Linux users?

obscene

I have been a linux user for approx 1 hour lol. I have a build. Got ourselves a runner file and in the folder of assets there is a game.unx file. Thought it might be cool to run it or something. Enabled "run this as an executable." And then now I have no idea what to do next.

upload_2018-11-8_10-29-38.png

Binsk

Code:
cd ~/Downloads/Orphan
ls
ls will list the files in the folder. See if Runner shows up as green (aka, can be executed) . If not,
Code:
chmod +x Runner
If it did show green or you had to run the above then the following should execute it:

Code:
./Runner
If it is saying permission denied then it may be owned by root and you have to use:
Code:
sudo ./Runner
Followed by the root password.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Code:
cd ~/Downloads/Orphan
ls
ls will list the files in the folder. See if Runner shows up as green (aka, can be executed) . If not,
Code:
chmod +x Runner
If it did show green or you had to run the above then the following should execute it:

Code:
./Runner
If it is saying permission denied then it may be owned by root and you have to use:
Code:
sudo ./Runner
Followed by the root password.
bonus: if the binary is built for different architecture (e.g. your VM is x86 but binary is x64 from GMS2) there's a tendency of throwing "no such file" instead of an actual error

obscene

Thank you guys very much, that did the trick. It's running about 1fps in Virtualbox but now I'll try to get it running on a real install and see what happens. :)

obscene

Can you guys guide me on how to use connect GM to a virtual machine in Virtualbox? (I have it on a real machine but it's not stable). On the physical machine, I simply put the IP address from Linux into GM and it connected successfully. In Virtualbox, I do the same but the connection request times out. Not 100% sure I have it set up correctly.

Last edited:

obscene

Ok, new questions...

How can I stop the Terminal from closing after the game returns an error? As soon as I touch it and try to read debug messages, it closes. Only way to actually get to read the debug is to create a build, transfer it over to the machine, repeat all the above instructions above (chmod) and then run it which takes much longer to debug stuff rather than just hitting play.

Also, can you not disable the GameMaker splash screen in Linux?

Last edited:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

Run the game from the terminal after GM sends the runner and game assets to your VM (or actual machine, either one) which is what you are doing so yeah

You can only disable the splash screen in GMS2

obscene

Thank you very much. Got a few issues to work out looks like. Some shaders are not working properly.

What is your opinion on this? Should I remove settings for display_set_windows_vertex_buffer_method as well as the Vsync alternate method that are supposedly Windows only?