• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

This must've been brought up before.. (GMS1)

8-BitTonberry

I imagine somebody has ranted about this before, but considering I don't dabble too much with Game Maker anymore (For multiple reasons), I get out of touch.

What is the story here, was Game Maker Studio 1 completely abandoned?
I'm extremely sour that I have paid for a program to design games and software and it was left in total shambles.

The program barely runs on my current computer or my previous. The launcher is riddled with errors and always was.

The program never even had a fully functional "Maximize" feature.

I had been holding out for countless bug fixes and for them to straighten the software out, and then they announced GMS 2.

So, that's fantastic I guess. I realize it's old news now, but I'm very shocked that there were so many issues that had never been addressed. It's like the software was so poorly constructed from day 1 that it was just dropped.

I apparently bought the Windows Vista of the YoYo Games world, and now the 'apology' version is going to cost me again.

I imagine somebody has ranted about this before, but considering I don't dabble too much with Game Maker anymore (For multiple reasons), I get out of touch.

What is the story here, was Game Maker Studio 1 completely abandoned?
I'm extremely sour that I have paid for a program to design games and software and it was left in total shambles.

The program barely runs on my current computer or my previous. The launcher is riddled with errors and always was.

The program never even had a fully functional "Maximize" feature.

I had been holding out for countless bug fixes and for them to straighten the software out, and then they announced GMS 2.

So, that's fantastic I guess. I realize it's old news now, but I'm very shocked that there were so many issues that had never been addressed. It's like the software was so poorly constructed from day 1 that it was just dropped.

I apparently bought the Windows Vista of the YoYo Games world, and now the 'apology' version is going to cost me again.
YYG made the announcement that they would be sunsetting GMS1.x over a year ago (mid-2017): https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gamemaker-studio-1-4-sunset.28245/
And the sunsetting announcement came quite a while after GMS2 was released (Nov-2016): https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gamemaker-studio-2-available-for-purchase.13312/

8-BitTonberry

Thank you for the response. I do realize that it's old news, I was relatively up to date with the information regarding the release of Studio 2 and deprecation of Studio 1, but the condition that Studio 1 was abandoned is what's getting me.

M

Meowanator

Thank you for the response. I do realize that it's old news, I was relatively up to date with the information regarding the release of Studio 2 and deprecation of Studio 1, but the condition that Studio 1 was abandoned is what's getting me.
Think of it like this: YoYo Games made a brand new version of GameMaker with more features and better optimized. Why would they continue working on Game Maker 1 when they could be working on Game Maker 2? We're lucky that they worked on GMS1 for that long since GMS2 came out.

8-BitTonberry

I would expect that the software would be left in a functional and non-glitchy state considering that's what I had expected when I originally bought the program.

S

Steevo

I would expect that the software would be left in a functional and non-glitchy state considering that's what I had expected when I originally bought the program.
Well it was left in the state it was always in. Why would you expect more than that?

Oh, minus the Marketplace being neutered though. Don't know the decision behind that one. And funnily enough 1.4 assets are the only ones that show up on the sellers reporting, anything sold in 2.x never has.

8-BitTonberry

Well it was left in the state it was always in. Why would you expect more than that?

Oh, minus the Marketplace being neutered though. Don't know the decision behind that one. And funnily enough 1.4 assets are the only ones that show up on the sellers reporting, anything sold in 2.x never has.
Exactly! It always was. I was waiting for them to pick up the slack a little and just make it run like any other application.
Instead of fixing it, they devoted all of their energy to a new project, which is fine, but when other companies release a technological failure, they typically allow people who've paid to upgrade for free, since they paid for a deprecated heap of crap.