• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

HTML5 Project Force

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
It's in a very early stage right now, I'm mainly making this thread so that I have at least some motivation to continue working on it.

Project Force
The codename is "Project Force" because it's inspired from the Force Push ability from Star Wars.

Play the prototype here
Controls:

WASD/Arrow keys for movement

Left-click to Force Push

Right-click for slow motion (for testing only)

Last edited:

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Thanks guys!

It looks pretty cool so far, although I am a bit confused by that thin red line :p
I added it as a debug feature but I think I'm gonna keep it as an option. It lets you see your path and everywhere you've been (since the line doesn't completely disappear - it's actually a bug!)

Bentley

Very cool. I like the fast pace and the animations go well with that, especially the jump-roll.

Last edited:
M

markfe

Nice that you can test it in browser right away!
It looks promising.
I like, that the red lines stay as an overlay, so you can see all your failed jumps. The jump and the "push" don't seem to work together? I would often try to jump and then dash in the air.
Might be you don't need the jump at all and only have the "push"? It could simplify the controls.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Nice that you can test it in browser right away!
It looks promising.
I like, that the red lines stay as an overlay, so you can see all your failed jumps. The jump and the "push" don't seem to work together? I would often try to jump and then dash in the air.
Might be you don't need the jump at all and only have the "push"? It could simplify the controls.
Thanks!

Well you can't Force Push in the air, there needs to be some surface/wall to push against.

And removing jump might be a nice idea, I'll think about it.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.

Created a basic physics system, testing it with this key. It will be used to unlock barriers (you can briefly see it on the right).

At first I thought I'd just switch to GM's physics system but glad I didn't. It would've been more of a headache working with that.

Nehemek

I have an issue. On Opera with the right click you can do gestures to close a tab (right click and quickly drag to the left), open a new tab (right click and drag to the right) and so on. So go figure what happened when I tried to move the mouse to position the force push and right clicked.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I have an issue. On Opera with the right click you can do gestures to close a tab (right click and quickly drag to the left), open a new tab (right click and drag to the right) and so on. So go figure what happened when I tried to move the mouse to position the force push and right clicked.
Interesting... I'll probably change it to left click. I thought I'd have a weapon on left click but I decided to only have the force ability, so I'll move it to left click.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
why to jump with space? Usually I prefer W (or UP). so, interesting project.
Jump has been removed. Didn't make sense to have it alongside the Force Push™ ability.

Also, when I used W people said Space was better, and now this? :p

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I had the same problem, Just do both haha space and W.
That could work, but not in games that need a separate "up" button for things like entering doors, climbing ladders and aiming up to shoot. That was a problem with my previous game, so I had to move the jump button to space.