• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code Windows build not compiling changes

P

p4stoboy

if (hp <= 0){
obj_player.kills += 1;
if(obj_player.score mod 10 == 0 && obj_player.kills != 0){
var xx = irandom_range(
room_width/3, room_width/3*2);
var yy = irandom_range(room_height/3, room_height/3*2);
instance_create_layer(xx, yy, "Instances",
choose(obj_shotSpeedUp, obj_speedUp, obj_travelSpeedUp,
obj_knockBackUp, obj_attackUp));
}
}
My game has randomly stopped selecting obj_attackUp - every other drop works fine (I've run like 200 drops to make sure it wasn't just unlucky). Any ideas?? If I spawn one manually it works fine =\

EDIT: After some further investigation - there is also a sprite that I've changed which is still using the old one when i create the object.
Also, in the issue from the OP - sometimes obj_player.kills mod 10 DOES == 0 but it drops nothing (I'm guessing it's selecting obj_attackUp and something is amiss).

These issues are occurring on a windows build (I'm working on a mac). If I run it on the mac none of the issues are present.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

p4stoboy

After some further investigation - there is also a sprite that I've changed which is still using the old one when i create the object.
Also, in the issue from the OP - sometimes obj_player.kills mod 10 DOES == 0 but it drops nothing (I'm guessing it's selecting obj_attackUp and something is amiss).

These issues are occurring on a windows build (I'm working on a mac). If I run it on the mac none of the issues are present.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Have you cleared the compiler cache and tried again? The "broom" icon at the top of the IDE will clear the cache...

P

p4stoboy

I had not, I just tried it then and it didn't help though :(

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, that's weird! The symptoms you describe are perfect examples of what happens when you build with a stale compiler cache. Have you tried simply calling the choose function in a for loop and outputting the results, without it actually being part of the instance create function? I'd also add in multiple show_debug_message() into the code so you can see what is happening (output the values of "obj_player.score", "obj_player.kills", etc...), or add a breakpoint and then step through the code a line at a time and check to see what is running and what isn't.

P

p4stoboy

Okay, that's weird! The symptoms you describe are perfect examples of what happens when you build with a stale compiler cache. Have you tried simply calling the choose function in a for loop and outputting the results, without it actually being part of the instance create function? I'd also add in multiple show_debug_message() into the code so you can see what is happening (output the values of "obj_player.score", "obj_player.kills", etc...), or add a breakpoint and then step through the code a line at a time and check to see what is running and what isn't.
Thanks man, that's my next step but I'm hesitant to do it when it compiles fine for mac. I'm guessing it is a compiler issue. I cleared the cache with it set to mac and then when i switched to windows it wasn'y an option but I'm guessing it's the same cache. I couldn't find anything related in the compiler app on the windows machine.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Yeah, the fact it runs fine on Mac does make it look like it's a compiler issue somewhere, but it also suggests that the issue may not be with the "choose" function itself but elsewhere... When you've finished debugging, file a bug with a link to the project, and if you can pinpoint exactly what's happening then include those details too (but still file the bug even if you can't give more details than those given here).

P

p4stoboy

WIll do. It's actually bizarre, this isn't a complex project and in the windows version that doesn't work the player will all of a sudden start one hitting instead of two hitting the enemies as if the attack variable has incremented even though no pickup dropped, however the players stats are printed at the top of the screen, they all update fine but the attack one doesn't move (on mac it increments fine and displays it).

I also don't have the option to clear compiler cache when it's set to windows compile?

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I strongly suspect you're seeing https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=29998 - if you try opening this project in the 2.2.1 Beta release it will likely offer to repair the project for you. Once this is done, you should be fine.

If 2.2.1 doesn't solve the issue, File > Export and send us the project .yyz along with your compiler log when building the project for Windows, please.

P

p4stoboy

Okay I have tried to just get it to spawn an attackUp object on game start and it worked on mac but not Windows. I think the Windows compiler is using an ?outdated project file?

I'm downloading the beta now Dan, thanks for that - I already submitted a bug before I realised the extent of the issue though so it's probably not a useful report.

P

p4stoboy

My new compile log post-update:

"/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/mono" /Users/Shared/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes/runtime-2.2.1.273/bin/Igor.exe /rp="/Users/Shared/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes/runtime-2.2.1.273" /user="/Users/ZZZ/.config/GameMakerStudio2/b1gh_1529405" /project="/Users/ZZZ/GameMakerStudio2/punished!/punished!.yyp" /cache="/Users/ZZZ/.config/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/GMS2CACHE" /of="/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.y3BMLw/GameMakerStudio2/GMS2TEMP/punished!_547A578F_VM/" /tf="/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.y3BMLw/GameMakerStudio2/GMS2TEMP/punished!_target_547A578F" /r=VM /w=192.168.0.148:7653 /config="default" /targetOptions="/Users/ZZZ/.config/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/GMS2CACHE/punished!_1E096696/targetoptions.json" Remote.Windows Run

Release build
Igor complete.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Igor.RemoteBuilder.DoCommand (System.String command) [0x00cb2] in <e76b12bb7675466495713586db70a709>:0
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod.InternalInvoke(System.Reflection.MonoMethod,object,object[],System.Exception&)
at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00032] in <bb7b695b8c6246b3ac1646577aea7650>:0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00048] in <bb7b695b8c6246b3ac1646577aea7650>:0
at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <bb7b695b8c6246b3ac1646577aea7650>:0
at .. (. ) [0x00172] in <e76b12bb7675466495713586db70a709>:0
at .. (System.String[] ) [0x00994] in <e76b12bb7675466495713586db70a709>:0
EXCEPTION FILE - /private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.y3BMLw/tmp/6f40871fd0214723a86c4407a599bb99.yyg.saencryptedreport
WARNING: The Carbon driver has not been ported to 64bits, and very few parts of Windows.Forms will work properly, or at all
elapsed time 00:00:00.4851770s for command "/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/mono" /Users/Shared/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes/runtime-2.2.1.273/bin/Igor.exe /rp="/Users/Shared/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes/runtime-2.2.1.273" /user="/Users/ZZZ/.config/GameMakerStudio2/b1gh_1529405" /project="/Users/ZZZ/GameMakerStudio2/punished!/punished!.yyp" /cache="/Users/ZZZ/.config/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/GMS2CACHE" /of="/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.y3BMLw/GameMakerStudio2/GMS2TEMP/punished!_547A578F_VM/" /tf="/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.y3BMLw/GameMakerStudio2/GMS2TEMP/punished!_target_547A578F" /r=VM /w=192.168.0.148:7653 /config="default" /targetOptions="/Users/ZZZ/.config/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/GMS2CACHE/punished!_1E096696/targetoptions.json" Remote.Windows Run started at 11/06/2018 22:34:20
FAILED: Run Program Complete
e- works on mac though lol.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Can you attach that /private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.y3BMLw/tmp/6f40871fd0214723a86c4407a599bb99.yyg.saencryptedreport file to your ticket, please. This will tell us the file causing the issue.

P

p4stoboy

Can you attach that /private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.y3BMLw/tmp/6f40871fd0214723a86c4407a599bb99.yyg.saencryptedreport file to your ticket, please. This will tell us the file causing the issue.
I can but I can’t work out how to edit my ticket.

P

p4stoboy

Okay I found it, I can't find that file on my mac, I'm guessing it's on the windows machine??? I'll have a look in a minute.

P

p4stoboy

Okay that file is gone, I tried to compile again and it threw this:
EXCEPTION FILE - /var/folders/rm/phdx66cj7c74yt9d8y694hx00000gn/T/4d88f5b3d4604a358bfdd0433f226249.yyg.saencryptedreport
Which I have attached to ticket #151282.

P

p4stoboy

Is anyone able to advise on how long a response to a support ticket normally takes? I’ve had no movement on this issue since I reported it and in the meantime I can’t compile =\

Last edited by a moderator:
P

p4stoboy

Hi, this support ticket has been open for 2 months now with no response?? Does the license I have paid for include support or what? I literally cannot compile my game.