• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Game Mechanics Creating a sense of weight w/ attacks

N

nlolotte

Hello,

Just looking to get some input on what you feel creates a good sense of weight when attacking in games.

In my game I have 5 different attack types. Empty handed, stabbing, slashing, swinging and lunges. The empty hand and stab attacks are fast, swinging and lunges are slower and cause the player to move forward a little into the attack and slashing is moderate speed.

Games like dark souls do a great job of reflecting weight depending on armour and weapon used. I want to achieve the same feel.

I noticed a lot of games use:

• Screen shake
  • Animation key frames
  • Knockback
  • Other effects like dust clouds and dash lines.
What examples can you think of?

Dr_Nomz

I would personally recommend studying animation, or at least looking at animations. That alone can make the weapon feel very heavy depending on how long it takes to swing, and how hard it hits.

N

nlolotte

Have the game pause for 1 second On a hit to give it a sense of impact
maybe half a second
This is similar to Hollow Knight. Initially I didn't like it and thought my switch was broken ro something but then, once i got used to it, kind of liked it.

Sound effects! Big, chunky hit noises are a must.
Absolutely. I think this is why combat in the ARPG castlevania games feels so good. All the sword swing sounds and grunts.

Have the animation pause for a frame or two at the peak of the swing it will help make the weapon feel like it has weight.
I would personally recommend studying animation, or at least looking at animations. That alone can make the weapon feel very heavy depending on how long it takes to swing, and how hard it hits.
Very good points. Especially for heavy attacks. Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Niels

Overshoot in the animation
Hitstop/hitpauze
Screenshake
Enemy getting hit animation/blinking
Sound effect for hitting and getting hit
Particles flying off the enemy

Basically study/play hollow knight, that game has GREAT visual player feedback.

N

NeZvers

Oh, and game freeze for 1-3 frames on impact.
Edit: saw it was already suggested.

M

mamacato

Have the animation pause for a frame or two at the peak of the swing it will help make the weapon feel like it has weight.
What about the opposite? For like, a lightweight slash of sorts.

C

coryru

When it's light weight the attack is generally quicker so you use smear frames between your animation frames to give it a sense of speed.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I feel like charging an attack by holding down a button is a great way to make it feel heavier, Dark Souls 3 does this really well by extending the startup phase of the animation the longer you hold down the button. So you still go through the same animation, but it's stretched out to look slower and more deliberate if you hold down the button for max power.

One of the BIG things I feel like a lot of games get wrong is making enemies get affected by the attack - they should get their attack animations interrupted, have their sprite/model contorted, get knocked back in the direction the attack hit, and sparks and blood droplets should fly off in various directions as well. In Skyrim, everyone just kinda slide around flailing wildly and won't even acknowledge being hit other than by saying "ow.". It doesn't feel like your attacks have any weight at all because they don't impart any momentum on their targets. All of the things I listed above? Imparted momentum. It might be OP to let your attacks interrupt enemy attacks, but having knockback could be more acceptable. Having contortion of sprites is tricky to get right, but it could let you simulate knockback and hurt animations without actually doing anything gameplaywise. (Dark Souls 3 does this as well, and it's really noticeable for big enemies that you can't actually stunlock)

M

mamacato

When it's light weight the attack is generally quicker so you use smear frames between your animation frames to give it a sense of speed.
Suđdenly I feel lighter attacks could speed up (lower frame rate?) for a moment.making you feel like you underestimate your strength. It could be used in a combo as one of the slashes (for a sword, let's say). You randomize which slash it will be and you give them low enough odds. Sounds good?