• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Delay on [Texture Group - Default]

KishSquared

When Gamemaker 2 compiles my game, it sometimes only takes about 30 seconds. However, roughly half the time the compilation gets stuck on "Texture Group - Default", sometimes for upwards of 5 minutes.

Any idea why this seemingly random delay occurs? It comes and goes so I know the program is capable of a fast compilation, so this gets frustrating. I've updated several times, so it persists through reinstallation of GM2.

TrunX

As far as I know the first time you compile something and every time after you've added a new sprite to the project it takes much longer.

KishSquared

That's correct, but it shouldn't vary by 5 minutes session-to-session. I can compile the game in 5 minutes, kill the window, and hit 30 seconds on the next compile. Totally random.

GMWolf

aka fel666
That's correct, but it shouldn't vary by 5 minutes session-to-session. I can compile the game in 5 minutes, kill the window, and hit 30 seconds on the next compile. Totally random.
not random.
GM will cahe data around to reduce compile times.
Textures get recomputed when you change them in some way. this can be expensive.

KishSquared

Okay thanks, that's helpful. What constitutes a change to the texture group? Maybe I can find the pattern if I can figure that out.

KishSquared

Never done any of those things, I only have the default texture group. Must be something else that triggers it then :/

kupo15

Never done any of those things, I only have the default texture group. Must be something else that triggers it then :/
You've never edited your sprites in any way or created a new sprite? Also, how many sprites do you have anyway? A lot or little?