• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE My project frequently becomes unable to save for no apparent reason

Peej4321

Whenever I change anything in my project, there's a small chance that the next time I save, it says that it's unable to save that thing that I just changed, for no apparent reason. This also makes it impossible to run my project any time this happens because it has to save first. Usually this can be fixed by closing game maker and opening it up again. But recently this hasn't worked with when I change a certain room in my project, and I just can't ignore it anymore. I think it'll let me save if I delete the room and remake it again.

Why is this happening? Does this happen to anyone else? How can I stop it?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
This is likely caused by other programs fighting for access to your project's files, and you get that message when GMS 2 loses.

For starters, DO NOT store the working copy of a project on automatically synchronized cloud storage like Dropbox or OneDrive, store only backup copies of it there. Also consider putting your project directories in the whitelist for your antivirus suite's real-time scanner.

Peej4321

This is likely caused by other programs fighting for access to your project's files, and you get that message when GMS 2 loses.

For starters, DO NOT store the working copy of a project on automatically synchronized cloud storage like Dropbox or OneDrive, store only backup copies of it there. Also consider putting your project directories in the whitelist for your antivirus suite's real-time scanner.
Thanks.

Peej4321

My whole documents folder is currently being backed up automatically, and that includes the working copy of my project. Is it okay to just move it somewhere else, or will that cause game maker to not be able to find it?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
My whole documents folder is currently being backed up automatically, and that includes the working copy of my project. Is it okay to just move it somewhere else, or will that cause game maker to not be able to find it?
Then that's the problem. Your automatic backup program is fighting with GMS 2 over access rights to project files. Either you move the working copy, or reschedule the backup program to run when you are definitively away from the project (e.g. lunch time, bed time, etc.).

If you choose to move, you can move it anywhere, so as long as the files inside are still in their right places.

Peej4321

Well I just tried moving my "Game Maker2" folder from documents to elsewhere, and game maker can't find it by default anymore. It just created another folder with the same name in documents, but it's empty. So will it be fine if I manually open it from elsewhere?

I

immortalx

You didn't have to move the gamemaker folder, just save the project to a new directory and keep working from there

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Well I just tried moving my "Game Maker2" folder from documents to elsewhere, and game maker can't find it by default anymore. It just created another folder with the same name in documents, but it's empty. So will it be fine if I manually open it from elsewhere?
You don't have to use the GMS 2 welcome screen, just double-click the .yyp file inside the project and it will open in GMS 2 automatically.

If you do want to use the welcome screen, just set the new workspace directory in File > Preferences > General Settings > Paths > 'My Projects' directory.

Peej4321

You don't have to use the GMS 2 welcome screen, just double-click the .yyp file inside the project and it will open in GMS 2 automatically.

If you do want to use the welcome screen, just set the new workspace directory in File > Preferences > General Settings > Paths > 'My Projects' directory.
Thanks.

bsabiston

This happens to me every time I work with Gamemaker these days, and it isn't because another application is accessing the files. GMS2 - at least the Mac version - has a serious bug that they need to fix ASAP!