Idea Clothesline Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ethian

Greetings...

Since time ago, i had an original idea for a game, original because isn't currenly used and copyrighted officially... or maybe yes, but by very little known media...

It's about a game where you are on a world tour, and you need to pick up all the dry clothes off the clothesline and save them to their place, but for avoid losing, you need to avoid what makes the clothes get dirty... avoiding dirty obstacles... and enemies like a dog, that can bite the clothes or get them dirty with its pee and poop.
When i shown the idea to this website, they said me the game idea meets my full-lenght-game requirements (Fun, Interesting and Family-Friendly)

But there's a problem...
I don't know how to sketch the idea to make it fun as it seems...
Also, i want to add to it something that seems fun to make to me to the idea...
Help me please?

Toque

Not sure I understand. What does "sketch" mean to you?

You have a game concept but no visual idea of what it might look like? Or idea what the actual game play is?

Or you want to know how to make the game fun?

E

ethian

You have a game concept but no visual idea of what it might look like? Or idea what the actual game play is?

Or you want to know how to make the game fun?
Exactly.

I actually sketched how the game will feel and look...
I guess they'll found the gameplay fun anyways no matter what... problem solved.
However, i always think on make the game similar to Undertale for some inspiring reason, including its graphics, uncopyrighted overworld and even the part where you need to pick up the clothes from the clothesline and save them without getting them dirty, that is the combat system, look like Undertale's combat system... especially how the enemies and bosses look and move, and the part you need to avoid the bullets.
Undertale's enemy animations inspire me to make similar animations.
Can use that reference or not? Well, for avoid copyright issues, i'm making the two colors used for the enemies and bosses in game, different than black and white... different per current world...
What do you think?

You need to forget about Undertale.
If I understand correctly you are trying to figure out the specific gameplay of your game idea. My first thought it to make something akin to Frogger, where you have your clothes at one side, the clothesline at the opposite side, and obstacles like dogs and poop in between that you have to manoeuvre around

E

ethian

You need to forget about Undertale.
Seems fun to do, but i can't. The assets of my game i make naturally are Undertale-ish, and i'm used to make them on that style! And it's fun for me!
All i do when this comes to my mind, is avoid using enjoyment stuff related to Undertale (Music, videos, fangames...), that is fun to do for me...
"If you're sick of Undertale, all you need to do is simply avoid Undertale, surely", this even in the mind?
I still love Undertale because of some of its music, especialy, that makes me feel something that i like it when hearing it... same goes to other songs... but, now, it's enough, so, i'll better stay with those other songs instead of the Undertale OST and it's fan-made tracks...
Also, they told me Undertale fans can be inmature, so... let's move on to something else, and quickly! It's fun to do, though!

Toque

I’ve never played undertale. I know kind of what’s it about. I can’t comment on undertale.

Undertale is a loop in your step event you can’t seem to break out of.

If your stuck in undertale you can take elements and concepts you like and move forward.

Not sounds or images. That’s another loop you seem prone to get stuck in.

Sorry I can’t help. I have a feeling your project will drift towards being an undertale. I don’t know undertale.

E

ethian

Undertale is a loop in your step event you can’t seem to break out of.

If your stuck in undertale you can take elements and concepts you like and move forward.
It's exactly what i'm doing with Undertale currently, i know it since before you told me this.

Sorry, but, after all, i can't make something new, because, after all, program is not fun to me... i always give up on the complex parts!

The other reason i can't make my game for now (Maybe never) is:

"My music for the game doesn't turn out like i always expect. I like Undertale's OST because there's a few themes that feel me something that i like to me and that's why i like them. What i always expect about my music is to turn out a thing that makes me feel that same feeling as a few song from the Undertale OST and others, okay?"

The sole thing i have now is to wait a few years later and make the clothesline videogame making a team, i'll be the director and the responsible for the sprites... a few other people will be the programmers, and the composers, and the resposible for the sound effects that must be the cartoon ones, (I can't use them for now) then publish it, stuff that i can't do now, y'know why? i can't explain why, because... i can't explain it, too.

What i do now meanwhile? Search for a new game that is better than Undertale?

I was thinking on the game called "A Hat in Time", but isn't rated by ESRB nor has reviewed by Common Sense Media, also, i don't saw it's more good that Undertale... i guess isn't so good as Undertale or...

I can't check the game on the other way to know it's for me or not, because it hurts to me when i encounter a written or heard swear word! So, i go to a site where i can get the answer safely, and swears are shown censored for all public (Like in this website) like Common Sense Media.

I got interest on another game called "Night in the Woods", but i checked its review by Common Sense Media, and i discovered they said "s***" uncensored! So this game is not for me, and it's also why i lost the interest on the game later.

Also, i seek out for something new surfing on the internet, but i always encounter uncensored swear words! I did this before, and i stopped it because of the uncensored swear words.

So, here's the requirements to make the thing be for me :
  • No uncensored foul language (Especially "f***", "s***" and more.)
  • No s*xual content nor s*xual themes
  • No explicit violence with blood.
  • No drinking, nor dr*gs, nor smoking.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

ethian

Sorry, but my friend is now using this idea for make his game, not me.
But, how bad is that? We're both friends!

Way too many people want to make a game "like Undertale". Why? Is it because it sold well and they want to make money too?
Personally, I think there's a line between letting Undertale "inspire" you and just straight up stealing its mechanics/concept.

It's alright for a game to inspire you, but what you make should be something new and not taken directly from something else. Perhaps have a bunch of different inspirations and combine those inspirations to make something completely different. No good artist only has one inspiration.

My personal opinion? Undertale's great, but it's not GREAT. It, and Deltarune, are extremely overrated and I see tons of comments and videos of people wanting to make games "like Undertale"... be different from them.

As far as your game goes, your ideas being used with Undertale-style gameplay don't sound right to me. A game about protecting laundry should somehow involve bullet hell combat and multiple choice endings??

Here's an idea: Make it a side-scrolling platformer. For each level, you must get from point A (the closeline) to point B, the person's house. Fight enemies along the way. Each time you take a hit or fall into water,mud,etc., the clothes get "dirty". Too dirty and you have to start the level over.

Also, your "friend" sounds like an a**.

Last edited:
E

ethian

stealing its mechanics/concept.
Wow... i l discovered all one person does when Undertale inspires them to make a game is to steal the mechanics/concept...
Also, your "friend" sounds like an a**.
So, i won't talk about my friend this time or anymore...
bullet hell combat and multiple choice endings??
The part of Undertale that inspired me to make a game most is the bullet hell combat, but not the multiple choice endings... i know someone else thay got inspired by the multiple choice endings to make his own original game that is about choice.
I made the Clothesline game too similar to Undertale in themes of the bullet hell combat... or something else... but now, i'm making things less similar to Undertale making the gaming experience less similar to Undertale...

Wow... i l discovered all one person does when Undertale inspires them to make a game is to steal the mechanics/concept...

I made the Clothesline game too similar to Undertale in themes of the bullet hell combat... or something else... but now, i'm making things less similar to Undertale making the gaming experience less similar to Undertale...
As you should. You should strive to be creative and original. It's OK to borrow ideas and mechanics from other games so long as they don't look exactly like Undertale, for example, and you don't use the same names or words that Undertale uses. Throw your own spin on it, make it YOU'RE game. Also, you want people to play your game. Why would someone play your game over something that already exists (Undertale)? You need to make sure the game pops out and is unique, to give people reason to play/buy it.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You could do a game like Kuru Kuru Kurinin where the clothesline spins around, so you need to time your movement so it doesn't hit any dirty things.

Joe Ellis

Another @ethian thread...
You need to stop worrying so much DUDE, just enjoy making things
The game sounds like a good idea, and if you made it good, it would be good, or maybe even amazing
Plus, if I was you, I'd stop worrying about copying off other things that have been done before, cus pretty much everything you can think of has been done before in some way or another, but the important thing is that you do it in a certain way that hasnt been done before, and there's infinite possibilities with that cus each person's brain is different

E

ethian

I am thinking on release my game idea to the public...

But i need to present it on another way when doing it instead.

After all, i like this game idea as it seems it doesnt include sny violence like most videogames...

I just wanna point out that game ideas are a dime a dozen. Give me a nice cup of tea and 10 minutes and I'll give you 10 game ideas. Ideas are -nothing- without execution. Seriously, there's a bazillion people out there with game ideas. Everyone who thinks about game design probably has hundreds, if not thousands, of game ideas they've come up with. The real work begins AFTER you have the idea. The real work begins when you sit down, day after day, and program it out. When you have to decide what parts work in practice and what parts need to be trimmed. When you run into problems that seem impossible to fix, but persevere and come up with solutions.

Ideas are easy, execution is hard.

NightFrost

Ideas are easy, execution is hard.
Going a little off topic but... I've seen some people elsewhere who think they can run an outfit and be the boss and the ideas guy. But what's likely to happen after they've brought together a programmer, an artist, and a musician... is that they kick out the ideas guy for being redundant, as they bring nothing to the day-to-day and still cash their salary.

Niels

Ethian, you should just make something (a small demo) and get some feedback...
You are stuck in the idea phase for more than a year now.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Going a little off topic but... I've seen some people elsewhere who think they can run an outfit and be the boss and the ideas guy. But what's likely to happen after they've brought together a programmer, an artist, and a musician... is that they kick out the ideas guy for being redundant, as they bring nothing to the day-to-day and still cash their salary.
To be fair, they're not COMPLETELY redundant if they're good enough with project management (SCRUM, kanban, getting people that hate each other to communicate with each other) or marketing (that boring part that everybody hates) to actually contribute something to the team. So if you absolutely wanna be an ideas guy refusing to learn even basic art/music/programming skills you should pick up that instead.

...or write a book.

E

ethian

Don't worry, i will work on that idea without forgetting it.

Just follow me in my other social media (They're in the "Information" section of my profile) for stay tuned.

I started to try to work in the game...

But when i finish it, i need to present it outside this website

And i will put Nemesio Sherlock Holmes on it for some reason.

I'm sorry, the game can't be developed for now.

Maybe in the future...

Also, no more claims.

Thread closed???

E

ethian

Good news! For some reason, i started to program the idea since today!

But for some reason, the development will be larger than expected...

E

ethian

I calculated something and the results say that my clothesline game idea will be in official development in 13 years, sorry.

I can't tell the full story here, sorry.

And please no complains.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.