do there is have a small application_surface size, but a larger window size. And texture interpolation would be turned off.

C

CreatorAtNight

It seems you never made a game in Game Maker before, I would strongly advice to make a most basic game to start with. I think a lot of people make the mistake to be too ambitious with your first game, including me. And maybe it's a good way to learn that it's not a good idea, but we might save you some time and frustration by telling you this.

I would start with a super simple 2D game and make it work perfectly in every way. You'll run into enough problems with a super simple game to learn from and will help you build your knowledge about Game Maker a lot faster if you're not frustrated all the time. Search Youtube for some good tutorials to learn the basics. And like @CedSharp said, always try to look for an answer yourself first before asking on the forums. If you have an idea, first try to think of a solution yourself, if you need try to find info on the web to help you with this. If you still can't figure it out after that you can post your problem to the forums. I'm not only saying this because people don't like to answer questions when people don't try themselfs. But it is also important to learn to figure it out yourself. A good programmer is someone that's able to figure stuff out.

V

Vinicius Alvarenga

It seems you never made a game in Game Maker before, I would strongly advice to make a most basic game to start with. I think a lot of people make the mistake to be too ambitious with your first game, including me. And maybe it's a good way to learn that it's not a good idea, but we might save you some time and frustration by telling you this.

I would start with a super simple 2D game and make it work perfectly in every way. You'll run into enough problems with a super simple game to learn from and will help you build your knowledge about Game Maker a lot faster if you're not frustrated all the time. Search Youtube for some good tutorials to learn the basics. And like @CedSharp said, always try to look for an answer yourself first before asking on the forums. If you have an idea, first try to think of a solution yourself, if you need try to find info on the web to help you with this. If you still can't figure it out after that you can post your problem to the forums. I'm not only saying this because people don't like to answer questions when people don't try themselfs. But it is also important to learn to figure it out yourself. A good programmer is someone that's able to figure stuff out.
Yes, i never did a game at GMS, only in Flash but a lot of time ago, i'll try to don't go too fast and start with a simple 2D game and maybe after try something more ambicious, thx all you guys for the suggestions and the help.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
And how can i do that?
One idea is to have the native window / viewports be small, then resize the window to an integer multiple of it (e.g. native size 160x80 and then you upscale it to 640x320)... once at game start. GM stretches the app surface (which is really 160x80) to the window size, and you get the benefits of actual drawing (3D, shaders, etc) only using a really small area, so more CPU / GPU power is left over for other stuff.