What is your favorite childhood entertainment source...

Pfap

We have advanced into the future far enough that I can't simply say "show".
I feel that this is relative to the GMC as a whole, because what we do with the past and present determines where the future will go.

What do you want the future... or more extremely your children to play?

Last edited:
G

GVmG

what? like, what I watched or what I played?

I mostly played PS2 games with a classmate, or we went outside and just walked (or biked) and chatted following each other (once or twice getting lost in the countryside).

As for watching, there were three things I watched when growing up:
1. kids shows, be it cartoons of live action. Some I remember are Spongebob, the Fairy Oddparents and the Italian Melevisione*1, and for the anime side Lupin III, Dragonball and Beyblade.
2. documentaries, be it about animals or, more often, space and the universe. This was more with my dad, who has always stimulated my curiosity in this field.
3. conspiracy shows, be it actual documentaries explaining mysteries and cryptids, or full on conspiracy "it was definitely aliens" stuff. Also driven by my dad's similar interests in science and how the world works.

*1 The Melevisione was what I was watching at my grandma's place when 9/11 happened, and I was actually angry because they stopped it to give the news. In my defense I was 4. Also Tonio Cartonio>>>Milo Cotogno.

Pfap

what? like, what I watched or what I played?

I mostly played PS2 games with a classmate, or we went outside and just walked (or biked) and chatted following each other (once or twice getting lost in the countryside).

As for watching, there were three things I watched when growing up:
1. kids shows, be it cartoons of live action. Some I remember are Spongebob, the Fairy Oddparents and the Italian Melevisione*1, and for the anime side Lupin III, Dragonball and Beyblade.
2. documentaries, be it about animals or, more often, space and the universe. This was more with my dad, who has always stimulated my curiosity in this field.
3. conspiracy shows, be it actual documentaries explaining mysteries and cryptids, or full on conspiracy "it was definitely aliens" stuff. Also driven by my dad's similar interests in science and how the world works.

*1 The Melevisione was what I was watching at my grandma's place when 9/11 happened, and I was actually angry because they stopped it to give the news. In my defense I was 4. Also Tonio Cartonio>>>Milo Cotogno.
That's pretty cool, my first time hearing about Melevisione. And I laughed at the "it was definitely aliens" line, I'm still sort of skeptical on whether or not humans have made it to the moon as far as conspiracy theories go.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
I'm counting only younger then 11, so no anime (except one)!

GAMES:
LEGO® Star Wars™ - The Complete Saga
Pokémon Diamond, Sapphire, Soul Silver & White
Ratchet & Clank 2&3
Garry's Mod
Disney PS1 games
Humongous Entertainment games
Nickelodeon & Cartoon Network flash games online

MOVIES:
Star Wars 1-6
Jurassic Park 1&3
Sleeping Beauty
Treasure Planet
Back to the Future 1-3
Pokémon Darkrai and Arceus movies
I cannot remember any more, but probably tons more

TV:
Pokémon
Johnny Test
Dexter's Lab
Courage the Cowardly Doggo
Avatar: The Last Airbender (still my favourite cartoon evah [not counting anime])
Spongebob
Robot Boy
Samurai Jack (I wasn't allowed to watch so did in secret)
Ben 10

TOYS:
Pokémon Cards
LEGO Star Wars
LEGO Batman
LEGO Bionicle
LEGO Mars Mission
I really wanted NERF guns but never got any

MUSIC:
Video game soundtracks mostly

Except for Johnny Test, you could say I had a good taste hahaha. I'm still a huge fan of most of these.

Pfap

I'm counting only younger then 11, so no anime (except one)!

GAMES:
LEGO® Star Wars™ - The Complete Saga
Pokémon Diamond, Sapphire, Soul Silver & White
Ratchet & Clank 2&3
Garry's Mod
Disney PS1 games
Humongous Entertainment games
Nickelodeon & Cartoon Network flash games online

MOVIES:
Star Wars 1-6
Jurassic Park 1&3
Sleeping Beauty
Treasure Planet
Back to the Future 1-3
Pokémon Darkrai and Arceus movies
I cannot remember any more, but probably tons more

TV:
Pokémon
Johnny Test
Dexter's Lab
Courage the Cowardly Doggo
Avatar: The Last Airbender (still my favourite cartoon evah [not counting anime])
Spongebob
Robot Boy
Samurai Jack (I wasn't allowed to watch so did in secret)
Ben 10

TOYS:
Pokémon Cards
LEGO Star Wars
LEGO Batman
LEGO Bionicle
LEGO Mars Mission
I really wanted NERF guns but never got any

MUSIC:
Video game soundtracks mostly

Except for Johnny Test, you could say I had a good taste hahaha. I'm still a huge fan of most of these.
That is a really good list. I really like the Avatar cartoon series as well, I heard that there making a Netflix live action spin off... hopefully they can do it justice.

Kepons

Lost The Bet
Didn't have a computer until I was about 9 or 10 so most of my childhood entertainment was cartoons which also helped me learn English. Some that I can recall from the top of my head are Dexter's Lab, Courage The Cowardly Dog, Scooby Doo, Ben 10, Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Samurai Jack and many others probably.

JackTurbo

Mostly video games as a kid. The Megadrive/Genesis and PS1 were certainly the most influential platforms for me. Sonic 2 was the first game I ever completed.

All the Sonics, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Urban Strike, Golden Axe and Street Fighter were some of my favs on the Sega.

The PS1 era was when I first discovered RPGs. I had completed the Spiderman game in a weekend and my mum took it back to the store and complained that I finished it too quickly. The store assistant suggest FF7. I became obsessed with it and it took me about 3 months to complete (I was like 10).

Favs on the PS1 were FF7, FF8 FF9, Suikoden 1 and 2. Vandal Hearts 1 & 2(which started my love of srpgs/tactical games), Legend of Legaia, THPS1, Die Hard Trilogy, GTA 1 & 2, Resident Evil 1-3, MGS1, Soul Reaver and Wipeout.

I also probably watched Terminator 2 and Return of the Jedi (both on VHS) at least once a week for about a year when I was around ten.

Last edited:

Pfap

Mostly video games as a kid. The Megadrive/Genesis and PS1 were certainly the most influential platforms for me. Sonic 2 was the first game I ever completed.

All the Sonics, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Urban Strike, Golden Axe and Street Fighter were some of my favs on the Sega.

The PS1 era was when I first discovered RPGs. I had completed the Spiderman game in a weekend and my mum took it back to the store and complained that I finished it too quickly. The store assistant suggest FF7. I became obsessed with it and it took me about 3 months to complete (I was like 10).

Favs on the PS1 were FF7, FF8 FF9, Suikoden 1 and 2. Vandal Hearts 1 & 2(which started my love of srpgs/tactical games), Legend of Legaia, THPS1, Die Hard Trilogy, GTA 1 & 2, Resident Evil 1-3, MGS1, Soul Reaver and Wipeout.

I also probably watched Terminator 2 and Return of the Jedi (both on VHS) at least once a week for about a year when I was around ten.
Nice, it always seems that there are people who had an either an N64 or ps1, but not both. I had N64 and the Phantom Menace was something that had captured my attention for many viewings lol, got to love Star Wars.

RollyBug

I've been playing on consoles since I was just a few years old. I believe the N64 was my first. I loved Star Wars Podracers and SW Shadows of the Empire. After that we had a Playstation and racing games, and after that an Xbox and SW Battlefront. Around ten years old I was allowed to a laptop nobody else used anymore and I played stuff like Zoo Tycoon, Star Wars Episode 1 (If you couldn't tell I love the older Star Wars games), and Sim City 4. My childhood was founded in video games.

I'm sensing a theme here.

- Super Metroid, Metroid Prime 1 & 2: Echoes
- Megaman X
- LOZ: Link to the Past, as well as Twilight Princess
- Super Mario 64
- Kingdom Hearts 1
- Sonic 06 (despite its bad reputation, I had a blast playing that game as a kid)
- LEGO Star Wars Trilogy
- Super Mario Galaxy (change my mind: best soundtrack ever)
- Need for Speed: Carbon & NFS: Most Wanted
- Sim City 4
- Space Cadet (going way back here)
- Goldeneye 007
- Halo 1 & 2
- California Speed
- Spongebob Squarepants
- Courage the Cowardly Dog
- Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
- Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
- Code Name Kids Next Door
- Code Lyoko (cool points if you remember that one)
- iCarly
- Victorious (I still see Ariana Grande as that bubbly girl and it's kinda funny)
- Teen Titans (not GO)
- Naruto
- Johnny Test
- Probably a few others that I can't think of at the moment
Also being raised in a musical family (my grandma used to be a piano teacher, my grandpa an opera singer, and my great-grandma an acoustic guitarist), I've been playing piano since I was a kid and even till this day. Guess you could say I was forced into it, but without music idk who or what I would be. I'd spend days learning how to play video game songs and eventually come up with songs of my own. I also drew a lot, mainly cars and swords. But mostly cars. Legos were a big part of my childhood as well. Needless to say I was a pretty well-off kid at the time. Kinda wish I could go back lol.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
CardinalCoder seems we had some similarities in childhood haha! How could I forget iCarly and SimCity 4! I also played the Jurassic Park "Operation Genesis" game. Got it as a gift from my cousin, she didn't like that PC game. And now it's worth 60+ EUR haha.
I am a religious pianist too

Pfap

- Super Metroid, Metroid Prime 1 & 2: Echoes
- Megaman X
- LOZ: Link to the Past, as well as Twilight Princess
- Super Mario 64
- Kingdom Hearts 1
- Sonic 06 (despite its bad reputation, I had a blast playing that game as a kid)
- LEGO Star Wars Trilogy
- Super Mario Galaxy (change my mind: best soundtrack ever)
- Need for Speed: Carbon & NFS: Most Wanted
- Sim City 4
- Space Cadet (going way back here)
- Goldeneye 007
- Halo 1 & 2
- California Speed
- Spongebob Squarepants
- Courage the Cowardly Dog
- Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
- Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
- Code Name Kids Next Door
- Code Lyoko (cool points if you remember that one)
- iCarly
- Victorious (I still see Ariana Grande as that bubbly girl and it's kinda funny)
- Teen Titans (not GO)
- Naruto
- Johnny Test
- Probably a few others that I can't think of at the moment
Also being raised in a musical family (my grandma used to be a piano teacher, my grandpa an opera singer, and my great-grandma an acoustic guitarist), I've been playing piano since I was a kid and even till this day. Guess you could say I was forced into it, but without music idk who or what I would be. I'd spend days learning how to play video game songs and eventually come up with songs of my own. I also drew a lot, mainly cars and swords. But mostly cars. Legos were a big part of my childhood as well. Needless to say I was a pretty well-off kid at the time. Kinda wish I could go back lol.

I personally love Teen Titans Go! A lot of people hate it though, lol. And to this day I am still a huge Lego fan, different from when I was a kid, but I love the abstractions that can be made with Lego bricks.

Has anybody else here played the Lego Island games? Those were some of my favorites, especially Lego Island 2 the bricksters revenge.

CardinalCoder seems we had some similarities in childhood haha! How could I forget iCarly and SimCity 4! I also played the Jurassic Park "Operation Genesis" game. Got it as a gift from my cousin, she didn't like that PC game. And now it's worth 60+ EUR haha.
I am a religious pianist too
That's awesome! I tried playing Sim City 4 again only to find out that it isn't compatible with Win 10 :( Would make sense though, the game's pretty old. I still have the disk case for it (with two installation disks! :eek:).
I personally love Teen Titans Go! A lot of people hate it though, lol.
Yeah it's not that I hate GO! but just that the original series is far more superior imo. I will admit GO! gets a few laughs outta me though.

Simon Gust

That's awesome! I tried playing Sim City 4 again only to find out that it isn't compatible with Win 10 :( Would make sense though, the game's pretty old. I still have the disk case for it (with two installation disks! :eek:).
Simcity 4 deluxe is compatible with windows 8. So I think it should work with windows 10 also.
There might be differences in the disk version and the steam version.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
A combination of marbles, dominoes, plastic soldiers, and a card table. Sometimes some legos as well. What more do you need?
As far as media is concerned, it was largely the Pokemon anime, Dragonball Z, Wallace and Grommet, Classic Mario titles, Wii Sports Resort, Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga, Super Bomberman 2, Earthbound, Homestar Runner, Mario Paint, and an obscure fighting game known as Clay Fighter.

Oh, yeah. Almost forgot the Pokemon TCG.

Edit- @Cantavanda your pretty much exactly as sheltered as I was. Lol.

65c102

probably Denshi Block ST100 electronic kit, electronic components in plastic blocks and you link together to make electronic projects

Simon Gust

Simulation Games:
Simcity 3000, Simcity 4, Simcity Societies, Simcity 2013, Simcity Creators (DS)
Sims 2 and a bit Sims 3
I was always about Simcity and my sister always about Sims, weird how that works right?
Zoo Tycoon 2 and 3
Geniu$ (Not intelligent enough, but there were cheats)

Puzzle Games:
Capers on cloud 9
Zoombinis (was not intelligent enough for it but whatever)
Myst 5: End of Ages
Lightspeed (2003)
Crazy Machines
Kyodai Mahjongg

Racing Games:
Lego racers 1
Lego racers 2 (still play this one a lot, I like speedrunning this one)
Mario Kart DS
Mario Kart Wii

Strategy Games:
The settlers: Heritage of Kings (Also still play a lot, also speedrunning, glitchmaster)
CIV 4

Arcade Games:
Ricochet: Lost worlds
Magic Ball 1, 2 and 3
Tetris 4000 and Arkanoid 4000
Big Kahuna Reef
Azteca
Star Defender 1
Diamond Drop
Hyperballoid
Beetle Bug 1

Sport Games:
Fifa 10 (DS)
Wii Sports Resort

Other Games:
Minecraft and Terraria (I was still a child back then technically)
Brain Training (DS, mostly the Dr. Mario Minigame ripoff)
Lego Starwars Complete Trilogy (DS) and Complete Saga (DS)
Spyro: The eternal night (DS)
Some random Bionicle game
SWTCW (DS)

All I remember right now.

EDIT:
I think some games I am missing here are from Reflexive games. I played those a lot but I didn't remember the names.

Last edited:

Pfap

Simulation Games:
Simcity 3000, Simcity 4, Simcity Societies, Simcity 2013, Simcity Creators (DS)
Sims 2 and a bit Sims 3
I was always about Simcity and my sister always about Sims, weird how that works right?
Zoo Tycoon 2 and 3
Geniu$ (Not intelligent enough, but there were cheats)

Puzzle Games:
Capers on cloud 9
Zoombinis (was not intelligent enough for it but whatever)
Myst 5: End of Ages
Lightspeed (2003)
Crazy Machines
Kyodai Mahjongg

Racing Games:
Lego racers 1
Lego racers 2 (still play this one a lot, I like speedrunning this one)
Mario Kart DS
Mario Kart Wii

Strategy Games:
The settlers: Heritage of Kings (Also still play a lot, also speedrunning, glitchmaster)
CIV 4

Arcade Games:
Ricochet: Lost worlds
Magic Ball 1, 2 and 3
Tetris 4000 and Arkanoid 4000
Big Kahuna Reef
Azteca
Star Defender 1

Sport Games:
Fifa 10 (DS)
Wii Sports Resort

Other Games:
Minecraft and Terraria (I was still a child back then technically)
Brain Training (DS, mostly the Dr. Mario Minigame ripoff)
Lego Starwars Complete Trilogy (DS) and Complete Saga (DS)
Spyro: The eternal night (DS)
Some random Bionicle game
SWTCW (DS)

All I remember right now.
I forgot about Lego racers! I really played the 1st one obsessively as a kid, but never got the 2nd one. Now I'm curious though I may have to try to get it.

Simon Gust

I forgot about Lego racers! I really played the 1st one obsessively as a kid, but never got the 2nd one. Now I'm curious though I may have to try to get it.
I doubt you'll get it running with the disk version.
I got it from some kiddy on youtube that provided an installer, not sure how they accomplished that.

Simon Gust

I am still missing some games but I just can't remember the names.
One is about a power outage that has occured and you're given an electric circuit where pieces fall from above and fill up the board.
Your goal is to make a connection using these pieces from the left side to the right side. Everytime a connection happens, the pieces are destroyed and you get points. The clock is against you. There are powerups on the field that can restore time and some other stuff.
Does anyone know that game?

Niels

My own fantasy, Saturday morning cartoons (transformers, Dino riders, dungeons and dragons cartoon) and when my father finally bought a pc I played games like operation wolf, kings quest, zeliard, the incredible machine and later on doom, quake, unreal, unreal tournament, baldurs gate, planescape:torment, diablo etc...
I actually got my first console when I was 18, so I don't hold snes games as close to my heart as most other gamers.

I think reading books was a favourite past time, would borrow several every week from the library. All sorts of them. Stories, non-ficiton, history books with lots of illustrations etc...

As for games, there were tons of boardgames (this was in the late 80s, early 90s) : I can just remember Space Crusade/Monopoly/Chess among a few others.

Electronic games, when I was perhaps 8 I had this game called Firefox. It was one cool electronic game I had that got a lot of playtime:

Firefox F7 - Vintage 1980's Hand Held Electronic Game
upload_2018-11-5_11-10-40.png

As for computers, I started playing games with a Sega SC-3000, followed by a C64 (my favourite), then the PC.
Also had a megadrive/genesis - best game was Dune 2, one of the early RTS's, and FIFA 1995!

JackTurbo

Completely omitted cartoons. I loved cartoons as a kid. Mostly the more action oriented shows from the 90's, but was also a fan of some 80's era stuff that probably saw on re-runs rather than first time round.

Some of my personal Favourites:

Xmen: The Animated Series

Batman: the Animated Series

The BotMaster

SwatKats

Conan the Adventurer

Honorable mentions also go to: Ulysses 31, Transformers, Thundercats, Spiderman the Animated Series and TMNT

Last edited:
M

Misty

We have advanced into the future far enough that I can't simply say "show".
I feel that this is relative to the GMC as a whole, because what we do with the past and present determines where the future will go.

What do you want the future... or more extremely your children to play?
Basically, what I want is for cartoons (and games) to go back looking like this:

And not looking like this:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
TV and movies were scarce where we lived. And computers weren't around yet. But books were a major influence. I vividly remember certain novels I read as a kid. They helped shape who I am.

A Separate Peace
Siddhartha
The Illustrated Man
Catcher in the Rye
A Wrinkle in Time
Call of the Wild
Lord of the Flies
Adventure of Augie March

L

Lucia

there was a very old website called Game Hyppo. I dunno if you know it. there were a lot of free games uploaded and playable on pc. Now I prefer to play only "online games" but few years ago internet wasn't 24h at my home :D

D

DeathandGrim

My parents always made sure we had most current game system that was out because my dad was also into gaming. So I had the Nintendos and Segas and Playstation (I bought my PS4, but up to PS3 was bought by parents)

I watched a lot cartoons and can still clearly remember a lot of the pilot episodes for shows like Pokemon, Batman the animated Series, and Spongebob

And I had a lot of toys as well. But the one thing that entertained me was drawing and writing as a kid. I used to do it so much that my parents would actively hide paper from me because I would use a lot of it doodling and writing (which I know now as an adult that paper is kind of expensive to keep buying)

Pfap

TV and movies were scarce where we lived. And computers weren't around yet. But books were a major influence. I vividly remember certain novels I read as a kid. They helped shape who I am.

A Separate Peace
Siddhartha
The Illustrated Man
Catcher in the Rye
A Wrinkle in Time
Call of the Wild
Lord of the Flies
Adventure of Augie March
Actually "reading" fiction and with the quotes I mean getting engaged in the story is something I have not done since I was like 15... but, I distinctly remember the hero and the crown by Robin McKinley, and from your list call of the wild sticks out.