• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Is there a way to allow only ONE instance...

P

psyke

I'm planning on release my game on steam, and I've noticed that I can open multiple instances of my game, this could lead to potential exploits.

So, my question is: is there a way to allow only ONE instance of the game to run at the same time?

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Unless you accidentally shipped a steam_appid.txt with your build (don't), Steam will not allow to run multiple instances of the game.

P

psyke

Unless you accidentally shipped a steam_appid.txt with your build (don't), Steam will not allow to run multiple instances of the game.
Thank you!
This seems to be the case, this also fixed another problem I was having: when opening the game with steam closed, it doesn't try to open steam.

So, I've another simple question: what is the .txt good for? Is it even necessary at all (even if the game is not released)?

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
So, I've another simple question: what is the .txt good for? Is it even necessary at all (even if the game is not released)?
as the doc states, the .txt is used for debug builds - for example, GM will generate one in the temp directory when running from IDE so that the Steam client doesn't try to reopen the release version first.

P

psyke

as the doc states, the .txt is used for debug builds - for example, GM will generate one in the temp directory when running from IDE so that the Steam client doesn't try to reopen the release version first.
Get it,
Alright, thanks for helping me (again)
:)